Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody on the Y forum said it was for some technical reason about different state laws. That's preposterous.
Even if that is the case, it should be MENTIONED IN THE RELEASE NOTES.

Pretty sure all states require lights to be used in rain, and if there is an exception, the car can decouple lights and wiper functions in the appropriate locations.

Reactions: mikebixby
Lest anyone doubt the seriousness of this issue, in this afternoon's incident, the onset of the torrential rain occurred within a few seconds. AP was on and doing a fair job in the deluge at 50 mph on a 4 lane divided road. As I went to turn on the lights on the screen ( there is no voice command ) the AP disconnected. I voice commanded the "Wipers higher" to make sure they were on max and it misinterpreted and turned them OFF. I was blind for about 10 seconds until I could bring up the card and turn them back on. Is this the type of automation behavior necessary for FSD? I think not. I filed a NHTSA report once I confirmed from Tesla the function had been removed.

It's the law in Pennsylvania.
Despite that, I see plenty of people without lights on in the rain. And at night. Haven’t seen anyone pulled over for the infraction here.

Pressing the turn signal stalk button should bring up the wipers card quickly. The wipers in the (pre-yoke) S had a dedicated knob on the turn signal stalk.

I have been driving in those “sudden wall of water” storms. I wouldn’t want to be 10 seconds into one before getting the wipers activated unless I had Rain-X on the windshield.

Let’s keep in perspective motor vehicle code vs. criminal code. You might be ticketed for a wiper-headlight violation, but they’re not going to drag you out of the car, cuff you, and cart you off to the hoosegow over it.
Depends what you've been doing in the past! ;)

Its also the law in MA that if your wipers are on, your lights should be on.

Even if that is the case, it should be MENTIONED IN THE RELEASE NOTES.

Pretty sure all states require lights to be used in rain, and if there is an exception, the car can decouple lights and wiper functions in the appropriate locations.
Not so. At least in Wisconsin. To the best of my knowledge, the only nearby state that requires this is Minnesota.

Let me go on the record supporting wipers on = headlights on but it is not universal. The driver can make that choice also you know.

No, but you can certainly get a ticket. I know someone who did. It's a safety issue, why would you NOT want them on?!
I didn’t say I wanted them off, but I also don’t bitch about my car not being able to perform functions that I can easily perform myself.

None of my cars have ever turned the lights on for me when I activated the wipers. I turn them on myself because I know the rules and like to be able to be seen by oncoming traffic (which is the main reason for it, not so YOU can see).

Automation is cool, but the more we let our vehicles control things, the more we start to forget how to do normal simple tasks.

But that’s just me. YMMV.

This is a car that Tesla represents as being FSD beta for tens or hundreds of thousands of owners including me in one more week and they have removed an important automation safety feature that was previously standard and almost every other car offers. This is inexplicable