Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlight sensitivitiy at startup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Out of curiosity, do your auto headlights turn on when you first start the car in bright daylight and stay on for a couple of min before finally turning off? Mine do. It's not really a problem but it seems funny that it takes them so long to realize it's noon and I don't need them on :rolleyes:.

Yes, I see that too. But not just at startup. Often, I'll look down and see them on mid-day with nary a cloud in the sky. I usually just manually turn them off (they go into DRL mode here in Canada). I also notice they come on very quickly.... even when going through an underpass that only lasts a second or two. Was the same on my 2013 Model S and 2018 Model X as well as many loaner cars I've had over the years, so I think it is just the way they are programmed.

The auto headlight sensitivity is an annoy peeve of mine.... It will be bright daylight out and an I will pass through a neighborhood street with maybe a quarter mile of trees lining each side with overhand that shades the street... still totally visible, not dark at all, perfectly fine and the lights pop on.... then after I get back into sunlight after 2-3 mins they pop off. I am sure people see my car a laugh at the headlights popping on and off.... my old Lexus auto headlight behavior was perfect. I wish the Tesla behaved the same way.