TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto headlight sensitivitiy at startup

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ruffles, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

Hi Everyone,

Out of curiosity, do your auto headlights turn on when you first start the car in bright daylight and stay on for a couple of min before finally turning off? Mine do. It's not really a problem but it seems funny that it takes them so long to realize it's noon and I don't need them on :rolleyes:.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, I see that too. But not just at startup. Often, I'll look down and see them on mid-day with nary a cloud in the sky. I usually just manually turn them off (they go into DRL mode here in Canada). I also notice they come on very quickly.... even when going through an underpass that only lasts a second or two. Was the same on my 2013 Model S and 2018 Model X as well as many loaner cars I've had over the years, so I think it is just the way they are programmed.

3. xiaoxiao

xiaoxiao New Member

Well, I found the same problem with you the other day. I thought it was my novsight headlight that was out of order, so is this a normal phenomenon?

4. VikH

VikH Member

Yes, I have noticed them on startup and sunny, but they turn off after a bit of driving.

5. jlarmstr

jlarmstr Member

The auto headlight sensitivity is an annoy peeve of mine.... It will be bright daylight out and an I will pass through a neighborhood street with maybe a quarter mile of trees lining each side with overhand that shades the street... still totally visible, not dark at all, perfectly fine and the lights pop on.... then after I get back into sunlight after 2-3 mins they pop off. I am sure people see my car a laugh at the headlights popping on and off.... my old Lexus auto headlight behavior was perfect. I wish the Tesla behaved the same way.