Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto frunk options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the pros and cons of auto frunk systems from hanssow vs ev offer vs teslarati? Any pitfalls or regrets? I have a 21 YLR

I’m in the Bay Area and it seems the go to installer is Larry

Thanks!

My only personal experiance is with the EV offer setup, mine was fairly easy to install and has worked without any problems, but I have read on here about people who were not able to get the frunk to open and then it started working again after a system re-set. I have read about installation problems with the Hansshow system (latch problems, bent hood), and I didn't know teslarati even made one.

Keith

Reactions: mangrove79
My only personal experiance is with the EV offer setup, mine was fairly easy to install and has worked without any problems, but I have read on here about people who were not able to get the frunk to open and then it started working again after a system re-set. I have read about installation problems with the Hansshow system (latch problems, bent hood), and I didn't know teslarati even made one.

Keith
How long have you had yours for? Just wondering if you’ve encountered any issues over a long period of time?

I installed the one from EV Offer about 9 months ago. Installation was time consuming but not difficult. Hardest part is getting to the bottom mount point on the struts. My left forearm just barely fits through the access point on the driver side and was fairly beat up after I was done.

It worked pretty well up until recently. There were a few random times when it would pop open but not automatically raise itself up …… but I could just push it up by hand. No sweat. And there were a few times when it didn’t respond to the “close” command …… but did when tried the second time.

However …… about 3 weeks ago, the latch popped and the hood only partially released. I couldn’t figure out how to get it open. It would re-latch when pushed back down, but again would only partially release when actuated. I pulled and pulled on the emergency release cable with no results. That really ticked me off.

Finally took it to the Service Center and got some real friendly folks there. They were ready to just put in a new Tesla latch system for free. But then the Tech came out and told me they weren’t permitted to work on aftermarket items, which didn’t really surprise me, but that he would try and get it open for me. He eventually did, mostly by fiddling with it and driving it a little when partially open for a while …….. until it spontaneously popped open. Neither of us could really figure out why it decided to open.

It proceeded to work fine since then.

BUT ….. now I’ve lost my confidence in it because:
  1. It might happen again
  2. The emergency release does not work
  3. I might not get lucky with a nice Service Center Tech again
  4. It might malfunction in a more severe way (for example, the Tech told me about a “regular customer” of his who had to have his Tesla wiring harness replaced three times due to shorts from the frunk kit)

So …….. I pulled it out a couple days ago. My left forearm and hand are just about recovered. It is WAY harder to remove the motorized struts than it was to remove the OEM ones. The motorized ones that come with the kit have VERY strong clips.

Although the auto-frunk was cool …….. it is really not much trouble to lift the hood open …… and I’ve learned how to close it properly.

Yeah ….. it was cool to be able to just hit the button and open/close it ……. And I’m a little disappointed ……….. But I’m not really gonna miss it much.

I have had my EV offer unit for well over a year. Was actually the first batch of their latest and greatest Mark 4.0 unit. A bunch of issues arose but they were quick to send upgraded replacement parts of this work in progress. Over time, everything was replaced with exception to the struts. They now have a rock solid unit, never an issue. Has been at least 9 months without errors or failures.

Reactions: FogNoggin
We've installed a bunch of the Hansshow units, I have the same kit on my MYP.

I can't really speak about the others since the Hansshow kits work as advertised - we haven't had a reason to switch brands. The hoods are essentially the strength of aluminum foil, so it's good not having to touch them to open/close.

We keep the kits in stock if you're generally in the SoCal area anytime soon.

I have the Dr. Tesla power frunk from Fremont and it's flawless. Highly highly recommend, especially since you're local. It took less than an hour (or, basically the time it took for me to eat my Hawaiian BBQ meal from the place near there, very yummy). Zero problems and I use it all the time, it makes the frunk completely useful.

I have the EV Offer auto frunk opener for about a year now. Larry installed it for me at his place on Feb 2nd, 2021. He is a pro, totally worth it, and I highly recommend it. He was done in less than an hour. He also adjusted my frunk for me to make sure they're leveled.

I use the frunk opener everyday, at least three to four times to store my work equipment. The only issue I have is that the emergency light button only works occasionally to close the frunk, sometimes it won't respond and I have to use the app to close it. I even bought a refurbished emergency light button from eBay to see if it'll solve the issue but it's the same. It started in July last year after a software update. Not sure if it's a coincidence or they're related. Reached out to Tesla Offer and they said some of the older emergency lights were known to fail due to the design. But after a week or two, the button started working again intermittently.

There were two times that the frunk would open partially and not go up due to cold weather and after I open it up manually, it's been fine.

I always make sure the latch clicks twice when it closes before I start driving.

Other than the emergency button issue, so far so good. Seen some horror stories about Hansshow frunks so seems like EV Offer is a better choice imo.

I have been pretty scared by the amount of issues I have read about with Hannshow's powered frunk. While I have heard of some issues, definitely not as many with EV Offer (also don't know market shares of each company). What I was wondering is if anyone knows of a frunk strut replacement similar to the ones that people have put on Model 3s, for the Model Y? I don't need auto close, but would love to have it pop open. I can close it myself...(thus not having to worry about a failed motor). @tom @ eas have you seen or heard of anything?

Like this: