Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if there is a "proximity aware" 12v to connect this to? Meaning that it is only supplied with 12v if the phone of FOB is in proximity. I don't like connecting things directly to the 12v supply.
The 12v connection is "fused" so if the circuit is overloaded at anytime, it will blow the fuse to protect the frunk opener module as well as the rest of the 12v system in the car.

Upvote 0
The 12v connection is "fused" so if the circuit is overloaded at anytime, it will blow the fuse to protect the frunk opener module as well as the rest of the 12v system in the car.
They might be worried about drain on the battery. I'm not aware of any 12v setup like that. I believe the main ECM goes to sleep after a short while and before the main battery disconnects.

Upvote 0
They might be worried about drain on the battery. I'm not aware of any 12v setup like that. I believe the main ECM goes to sleep after a short while and before the main battery disconnects.
I have had the opener operate perfectly without any main battery issues for more than a year now. When the car goes to sleep, it cuts power to the opener module as well. You will hear a "beep" from the opener module whenever the car wakes up letting you know that it's operational.

Upvote 0
I have had the opener operate perfectly without any main battery issues for more than a year now. When the car goes to sleep, it cuts power to the opener module as well. You will hear a "beep" from the opener module whenever the car wakes up letting you know that it's operational.
The battery drain is what I dont like. If its connected to the battery directly there will be a constant draw, whether a little or a lot. There is no getting away from that.
I know there is always a draw of some sort anyway, I just dont like adding to it

Upvote 0
Auto frunk installation compete and it works great! I had two of the cheap ass stock clips break off on me when re-assembling the front end (frunk lining and cowl cover). One of the clips for the frunk itself on the passenger side rear, and one for the cowl cover on the drivers side just snapped off with minimal pressure from my hand (not trying to pound them together with a hammer)... I didn't do a close examination, can these clips be easily replaced? Is there a source for them?

Later,

Keith

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Upvote 0
Also when your 12v battery dies, Tesla will void warranty on the battery as soon as they see anything direct connected to the 12v.
And when the car explodes my insurance won't cover it, and my dog will bite me, and my cat will scratch me and my wife will call me names...

Keith

Upvote 0
Auto frunk installation compete and it works great! I had two of the cheap ass stock clips break off on me when re-assembling the front end (frunk lining and cowl cover). One of the clips for the frunk itself on the passenger side rear, and one for the cowl cover on the drivers side just snapped off with minimal pressure from my hand (not trying to pound them together with a hammer)... I didn't do a close examination, can these clips be easily replaced? Is there a source for them?

Later,

Keith
I friggin' hate those clips. I must have broken a half dozen of them in two separate instances. The clips are so poorly designed that it's laughable. LOL. No worries though, they're readily available at your nearest SC for $1.10 a piece and are easy to replace.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
Upvote 0
I actually had the clip holder break on the cowl portion (not the frunk liner). Super glue didn't fix it so now I'm giving JB Weld a try.

My battery is the original (2018), so I'm not worried about the warranty being voided on it. It's pretty much EoL at this point. Side track, anybody here replace their battery with a Lithium ion type?

Upvote 0
I am interested if there are any codes left.

JP
Here's what looks like a better deal at 21% discount. Lucky you.

Screenshot_20211125-052949_Samsung Internet.jpg

Upvote 0
Here's what looks like a better deal at 21% discount. Lucky you.

View attachment 737213
Holy F that’s a good price compared to what I bought it for. I’ve had it 4 months. No issues. Super grateful for it. The hood doesn’t sit perfectly aligned on the edges but I forgot about that months ago and now don’t care. Hardly noticeable unless you know to look for it.

Upvote 0
Does anyone provide the 'Soft Close' feature ONLY?!

I don't need to have the trunk open by itself, would love for it to cinch itself shut after i lower the hood..
I agree. Auto-frunk is very nice and probably should of come installed like the Rivian does but ultimately I just want to avoid keep pushing on the very thin hood if it can be avoided.

Upvote 0