TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto headlights stopped working

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by andrewket, Jun 22, 2013.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The auto setting on my headlights is suddenly not working. It always turns the lights on. It's almost as if the sensor is disconnected.

I've tried rebooting the center console and the dash, turning the car off, etc.

I searched a bit and couldn't find anyone else with this issue. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced this issue and the fix.

Thanks!

2. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Mine as well. Started 3 days ago after I washed the car. Also tried reboots without luck. I'm still on 4.4. I'm going to call service on Monday and hopefully get a remote fix.

3. pete2212

pete2212 New Member

Oddly, mine have been doing the opposite at random times. I'll turn the car off and walk away, and the lights won't turn off. Locking it with the key doesn't help. Went so far as to turn the auto sensing feature off, the front lights turned off but rear stayed on.

Happened twice so far, but both were brief stops and the issue was corrected when I thought to check again. Not sure if it's related.

4. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

Schedule an appointment for Tesla Service to look at it. I brought mine in about a month ago to fix the same issue (and auto display brightness not working). Turned out to be a faulty sensor for me.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

5. andrewket

Well that's interesting. Mine started after washing my car as well.

6. tomanik

tomanik Member

I sent an email to tesla service about this same issue a few days ago. Have not heard back and was going to call service on Monday.

7. andrewket

My headlights continue to remain on all the time when set to auto. Now the displays are switching periodically to night mode.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No question, you have a sensor issue not a software issue. It's a quick fix to replace the sensor.

9. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Interesting. I had similar issue recently. It also started several days after washing my car --- it was the first time I had washed the car. Yesterday the headlights would not come on in auto even in my dark garage --- where they usually turn on. I'm going to wait a few days and see if this behavior continues. No problems with the day/night displays though.

10. andrewket

I made an appointment to take my car in.

11. Schlermie

Schlermie P4932 - Delivery: 12/22

It could be a dirty film over the sensor. For those who just washed their cars, perhaps soap residue started collecting dirt? I'm not sure where the sensor is located.

12. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I doubt it. There is a sensor in the upper middle of the wind screen and another on the back of the rear view mirror. I'm not sure which does what. Neither looked dirty, but I wiped both down anyway without any luck. I emailed service today. I also noticed that the center screen didn't auto switch to night mode last night. I think it was the first time I've driven in the dark since this started.

13. andrewket

I upgraded to 4.5 (.54) last night and it fixed my headlights. So one of these statements must be true:

1/ 4.5 included a bug fix
    2/ The upgrade process reset the computer systems in a way that I was unable to do via other "reboot" methods.
    3/ It was a coincidence, and whatever was affecting the sensor (moisture, etc.) cleared out at the same time.

When I left this morning the headlights were on auto (it always reverts to auto). In my garage the lights typically come on. When I pulled out the lights went off like they used to. So, my guess is that washing the car WAS related, but not in the way we would assume (moisture getting into the sensor somehow), but rather being around the car with the key for a prolonged period of time, opening/closing doors but never turning the car on, etc., is actually the culprit. It's an odd "bug", no doubt.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The light sensor is in the back of the rear view mirror, it can't be directly affected by washing the car. (The windscreen sensor is for rain/wipers).

My car had the exact same symptoms several weeks back, lights on in daylight, screen not recognizing night/day properly. Tesla checked and it was a faulty sensor, they replaced it and we've been perfect ever since.

15. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

My auto headlight issue was resolved today at a Ranger visit. Upgraded me to 4.5, sensor did not need to be replaced.

16. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

My auto headlight works but it has to either too dark or too bright outside. when it is cloudy/twilight when other cars have lights On, my tesla's light never turns on. Is there a manual headlight on switch?

17. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

I am assuming that the headlight iOS turned on/off/auto through the computer terminal. It is a little inconvenient to do so while driving. It would be good to have a switch to turn the headlight on/off manually. I often see no light coming ON during twilight or when all the other cars (except mine!) have the lights turned ON due to lower visibility.

18. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Yes...it is in the Controls window on the main screen.

19. aaronw

aaronw Member

I had that problem as well right after a software update. I forget which one but they replaced the sensor and everything started working again.