TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto headlights turning on in bright daylight.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SJC3, Aug 19, 2018.

1. SJC3

SJC3 Member

anyone else have this issue? I just got the car back from service for this issue. they reproduced the issue and said the lights were “adjusted.” Worked fine for a day but now it’s doing it again. Looks like yet another visit to the shop. Sucks for a 1 week old car...on track to be in the shop longer than driving. This isn’t the only reoccurring problem as well.

2. sperkin

sperkin Member

I have this issue as well. Going under a bridge and the Auto headlight turns on the High beam even though I have auto high beam set to off. Does this about 25% of the time. Probably fixable via future software.

Edit- looks like my issue is different than yours. Mine is high beams in the day time.

3. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Even with auto high beam disabled?

4. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I don't like these automatic headlights, or that the headlights default to Auto every time I start the car. I want them to stay OFF unless I dictate differently.

5. SJC3

SJC3 Member

have had this on many past cars and they worked brilliantly...meaning you just forgot that headlights ever need to be turned on or off. Maybe I just got a bad sensor.

6. rdlink

rdlink Member

I've read your saga on the other thread. Honestly, you should go into the service center and demand they replace the sensor.

7. sperkin

sperkin Member

Yes, I have it disabled and I also re-check each time I see my high beams On. I even tried to push my stalks forward when the lights are Off to see if auto headlights will turn On later with the high beams (which it doesn't). I'm not sure what's causing it, but my high beams will turn On when the auto headlights comes On sometimes. Hoping the latest firmware fixed it. It hasn't actually happened again since 28.3 though.

8. SJC3

SJC3 Member

plan to. Just need to find more time to take away from work. Was hoping to get the 28.5 push and see first but the update isn’t available after showing on my app. Good thing is I have time stamps and video showing it not working. This seems to get the service guys moving.

9. rdlink

rdlink Member

Good luck. Sorry you've had such a subpar first couple of weeks of ownership. Hoping things smooth out soon, and you get to enjoy the giddy feeling of driving your Model 3.

10. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

Are we talking about auto high beams or auto headlights? They are very different.

11. SJC3

SJC3 Member

For me, auto headlights. No issue with auto high beams.

12. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

Mine
    My auto headlights turn on when there are shadows present during the day. There is obviously room for a software improvement with this feature, but I don’t think it’s hardware related.