Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto emergency braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this feature supposed to be for autopilot only or is it suppose to work when I’m driving?

I was a bit shocked my car automatically did the emergency brake when I was fully aware of the car in front with not using autopilot.

Is this feature supposed to be for autopilot only or is it suppose to work when I’m driving?

I was a bit shocked my car automatically did the emergency brake when I was fully aware of the car in front with not using autopilot.

All the time. But only supposed to happen when accident is unavoidable mainly to lessen impact. I've gotten the warning beeps tons of times when I wasn't in any danger but never had the braking when not on autopilot in similar situations.

Interesting that you noticed this for the first time today, as I also had my first ever experience of full on emergency breaking at a stoplight today. Feature works at all times, regardless if AP is engaged and is a feature available on all Model 3s

Interesting that you noticed this for the first time today, as I also had my first ever experience of full on emergency breaking at a stoplight today. Feature works at all times, regardless if AP is engaged and is a feature available on all Model 3s

Yes I love that all Model 3s not just the higher trims have AEB/Safety like lane keeping. I find the lane keeping a bit too strict for city driving. I might use it more on long highway drives.

Was there a vehicle in front of you or are you saying it braked when it came to a traffic light?

Light turned green, me maybe a bit distracted but car at most 10 mph since we just started moving. The car in front of me accelerated quickly then stopped abruptly. I was slower to accelerate and had 2 car lengths in front. Noticed the front car red lights and pressed the breaks and was slowing down already but then AEB slammed the breaks fully. There was no danger in this situation and would call it fantom breaking but at least I know the feature activates.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
It too happened to me for the first time ever 2 days ago. I was exiting the freeway and car in front of me suddenly switched to the next lane to avoid stopped traffic ahead. I needed to brake harder than normal but still in control and as I was approaching the stopped car ahead of me at about 20 mph, emergency braking kicked in and stopped car with full force. I didn’t expect that. I just updated to 2019.32.2.2 last week.