Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beam behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine too. Unless you switch to low beam with the stalk, in which case it stays on low beam (as it should).
My point was that it works properly.

I certainly agree that they work properly.

I must apologize as I was confused by your original statement " if you are on low beams they will never auto change to high beams no matter the setting." The "no matter the setting" seemed to imply the car will never switch from low to high on either the "low beams only" or the "auto" setting.

I'm not sure if the software has been updated for the Auto High Beam but I'm loving this feature here in rural areas.

We didn't expect the Model Y to have this considering it didn't have adaptive lights etc.

I'm finding it works much better now, too. It still seems to disable occasionally without me having touched the left stalk. I also wish it worked better on the highway.

Anyone else notice the high beams are super sensitive? I had to turn off auto high beam (pull left stalk back instead of forward, did not touch anything in the menu) because it seems like I am a moving strobe light while driving- even at the slightest change in lighting on a street where the low beams work just fine.

Reactions: Gadget63
No. As above, I'll sometimes turn it off but that is local traffic and it seems to be acting the same as I would if I were trying to keep the highs on all the time. Without oncoming traffic, it doesn't flip due to street lights or anything.

Not to dredge up this old thread, but, my June 2021 build MY on software version 2021.4.21.3 still has this almost-daily issue of having auto high beams disabled even though I didn’t do so by touching the stalk. I then have to re-enable them almost every time I drive at night.

I just read how some believe it’s due to sentry mode and if it’s enabled and records an event, it disables auto high beams for the next time you drive. I’m going to pay closer attention to my sentry mode events to confirm this.

My 2020 Chevy Equinox has a little button for auto high beams that you press once ever and it stays enabled, accurately working at each night drive.

Reactions: HeyEph
FWIW, in my experience, the auto hi beams work exactly as intended other than the fact that the setting does seem to clear for some reason. When I start the car and the setting is still enabled, the car uses low beams, when the situation exists that high beams are appropriate, the switch on. When a car is on coming, they switch off.

Reactions: suprax
I'll have to try it but I thought my setting stuck. Most of my night driving is local and I didn't like the excessive high/low switching. I'll have to give it a try. Maybe tonight. and @Nyc_rock is correct that they are actually auto low. Unless you put on high beams, which you can see even when low by the gray headlamp icon, they'll never go high but when on high they will go low.

FWIW, in my experience, the auto hi beams work exactly as intended other than the fact that the setting does seem to clear for some reason. When I start the car and the setting is still enabled, the car uses low beams, when the situation exists that high beams are appropriate, the switch on. When a car is on coming, they switch off.
Yeah that's what's happening to me. I like the functionality of the Auto High Beams, however 9 times out of 10 it disables itself and I have to enable it by pulling the stalk. Then it's fine for the rest of the drive or the day, but by the next day it disables itself again. Or it can show itself as enabled all day, then by night time it's disabled.

My issue is I accidentally turn off auto high beams if I use the left stalk for my blinkers. Anyone else have this issue or know how to prevent it? I just reengage by pushing left stalk forward but it’s annoying.
Since I've been trying to determine the issue of Auto High Beams enabling/disabling randomly, I've been very mindful of this and have not found this to be the case at least for me. In fact I've been monitoring when the icon appears and disappears and sometimes it will happen when I haven't touched the turn signal stalk at all.

it is possible that that may be the behavior in Canada, but in the US, my M3 and MY switch between high and low beams as required. In residential neighborhoods with curving roads, they sometimes mistake a porch light for an oncoming car, but otherwise work well.
Ditto mine. It seems like, after the last update I received, that even when I have them enabled, I have to 'start' them by putting on the high beams manually with the stalk, when appropriate, and then the car will automatically turn them on and off as appropriate from that point on.

Reactions: suprax
UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE! As of firmware 2022.12.3.1, auto high beams now stays enabled! It no longer gets disabled randomly or after sentry mode is activated when parked. I've been paying close attention to it for about a week and it hasn't been disabled once. This is the first time since I got my Model Y in June 2021 that it has remained enabled for more than a day or two and I've talked to several others on here and Facebook with the same behavior. 🥳