Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto-emergency braking on stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is the conditions for the car to enable the automatic emergency brake when the car comes to a stop? I notice sometimes when I brake to a stop the car enables a 'hold' brake which is nice since i can then take my foot off the brake but sometimes it doesn't and the car continues to drift even if it was stopped fully. I also notice if i push the brake harder it seems to have various modes of hold which feel distinct. in some cases it shows a green note that i must hit the brake to disable the hold and sometimes it shows a different red icon about holding. sometimes it shows nothing but holds anyways. is there a logic to all this seemingly random behavior?

additionally there is a steering wheel icon top left that seems to randomly light up when i am stopped and goes away again whenever it wants. i am not using any form of cruise control or auto pilot yet.

Your thread title is a bit confusing, considering what you're asking about, but I'm guessing you meant emergency brake as in using the "emergency brake" (aka parking brake) to hold a car in place, vs the Automatic Emergency Braking which will attempt to lessen a pending collision impact by applying the brakes automatically to reduce speed.

The steering wheel icon indicates whether Autosteer is available. You shouldn't use it on most surface streets (at least generally and for now) since as you've noticed it may decide suddenly to not be available among other reasons, but if it thinks it can see enough road to activate it'll let you make whatever mistakes you want ;)

The hold is often referred to hill hold to keep the car from rolling back, though you can use it anywhere - I use it when going through drivethroughs. To engage, simply press the brake pedal until the Hold icon appears, and release the brake. To release the hold, press the brake pedal again. I have once pressed the accelerator to exit hold mold but that resulted in a jerk of acceleration (I suppose you could practice the treshold and do so more smoothly), but I don't do that except by accident.

I've also seen the press brake message, but I think that only appears when in park? If you are in hold and open the door, it automatically engages park. It will also engage park if your butt leaves the seat (or does so enough for the car to think it has).

Your thread title is a bit confusing, considering what you're asking about, but I'm guessing you meant emergency brake as in using the "emergency brake" (aka parking brake) to hold a car in place, vs the Automatic Emergency Braking which will attempt to lessen a pending collision impact by applying the brakes automatically to reduce speed.

The steering wheel icon indicates whether Autosteer is available. You shouldn't use it on most surface streets (at least generally and for now) since as you've noticed it may decide suddenly to not be available among other reasons, but if it thinks it can see enough road to activate it'll let you make whatever mistakes you want ;)

The hold is often referred to hill hold to keep the car from rolling back, though you can use it anywhere - I use it when going through drivethroughs. To engage, simply press the brake pedal until the Hold icon appears, and release the brake. To release the hold, press the brake pedal again. I have once pressed the accelerator to exit hold mold but that resulted in a jerk of acceleration (I suppose you could practice the treshold and do so more smoothly), but I don't do that except by accident.

I've also seen the press brake message, but I think that only appears when in park? If you are in hold and open the door, it automatically engages park. It will also engage park if your butt leaves the seat (or does so enough for the car to think it has).

I ask about the emergency brake because I belive that is what is being automatically activated when the car comes to a stop and the 'hold' pops up in place of my speed. It looks like an emergency brake icon but it may well just be using the regular brakes? sorry if I am confused by it but my question was about this confusion and exactly what is the feature and how does it work and when? For me it doesn't require any significant brake pressure after the car comes to a stop. It comes on almost every time I slowly brake to a stop behind a car no matter how softly I brake. Maybe there is something mis-calibrated?

Steering wheel seemed strange to me because it only ever comes on when I am stopped behind a car and goes off when moving and other random times on and off. It doesn't seem to have a method to it's madness.

I ask about the emergency brake because I belive that is what is being automatically activated when the car comes to a stop and the 'hold' pops up in place of my speed. It looks like an emergency brake icon but it may well just be using the regular brakes? sorry if I am confused by it but my question was about this confusion and exactly what is the feature and how does it work and when? For me it doesn't require any significant brake pressure after the car comes to a stop. It comes on almost every time I slowly brake to a stop behind a car no matter how softly I brake. Maybe there is something mis-calibrated?

Steering wheel seemed strange to me because it only ever comes on when I am stopped behind a car and goes off when moving and other random times on and off. It doesn't seem to have a method to it's madness.
Not 100% sure but it seems like I don't get that green message unless my car is pointed downhill when I engage the brake hold - I don't get that green message when I am either level or pointed uphill.

Brake hold shouldn't occur unless you really dig in the brake when stopped. If you just brake enough to come to a stop, it shouldn't go into brake hold. But perhaps that threshold is different with/without crawl? I have crawl on. Maybe with crawl off you'll trigger it easier?

If it's really doing it every time you stop and you're only braking just enough to stop the car, then you should probably have a service center look at it and see if something is off.

Brake hold shouldn't occur unless you really dig in the brake when stopped. If you just brake enough to come to a stop, it shouldn't go into brake hold. But perhaps that threshold is different with/without crawl? I have crawl on. Maybe with crawl off you'll trigger it easier?

It's creep. And yes, with creep on you have to push the brake a lot more at a stop to engage hold than with creep off.

It's creep. And yes, with creep on you have to push the brake a lot more at a stop to engage hold than with creep off.

I have creep turned off and it literally goes into 'hold' every time the car comes to a stop regardless of how hard i press the brake except sometimes on a downhill angle it doesn't for some reason and I have to press the brake harder. It just seems inconsistent I guess and somewhat depends on the angle of the road, favoring not drifting backwards to not drifting forwards.

Not 100% sure but it seems like I don't get that green message unless my car is pointed downhill when I engage the brake hold - I don't get that green message when I am either level or pointed uphill.

I get 3 or 4 different variations on the same message or none at all. One that tells me i need to hit the brakes to release with a longer amount of text, one is like a smaller icon green i think and less text and one up top.

I have found that Hold comes on about a second or two after the car has come to a complete stop. It doesn't seem to depend just on how hard you press the pedal but rather how long you keep the pedal pressed after the speedometer reads zero. Wait a second or two and hold comes on. I'm not sure why anyone would avoid using hold when stopped on an incline. Without hold, the car will drift backwards even in creep mode and could hit the car behind you.

I have found that Hold comes on about a second or two after the car has come to a complete stop. It doesn't seem to depend just on how hard you press the pedal but rather how long you keep the pedal pressed after the speedometer reads zero. Wait a second or two and hold comes on. I'm not sure why anyone would avoid using hold when stopped on an incline. Without hold, the car will drift backwards even in creep mode and could hit the car behind you.
If you're in creep mode, though, hold only comes on if you push down a little harder on the brake pedal after coming to a stop. I use both Creep and Hold mode all the time. It works very well for me.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I like the hold feature a lot since I live in ATL stop and go traffic it makes much more comfortable. I only wish it was more consistent in how it turns on and would turn on every time the car is stopped for more than a second and didn't have 3 different variations on indications on the display.

I ask about the emergency brake because I belive that is what is being automatically activated when the car comes to a stop and the 'hold' pops up in place of my speed. It looks like an emergency brake icon but it may well just be using the regular brakes
It is not an “emergency brake”.

I recommend reading the Model 3 owners manual, page 54. See https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

You are pressing the brake pedal firmly enough to activate the Vehicle Hold feature. With practice I think you will learn how to stop the car without activating that feature if that is what you want to do.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jdcollins5
It is not an “emergency brake”.

I recommend reading the Model 3 owners manual, page 54. See https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

You are pressing the brake pedal firmly enough to activate the Vehicle Hold feature. With practice I think you will learn how to stop the car without activating that feature if that is what you want to do.

I tried with intent not to activate it and it isn't possible. It activates when the car stops and the car is angled upward or flat. when angled downward it doesn't near as easily and I have to press for it. According to the manual it requires an additional press which it clearly doesn't. In any case the manual is pretty sparse with actual details about exactly how it is activated which is why I posted here originally. I already read the manual just the car doesn't behave with simple intention. Sounds like the sensor is not calibrated properly similar to the left turn stalk issue I am also having.

I tried with intent not to activate it and it isn't possible. It activates when the car stops and the car is angled upward or flat. when angled downward it doesn't near as easily and I have to press for it. According to the manual it requires an additional press which it clearly doesn't. In any case the manual is pretty sparse with actual details about exactly how it is activated which is why I posted here originally. I already read the manual just the car doesn't behave with simple intention. Sounds like the sensor is not calibrated properly similar to the left turn stalk issue I am also having.
Have you tried turning creep on, and seeing if it has any effect on how hold-happy the car is? (just for troubleshooting purposes, that's not a fix even if it did "fix" it)

I think there was a known issue with the left stalk that you may need to have them replace the stalk for (if it's that same issue).

I would definitely schedule a visit to the SC to have both issues checked out.

Reactions: groovyd
The various versions of hold mode have nothing to do with emergency braking. Please change your thread title so as to not mislead people, and provide a useful context for future readers. And then drive the car for a few more weeks - you'll get familiar with how hold mode works in different situations. It's a great feature!

Have you tried turning creep on, and seeing if it has any effect on how hold-happy the car is? (just for troubleshooting purposes, that's not a fix even if it did "fix" it)

I think there was a known issue with the left stalk that you may need to have them replace the stalk for (if it's that same issue).

I would definitely schedule a visit to the SC to have both issues checked out.

was told they could fix the stalk by one of their mobile repair guys but haven't heard back about actually doing it.

The various versions of hold mode have nothing to do with emergency braking. Please change your thread title so as to not mislead people, and provide a useful context for future readers. And then drive the car for a few more weeks - you'll get familiar with how hold mode works in different situations. It's a great feature!

enough with your emergency braking disorder... no one cares and there is no feature for me to change the title if i even cared. thankfully i don't