Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto frunk options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been pretty scared by the amount of issues I have read about with Hannshow's powered frunk. While I have heard of some issues, definitely not as many with EV Offer (also don't know market shares of each company). What I was wondering is if anyone knows of a frunk strut replacement similar to the ones that people have put on Model 3s, for the Model Y? I don't need auto close, but would love to have it pop open. I can close it myself...(thus not having to worry about a failed motor). @tom @ eas have you seen or heard of anything?

Like this:
Not aware of any kits without the motorized struts. Will tell you, it's very convenient not having to touch the frunk at all.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Agreed. The convenience factor seems great but I am also worried about failure rates. I’ve decided to not go with it in the end. I hate that the front dents so easily so I don’t really even use it
This is why I really would like to find something similar to the Model 3 where it pops it open. I still use the frunk pretty often and I still close it the way I have since 2015...one hand below the logo...hasn't failed me yet. Just wish I could actually "pop" the hood.

I've just returned my hansshow V5 frunk kit. I've read so many negative comments regarding the problems with it but I was still willing to give it a try - that is - until I read the instructions that came with the unit and compared them with the parts provided and the responses from hansshow tech support. My instructions told me to install the struts wire down while the online instructions for the same version said to install struts wire up. As well, online instructions said to replace a bolt to the struts didn't bind while my instructions said nothing about this bolt, but it was provided in the kit. That was enough for me to shake my confidence in the kit - I don't need a bent hood etc.

Reactions: likkuid
We've installed a bunch of the Hansshow units, I have the same kit on my MYP.

I can't really speak about the others since the Hansshow kits work as advertised - we haven't had a reason to switch brands. The hoods are essentially the strength of aluminum foil, so it's good not having to touch them to open/close.

We keep the kits in stock if you're generally in the SoCal area anytime soon.
Looking for kit/install for auto drunk 2022m3LR. I live in OC so would be awesome if u could shoot me a quote

Do any of the kits integrate with the stock screen and app? I wouldn't want a separate app or key fob.
The kits aren't anything special, they just sense the signal the car sends to open the frunk and act on it. If it's closed it opens it, if it's open it closes it.

5 ways to open, 4 ways to close

Open:
Touchscreen
Fob
App
Voice command
Button inside frunk (if you're stuck inside)

Close:
Touchscreen
Fob
App
Button inside frunk

The kits aren't anything special, they just sense the signal the car sends to open the frunk and act on it. If it's closed it opens it, if it's open it closes it.

5 ways to open, 4 ways to close

Open:
Touchscreen
Fob
App
Voice command
Button inside frunk (if you're stuck inside)

Close:
Touchscreen
Fob
App
Button inside frunk
So to answer my question, they integrate into the stock screen but have their own standalone app.

EV Offer auto frunk here as well. It's been working great since I installed it myself a month ago. Still not enough time to tell the quality yet, but it's so much easier to use than the manual way.

The only issue I had is where and how to secure the two physical units under the hood - the control unit which is plastic and fairly light, and the latch motor unit that's all metal and heavy. The EVOffer youtube video basically just says use the longer cable ties to secure them to other physical parts of the Tesla, but it's not clear how. The control unit is light and can be somewhat tied to the adjacent hardware securely, but the latch motor is heavy and there is no flat surface on any side that can easily sit flush against anything. The video (23:44) doesn't show the "securing" part at all, just point to it and voila! If anyone has a good tutorial video that includes good instruction on securing the latch motor, that would be great!

EV offer is the way to go. Have had mine for over a year in the Y without any issue. Then control box is easily attached with heavy duty velcro. Just make sure the surfaces are properly cleaned before applying the velcro. I love this stuff, actually snaps in place.
I actually thought about using it since that's how I attach my Sunpass transponder to my windshield, but was worried about the extreme heat under the hood in the summer month here in SW Florida. The frunk can get pretty hot underneath the cargo space, so anything that has glue or sticky could potentially melt. Maybe the velcro pad can withstand that kind of heat? I see you're in Canada, much cooler in summer. ;)

EV Offer auto frunk here as well. It's been working great since I installed it myself a month ago. Still not enough time to tell the quality yet, but it's so much easier to use than the manual way.

The only issue I had is where and how to secure the two physical units under the hood - the control unit which is plastic and fairly light, and the latch motor unit that's all metal and heavy. The EVOffer youtube video basically just says use the longer cable ties to secure them to other physical parts of the Tesla, but it's not clear how. The control unit is light and can be somewhat tied to the adjacent hardware securely, but the latch motor is heavy and there is no flat surface on any side that can easily sit flush against anything. The video (23:44) doesn't show the "securing" part at all, just point to it and voila! If anyone has a good tutorial video that includes good instruction on securing the latch motor, that would be great!
I watched the video and thought the same thing about the "securing" of the latch motor. I took several zip ties and secured it to some metal beam and crossed my fingers.

• Helpful
Reactions: mangrove79