Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto frunk options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched the video and thought the same thing about the "securing" of the latch motor. I took several zip ties and secured it to some metal beam and crossed my fingers.
Same here, crossed my fingers and prayed, LOL. But I didn't secure it at the same general location in the video, I improvised. it's right underneath the hood. There is a small "well" under the driver-side wing of the frunk tub. It's at the top so it's totally accessible. I used two zip ties to tie it to a metal beam. It's probably not totally secure, but it's definitely not going anywhere.

Reactions: 101dals
I ordered the Hannshow's powered frunk and my very reputable car stereo store install it while they were installing 20% ceramic tint to my front windows. Installation went well and it works 100% as it is supposed to. I am very pleased with the Hannshow's Unit on my 2022 MYP. It is a shame that Tesla does not make this a factory installed item. It will cut down on fingerprints, scratches and possible hood damaged or dented. No one else treats our cars like we do the last thing I want is someone slamming my Frunk or pushing down on the center and caving it in. This Power Frunk is the $hit!

Reactions: Lucas007
What are the pros and cons of auto frunk systems from hanssow vs ev offer vs teslarati? Any pitfalls or regrets? I have a 21 YLR

I’m in the Bay Area and it seems the go to installer is Larry

Thanks!
I got installed from Yahasun - Fremont, CA and it's been 10 months, no issues, and more ever I got the best rate.

You have PM.

I don't think any frunk kit on the market uses a separate FOB. All control is via the mobile phone app or touchscreen (also frunk button)
Hi Tom,
does your business stand behind the hanshow product if we get it installed by you? It seems that the main concern is the lack of customer service from Hanshow. If the product breaks/malfunctions, will I be able to take it to you for repair under warranty?

Hi Tom,
does your business stand behind the hanshow product if we get it installed by you? It seems that the main concern is the lack of customer service from Hanshow. If the product breaks/malfunctions, will I be able to take it to you for repair under warranty?
If there is an issue with the kit, contact us beforehand so we can inspect and see if it's something related to install or the components first. If warranty service is needed, we'll help as much as possible. Customer service 101.

tom, can you PM for a quote as well. Model Y LR 2021.

PM incoming.

Reactions: akidesir
Check out Shop Tesla Upgrades: Power Frunk, Swivel Screen, Foot Sensors, Charging Adapter, and more...

They will do the installation for you. Seems they use Dr. Tesla's auto frunk system. They also have an option for a foot opener... swipe your foot below your front bumper, and your frunk pops open.

Very responsive!
Although the foot operation does sound really convenient, I hope they have taken every precaution to prevent activation as it would spell big trouble if it activated while under way. Movement under the bumper which activates the frunk just sounds impossible to cover all unwanted situations. Really in another league when compared to a trunk. Right up there with suicide doors if you ask me.

Price is pretty decent but website says Fremont, are you sure they service OC?
I have spoken to them, and they are planning to come down to So. Cal next month, and do installations at a Superstation.

I'm not sure what specific area they plan to do the installations at, but it will be in the greater Los Angeles area. Installations take approx. 90 minutes.

Reactions: Freshness
Just installed the EV Offer Mark 5 on a Ryzen Chip MY. Followed their YouTube video on the mark 4.0, straight forward step by step. Slight difference in the latching plate. I also had to max out the cable length for the latch hook. They even provide you with a power nut for the Ryzen positive tap.

I also purchased the kit on sale during the Easter sale, but I also received free shipping some how haha.

Same here, crossed my fingers and prayed, LOL. But I didn't secure it at the same general location in the video, I improvised. it's right underneath the hood. There is a small "well" under the driver-side wing of the frunk tub. It's at the top so it's totally accessible. I used two zip ties to tie it to a metal beam. It's probably not totally secure, but it's definitely not going anywhere.
Well, I just jinxed myself. The motor to my frunk latch died. I reached out to Raymond and we went through some troubleshooting. He's super responsive and sending me a new motor. Not looking forward to disassembling this car again though......

Any recommended installers in New york/New Jersey areas?
You can contact Raymond for the EV Offer frunk installers. I believe there was only one guy on LI that did them that Raymond had on his preferred list when I asked a year ago. I think I deleted the name, but it was a little bit of a hassle. You had to leave the car with them for some reason (at least that what what they told me on the phone).

I really do want to get the auto frunk for both my Tesla’s.

But I’d want to know if there is a completely manual way to open and close the frunk.

Years ago before all these auto frunk options came out I was on a road trip with my Model 3. I opened the frunk to take something out. However when I closed the frunk it would not latch. Upon further inspection the secondary latch would latch the hood but the main latch wouldn’t latch the hood. So it was propped open. I didn’t feel safe driving it home 300 miles with the frunk still open an inch. I didn’t want to risk having it bend due from air resistance or fly up into the windshield. Oh and it was a Sunday and I had work the next day. I called tesla service and they wanted me to bring it to a tesla service center where I was on Monday. I told them that was not an option because I had to be back at work. I told them the secondary latch worked but the main one wasn’t latching the frunk fully closed. I told them if I pull the spring out for the main latch then it’ll close but I won’t be able to open it. Well tesla customer service gave me the go ahead and said the service will still be able to open it. Well I made it home and several weeks later at my appointment tesla service was not able to open my frunk. They said the only way to open it was to cut the front bumper off. Luckily they recorded everything from the original conversation and paid for the new bumper and PPF. And they said never to pull that spring again incase it happens.

So since then I never use the frunk unless I really need the space.

So I want to know if these auto frunks have a completely manual release and latching mechanism. Not something electronic where I have to push the interior button. But a fully manual cable just incase.

I know old Porsche 911 owners modded their frunks with a hidden cable to the main latch to latch and unlatch incase it stops working normally. This can also be done on the tesla frunks.

Reactions: mangrove79
Mostly it will come down to the install from my opinion. I have installed auto locks/windows with cheap parts and from my experience it is mostly the install(90%) that fail. Even OEM parts fail from time to time in my opinion. Alignment of the latch is probably the most important part of the install, as long as it activates without any pressure I think the auto frunk from any maker will last. I have been in the car industry for a while and even installed shaved door handle with actuators and with manual pull cable for emergency and only time I use the pull cable is when my battery dies. My hansshow kit will be here tomorrow for my wife’s 2022 MYLR and excited to install it.

Reactions: mangrove79
Yahasun Auto Frunk installed the auto frunk in my car.

You can see in the photo below, they install a cable behind the small disk in the front bumper which you can easily pull out and push back in, which can be used to manually open the frunk in case of battery failure, or some other problem! (not the cables shown, those are wires used to connect a battery in case your small battery fails, and your doors won't open. They install another cable, not shown, which, when pulled, will release frunk latch)

Simply pop the disk out, find the cable and pull on it, frunk will release and open.

I happened to take a photo as he was working on my car.

As a side note... the wires shown in the photo, which are supposed to be behind this disk, were NOT there!

He needed to use a special, curved tool with a hook on the end, and fish the wires used to connect a temporary battery to your car in case of emergency, from somewhere in front of the drivers side wheel! He was nice enough to spend about 20-25 minutes fishing around and trying to find these wires, which he eventually found. I would have been up a creek if down the road, my battery failed and when I popped that removable disk out, expecting to find those wires, they weren't there!

20220509_091143.jpg

Last edited: