Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Can someone please explain why Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers are such a dumpster fire on AP 2.0 Model S? In spite of the numerous software updates that have come along in the past year, with each update I hope that they will fix this annoying, useless feature but no, I feel it only gets worse.

I find my Auto High Beam obnoxious. I live in a rural area so a lot of single or two lane roads with dark stretches where AHB could be very handy. But every time I turn it on, I regret it and go into manual mode. The high beam will either take too long to dip if a car is approaching from the front or if I am trailing a car it would not even bother to lower the beam and then at other times AHB freaks out at road signs and yellow colored signs and starts going high and low frantically. It is absolute garbage and I am baffled as to why they cannot seem to refine this feature? They have made a decent headway with the usability and smoothness of AP 2.0 (still not perfect though) but AHB and Auto Wipers are borderline useless.

If you are AP2.0 Model S owners, I'd love to hear what has been your your experience with Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers. Please provide your thoughts and if you know that some improvement is coming on these two features in the near future.

Thank you for your time!

They're indeed trash. I turned off auto high beams after less than 5 minutes.

Auto-wipers I gave a bit more of a chance, but ultimately turned them back off because they're useless in the dark and still pretty neurotic. Supposedly there's an update coming "this month" that improves the wiper behavior, but I'm not optimistic.

Reactions: Tribaltech
Hey everyone,

Can someone please explain why Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers are such a dumpster fire on AP 2.0 Model S? In spite of the numerous software updates that have come along in the past year, with each update I hope that they will fix this annoying, useless feature but no, I feel it only gets worse.

I find my Auto High Beam obnoxious. I live in a rural area so a lot of single or two lane roads with dark stretches where AHB could be very handy. But every time I turn it on, I regret it and go into manual mode. The high beam will either take too long to dip if a car is approaching from the front or if I am trailing a car it would not even bother to lower the beam and then at other times AHB freaks out at road signs and yellow colored signs and starts going high and low frantically. It is absolute garbage and I am baffled as to why they cannot seem to refine this feature? They have made a decent headway with the usability and smoothness of AP 2.0 (still not perfect though) but AHB and Auto Wipers are borderline useless.

If you are AP2.0 Model S owners, I'd love to hear what has been your your experience with Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers. Please provide your thoughts and if you know that some improvement is coming on these two features in the near future.

Thank you for your time!

I own a 2017 AP2 90D and I think the auto High Beams work great in my area. I live in a surburban town and they come on as needed and turn off with approaching cars. I just find it very interesting that people have so very different experiences with them. I do agree though that the Auto wipers need work - the speed and frequency don’t seem to have any relation to how hard it is raining - hoping it gets fixed in the next update.

Reactions: drklain
They're indeed trash. I turned off auto high beams after less than 5 minutes.

Auto-wipers I gave a bit more of a chance, but ultimately turned them back off because they're useless in the dark and still pretty neurotic. Supposedly there's an update coming "this month" that improves the wiper behavior, but I'm not optimistic.

OK good to know, that its not just me. On rural (but clearly marked) state highways and roads AHB is useless. At a couple occasions I've had people from the opposite side honk at me because this horrid piece of garbage didn't lower the beam in time. I learnt my lesson and now use it sparingly only whenever a new update rolls around. Then I get disappointed and return to manual high beam.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I own a 2017 AP2 90D and I think the auto High Beams work great in my area. I live in a surburban town and they come on as needed and turn off with approaching cars.

I'm similar to OP, in a fairly rural area. They just don't work well on dark, rural roads. Seem to get confused easily between actual oncoming cars and reflections from signs, etc.

I own a 2017 AP2 90D and I think the auto High Beams work great in my area. I live in a surburban town and they come on as needed and turn off with approaching cars. I just find it very interesting that people have so very different experiences with them. I do agree though that the Auto wipers need work - the speed and frequency don’t seem to have any relation to how hard it is raining - hoping it gets fixed in the next update.

Thats interesting because your experience sounds very different from mine and another commenter's. Perhaps it might have to do with driving in less traffic dense areas? So as in my example when a car comes along from the opposite side the AHB feature takes it sweet friggin time to lower the lights. Another thing I dont understand is how the software is so dumb that it starts to freak out on seeing road signs? What do road signs at night have anything to do with auto high beam?

My concern is that right now Tesla's entire focus is Model 3 and appeasing the much less forgiving M3 customers that everything else is taking a backseat. I could be wrong but just a bit unhappy with constant glitches and issues and long time toward resolution.

OP, it's not just you. For such a futuristic advance in automotive technology, these two features do kinda suck.

I'm not a hater or a fanatic. I do wonder about the development on these. Someday I'm sure they'll improve.

I struggle with the auto wipers in Nor Cal. I can't imagine living in area that gets frequent torrential rain. Head scratcher for sure and while beta, also somewhat dangerous in the rain when the wipers don't wipe.

As far as auto high beam? I'm in a suburban area and they're usable. It does seem like the "computer" is always slightly behind on the decision making process.

The Auto Wipers are bad simply because they use the Camera way up high by the Rearview mirror which will see less road splash. It might be OK in heavier rain...
Notice on my Pic, the Lower half of the Windshield is rough, up higher by the Cameras jot so much
20181126_091842.jpg

• Informative
I don't want to remember the auto wipers on my 2008 Audi, it just makes me sad. How the hell can Tesla make a good car, when they fail at such a simple item, which worked flawlesly in 2008 already?

P.S. I set the wipers once when I got that Audi and never touched them for 9 years I had that car. They simply worked...

I'm pretty happy with my AHB. They work well switching high and low with on coming traffic and with following cars in front. The only time it seems to have a problem is on my 1/8 mile long driveway it gets confused by my own headlights reflecting of the trees and keeps the low beams on when I could really use the high beams. It would be nice if there was an easy way to over ride the low beams without just manually holding the lever with my left hand while steering with my right.

Got a loaner model X for a couple weeks and rented a model 3 last weekend and I immediately noticed how horrible the auto wipers were. In the 3 it's especially frustrating since you have to use the screen to change the speed on manual. Amazes me that AP2 owners have putting up with such a crappy implementation for so long.

Didn't use auto high beam on either.