Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Fold/Auto Tilt issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 75D. Living in Ontario I was worried about ice build up in the mirrors so I decided to turn auto-fold and auto-tilt off whenever there was forecast precipitation and the temperature would be below freezing.

Approx 1 week ago, with auto-fold off, I returned to the vehicle and the drivers side mirror was extended, passenger side folded. I had to turn auto-fold back on and switch into and out of Park to get the passenger mirror to extend.

Today again with forecast temps below freezing (driving home in light rain/snow mix) I turned auto-fold OFF while I was driving home. When I went to leave this evening both mirrors were folded even though I had parked with them extended.

I called in and the first thing Tesla had me do was to cycle the auto-fold/auto-tilt settings off and on (leaving them both on afterwards) and then to reboot my screen (I don't know the technical term for the screen). When the main screen came back on the settings were different than prior to the reboot (fold off, tilt on). We tried again leaving auto-fold/auto-tilt both off followed by a reboot. Again the settings came back different than prior to reboot (fold off, tilt on)

Tesla doesn't know why this is happening and what they're going to do about it

Anyone have this issue before? Anyone have a solution? How good are the auto-fold mirrors in winter with snow/ice?

I'm not sure the issue is Tesla specific as I would think other mirrors in other cars would also get stuck with enough ice/snow. Yeah those foldable mirrors are useful in tight spaces. But not perfect for cold weather and ice. I'm north of the GTA and west of the GTA a lot. Have a 2015 S and a 2016 X. I've learned from my own experiences to turn off the auto-fold mirrors in the winter. Sometimes with cold/ice they will freeze and you basically have to push against them to break the ice seal. I don't like doing that as it feels like some mechanical part will be harmed so I try to leave them open in the winter. A car wash (heated) can take off the ice or I've used a 50/50 isopropyl alchol /water mix to help unfreeze it as well.

I've learned from my own experiences to turn off the auto-fold mirrors in the winter. Sometimes with cold/ice they will freeze and you basically have to push against them to break the ice seal.

Exactly. My problem is that the setting on the MCU doesn't persist and sometimes when I have it set to Auto-Fold OFF I come out and the mirrors are folded. Sometimes 1, sometimes both.

i feel your pain. Luckily today was a bit warmer. When it gets cold again be prepared to apply some physics to the mirrors. I guess if it wears out it should be a warranty item.
it happened again this morning at 0600 as I was leaving work after being outside all night. luckily it was barely above freezing. I have spoken to Tesla about the motors being damaged due to having to force them against the ice, and they said "We would be able replace them at this time as a courtesy" this time.... this time.... It's not broken now it likely will wear out and break sooner due to the setting not working FFS

Maybe I should move south.... then I won’t have this worry
Moving south may not help. I'm in Hilton Head, South Carolina. We had freezing rain, turning to snow two days ago. It's still on the ground with temps in the 20 degree F range. While driving in the freezing rain both mirrors froze and all the sensors (2016 Model S) were covered with ice. Whenever I came to a stop the collision alarm sounded. When I pulled into my garage the same thing happened. As I left the car, the mirrors would not fold in. Once I removed the ice the mirrors folded in fine when I pressed the fob. When the Ice melted away from the sensors, all returned to normal. No more false alarms. A new experience for sure.

In the past few weeks I came across the exact same issue as the OP. I turned off mirror autofold...and after I leave the car the mirrors autofold. In my case it is always both mirrors.

To me this screams software bug. I contacted Tesla and they told me to take it into the service center.

Does anyone out there have a S and autofold Off...and it works fine (i.e. doesn't autofold)?

My mirror auto tilt works perfectly.

It may depend on what firmware you are on as the settings/features get fiddled with also. They have changed how it behaves when you manually fold it (doesn’t now respond to fob presence until next manually unfolding, yay!) and auto unfold at speed is now 30 MPH/50 kph.

So, I assume you all are on at least 2017.50.3? My mirrors work as they should (knock on aluminum).

I had this issue last night and it wasn't due to temperature because it was in the 50's (F). I have auto-fold set to off. When I went to my car, the side mirrors were folded in. I turned on the car and started to back out of the driveway. The actual mirrors tilted down like they normally do, but the housing did not fold out. I had to turn auto fold on, lock the car, then unlock it again and they unfolded. Going to take it to SC today. I'll report back what they say.