Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights turning on in bright daylight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone else have this issue? I just got the car back from service for this issue. they reproduced the issue and said the lights were “adjusted.” Worked fine for a day but now it’s doing it again. Looks like yet another visit to the shop. Sucks for a 1 week old car...on track to be in the shop longer than driving. This isn’t the only reoccurring problem as well.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have this issue as well. Going under a bridge and the Auto headlight turns on the High beam even though I have auto high beam set to off. Does this about 25% of the time. Probably fixable via future software.

Edit- looks like my issue is different than yours. Mine is high beams in the day time.

I have this issue as well. Going under a bridge and the Auto headlight turns on the High beam even though I have auto high beam set to off. Does this about 25% of the time. Probably fixable via future software.

Edit- looks like my issue is different than yours. Mine is high beams in the day time.

Even with auto high beam disabled?

I don't like these automatic headlights, or that the headlights default to Auto every time I start the car. I want them to stay OFF unless I dictate differently.
have had this on many past cars and they worked brilliantly...meaning you just forgot that headlights ever need to be turned on or off. Maybe I just got a bad sensor.

Even with auto high beam disabled?

Yes, I have it disabled and I also re-check each time I see my high beams On. I even tried to push my stalks forward when the lights are Off to see if auto headlights will turn On later with the high beams (which it doesn't). I'm not sure what's causing it, but my high beams will turn On when the auto headlights comes On sometimes. Hoping the latest firmware fixed it. It hasn't actually happened again since 28.3 though.

I've read your saga on the other thread. Honestly, you should go into the service center and demand they replace the sensor.
plan to. Just need to find more time to take away from work. Was hoping to get the 28.5 push and see first but the update isn’t available after showing on my app. Good thing is I have time stamps and video showing it not working. This seems to get the service guys moving.

plan to. Just need to find more time to take away from work. Was hoping to get the 28.5 push and see first but the update isn’t available after showing on my app. Good thing is I have time stamps and video showing it not working. This seems to get the service guys moving.

Good luck. Sorry you've had such a subpar first couple of weeks of ownership. Hoping things smooth out soon, and you get to enjoy the giddy feeling of driving your Model 3.

I noticed today for the first time my headlights were on even though it’s a bright sunny day. I check my settings and it’s still on auto. I did a soft reset on steering wheel and it’s still staying on in auto. So for now I’m just turning off my headlights. Any suggestions?

I had a similar issue two weeks after delivery. I had 12.1.2 and read from multiple threads that it was buggy. It happened twice to me and both times my car wouldn't show lanes or other vehicles around me either.. It went away or the sensors started working normally again after charging overnight. Now I have 16.3.1 so I'm hoping this new update addresses the bugs from the 12.1.2.

Reviving this thread. I have experienced this issue a few times now. It'll be a super bright sunny day and I'll get in my car and start driving and notice my headlights are on. If I toggle them quickly to off then back to auto, they come back on. However if I turn them off for at least a minute or so then turn them back to auto, they stay off.
I'd like to know what is causing them to come on initially when the car is sitting in the sunlight. Some have mentioned a bad photo sensor. I've only noticed it on my current software version, 2019.40.50.7.

Anyone else experiencing this lately?

I'm still on 2020.40.8 and I occasionally see the headlights on during bright daytime. As mentioned earlier, the car starts up with them already on. My car is parked in my driveway pointed north with absolutely no shadows on my windshield. They do turn off by themselves after a minute or two so I've just ignored the issue.

Reactions: Big Earl