TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto hi beam headlight problem

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Tinky, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Tinky

Tinky Member

Has anyone had any problems with their auto high beam Operation or a auto pilot 2 model S ?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Need more specificity. What problems?

3. Tinky

Tinky Member

When we first received the update it worked perfectly. Just recently it is in operative even though we have it turned on in the settings and we have both indicators on the dash lit up. The service center said that it was a calibration thing but why would it stop working when it was working previously?

4. BrettS

BrettS Member

Just saying that it’s inoperative still isn’t super helpful... exactly what is it doing? High beams on all the time? High beams never turning on?

5. theheff

theheff Member

The auto high beam code needs some refinement still. It wasn't consistent at all for me on a 4000 mile road trip a few weeks ago on 17.17.4. Sometimes it would never kick in, sometimes I blasted people with high beams, and it was overall too delayed. I suspect that it, along with auto-wipers, will get some updates soon since they are similar in function.

6. Tinky

Tinky Member

Our auto highbeam function does not move the headlights to high beam at all

7. animorph

animorph Member

I believe the function is auto-dimming. Enable it and then use the stalk to turn on high beams. They will dim (ideally) as needed. If you are already on low beams there is no effect.

• Informative x 1
  8. milleron

milleron Member

As anamorphic replied, it's actually automatic dimming. In all 3 cars I've had with auto high beams, there was nothing to do but set the headlights on "auto." When it got dark, the headlights would turn on, and when in motion and there were no oncoming lights seem, the high beams would automatically illuminate. EZPZ.
    On the Tesla, one must enable Auto High Beams. One must then manually switch on high beams by pushing the turn-signal lever forward. After that, high beams will illuminate, but they will automatically switch to low beams when oncoming lights are detected. Why Tesla had to do it backward from the rest of the industry can best be explained by the person who can also explain why rain-sensing wipers STILL don't work when almost all other makes of cars have had this optional feature for what seems like eons.

9. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I experienced the same issue with the Auto setting ... Both Hi/Low beam indicators lit up when driving in daylight hours.
    Had to turn of the auto setting ... hope the next software update will resolve this issue :cool:

• Funny x 1