Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
The auto setting on my headlights is suddenly not working. It always turns the lights on. It's almost as if the sensor is disconnected.

I've tried rebooting the center console and the dash, turning the car off, etc.

I searched a bit and couldn't find anyone else with this issue. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced this issue and the fix.

Thanks!

Oddly, mine have been doing the opposite at random times. I'll turn the car off and walk away, and the lights won't turn off. Locking it with the key doesn't help. Went so far as to turn the auto sensing feature off, the front lights turned off but rear stayed on.

Happened twice so far, but both were brief stops and the issue was corrected when I thought to check again. Not sure if it's related.

Schedule an appointment for Tesla Service to look at it. I brought mine in about a month ago to fix the same issue (and auto display brightness not working). Turned out to be a faulty sensor for me.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Interesting. I had similar issue recently. It also started several days after washing my car --- it was the first time I had washed the car. Yesterday the headlights would not come on in auto even in my dark garage --- where they usually turn on. I'm going to wait a few days and see if this behavior continues. No problems with the day/night displays though.

I doubt it. There is a sensor in the upper middle of the wind screen and another on the back of the rear view mirror. I'm not sure which does what. Neither looked dirty, but I wiped both down anyway without any luck. I emailed service today. I also noticed that the center screen didn't auto switch to night mode last night. I think it was the first time I've driven in the dark since this started.

I upgraded to 4.5 (.54) last night and it fixed my headlights. So one of these statements must be true:

1/ 4.5 included a bug fix
2/ The upgrade process reset the computer systems in a way that I was unable to do via other "reboot" methods.
3/ It was a coincidence, and whatever was affecting the sensor (moisture, etc.) cleared out at the same time.

When I left this morning the headlights were on auto (it always reverts to auto). In my garage the lights typically come on. When I pulled out the lights went off like they used to. So, my guess is that washing the car WAS related, but not in the way we would assume (moisture getting into the sensor somehow), but rather being around the car with the key for a prolonged period of time, opening/closing doors but never turning the car on, etc., is actually the culprit. It's an odd "bug", no doubt.

The light sensor is in the back of the rear view mirror, it can't be directly affected by washing the car. (The windscreen sensor is for rain/wipers).

My car had the exact same symptoms several weeks back, lights on in daylight, screen not recognizing night/day properly. Tesla checked and it was a faulty sensor, they replaced it and we've been perfect ever since.

I am assuming that the headlight iOS turned on/off/auto through the computer terminal. It is a little inconvenient to do so while driving. It would be good to have a switch to turn the headlight on/off manually. I often see no light coming ON during twilight or when all the other cars (except mine!) have the lights turned ON due to lower visibility.