TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Auto Headlight ON/OFF High Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by M.V.P., Sep 27, 2017.

1. M.V.P.

M.V.P. Member

Vin#...50344 - Software Version# 2017.34.2448cfc
    ISSUE: Auto headlights will come on with even the slightest amount of intermittent shade on very sunny days or when the sun is lower in the sky later in the afternoon.

Has anyone else experienced this issue of the headlight sensor being overly sensitive in their Model X?

I asked my local Service Center (Mt Kisco, NY) if they could turn down the sensitivity a bit but they said it was all software version-controlled and not a parameter they could access directly themselves. They also said that others have complained about this and were hoping for a future software updated to correct.

NOTE: My previous car was a Model S, which I traded up for the X, and I felt that the Model S' auto headlights were calibrated correctly so I did not experience this issue.

2. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Interesting. I've got a ticket in right now because my headlights, when set to auto, will not turn off AT ALL. I can manually turn them off with the setting, but if set to auto, they're always on. Tesla is investigating right now.... I suspect we have a similar issue.

3. M.V.P.

M.V.P. Member

I'd venture a guess that Tesla's light sensor supplier has a manufacturing problem and a small percentage of their units are defective. So even though all vehicles are software calibrated to the same sensitivity rates these units are causing headlights to come on prematurely or stay on all the time.

4. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

That's my guess. Oddly enough, not sure if the screens have their own different sensor, but during the day my screen is in day mode and at night it goes into night mode. They work just fine. It's just the lights that think it's night time all the time.

5. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Your AP1 model S had a dedicated light sensor. AP2 cars use the AP cameras to determine if the lights should be on. As you have noticed, it’s currently quite flawed. The good news is Tesla can improve it with OTA updates. I’m sure they will, but their focus has been on model 3.