Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure if the first menu layer counts as being hidden deep.
I maintain that having to use a menu for heated seats is an unnecessarily less safe way to find the button. It used to be completely visible which is no longer true (I still can't fathom the why of those decisions)

Heated seats is just one example which in our household is a priority, I realize maybe not to everyone but how flipping hard would it be to have some muscle-memory consistency for some basic functions

• Love
Reactions: smogne41
If they had made headlights, wipers, and heated seats icons that could be put on the bottom bar and allowed more icons than just four to be put on the bottom bar, that would have made V11 significantly better than it is.

But automatic headlights should come on with the wipers (or at least have that as a user-configurable setting), because that is required in many jurisdictions (and many want that anyway even if not required).

I maintain that having to use a menu for heated seats is an unnecessarily less safe way to find the button. It used to be completely visible which is no longer true (I still can't fathom the why of those decisions)

Heated seats is just one example which in our household is a priority, I realize maybe not to everyone but how flipping hard would it be to have some muscle-memory consistency for some basic functions
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the headlights.

If they had made headlights, wipers, and heated seats icons that could be put on the bottom bar and allowed more icons than just four to be put on the bottom bar, that would have made V11 significantly better than it is.

But automatic headlights should come on with the wipers (or at least have that as a user-configurable setting), because that is required in many jurisdictions (and many want that anyway even if not required).
That would have made V11 an actual upgrade, and not a frustrating dumpster fire. We can't go having that...

If the car had real quick-and-easy to reach physical controls I wouldn't care but I agree having to hit the talk to pop up a screen to then tap the screen to enable wipers (already don't like that) and then navigate to turn headlights on is just... automation is great when it works but making it so much more difficult when it doesn't need to be seems to support the case for cost saving (less buttons) plus some hubris (we can do it better than anyone anyway) at a potential cost of safety

I'll note again that our 'low tech' system on our 2017 Audi is more reliable for auto lights and auto wipers. Hmm
Press the button on the end of the left stalk and it will give you immediate access to wiper controls.

If the car had real quick-and-easy to reach physical controls I wouldn't care but I agree having to hit the talk to pop up a screen to then tap the screen to enable wipers (already don't like that) and then navigate to turn headlights on is just... automation is great when it works but making it so much more difficult when it doesn't need to be seems to support the case for cost saving (less buttons) plus some hubris (we can do it better than anyone anyway) at a potential cost of safety

I'll note again that our 'low tech' system on our 2017 Audi is more reliable for auto lights and auto wipers. Hmm
You can just press in the button on the left stalk and it brings up wiper controls

Agree totally. It's safer and should be SOP for drivers, even if there is no requirement in your jurisdiction.

Reactions: Big Earl
The whole point is this car was designed to be autonomous. The wipers are automatic and the headlights used to automatically come on with the wipers. Now they don't. It's a step backwards for no apparent reason.

The why we're forced to guess at.

My initial assumption was the functionality was broken. Mistakes happen so I figured once it was reported they would fix it. I reported it during a chat session.

Then I heard on here from other members that the user manual was changed so that would mean it was intentional.

The only intentional reason I can think of is the auto-wipers are sporadic. But, they could have simple done some auto-on for 15 min if the wipers wiped more than X times in 1 min or something like that.