TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto Execs: Plug-In Hybrids Will Soar, Pure EVs Decline

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Design News - Auto Execs: Plug-In Hybrids Will Soar, Pure EVs Decline

2. Sparky

Sparky Member

Well this isn't too surprising. Companies like Tesla are successful only because they overturn the corporate "thought" process.
    Actually,, I found the stats in the article a bit surprising:

"Asked to name the "electric vehicle technology that will attract the most consumer demand" in a KMPG International survey, 36 percent of auto execs chose plug-in hybrids, while only 11 percent cited battery-electric vehicles (BEVs)".

So, it's only about 3 to 1 hybrid to BEV ratio. And the other 50% believes the CAFE future is what? Diesel? Hydrogen?

3. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I think we're both right - EVs will take off in the next decade, but ICEs will still be around for a while. The automobile "replaced" horse and buggy by 1915 (Model T came out in 1908), yet horse and buggies were around in both Europe and US well into WW II.

4. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

So if true, I'll see the transition right as I die. hahahaha.

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

This is encouraging to me as a Tesla investor. My biggest concern has been that the success of the Model S would start a gold rush to BEVs. Looks like auto execs still don't see the writing on the wall. All the better for Tesla IMO.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

With the exception of Tesla, the automobile manufacturers' customers are the dealers. EVs are disliked by the dealers because of the limited service and parts opportunities. As long as the automobile manufacturers are locked into the dealer system, they will never seriously adopt real EVs that compete with Tesla.

7. GSP

GSP Member

I think all of these execs believe that a 265-mile EV with 300 mph charging is not possible. How they can think this with the Model S on the market is beyond me.

I do think PHEVs will be more popular than BEVs in the near future. Primarily since there are no other BEVs that are at Tesla's level.

GSP

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

News flash: Executives polled say everything they do is right.

9. hvb

hvb Member

One of the hurdles to pure-EV adoption is the lack of curbside charging. Most cars in the city are parked on the street, and unless an infrastructure is developed to allow these cars to charge without a garage, those people will continue to use gasoline.

10. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Beg to differ. As soon as driving a gasoline car is no longer a viable personal transportation solution, existing technology will be installed within weeks for curbside parking. It's an infrastructure rollout like electrifying homes, or sewer systems, or A/C. When you see the new, you just can't bear any longer to live with the old.