Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beam behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my auto high beam option turned on in the light menu. However, it seems to be random that I get in my car and have the icon showing that they're on actually enabled. Usually when I get in the car during daylight hours, it will show that they're enabled. But then later when I get in the car when it's dark out, they're off. Any idea why this is happening or how to resolve it?

I think you still have to manually switch them on by pushing the stalk forward, even when enabled in the master menu. In my experience, once I've switched them on, I get the "auto high-beam" icon on the screen and it stays on between drives, but sometimes disappears and I have to reactivate the feature. I'm not sure if it's shutting off because I moved the stalk, because it's supposed to do that, or because of a bug.

It's interesting, i always assumed you had to manually turn on the stalk to turn on the High Beams. Then if you enabled the Auto High Beam it would work.

I never assumed that it would automatically stay on that mode. My other car has Auto High Beams also, but you still have to turn them on when you need them.

To be honest the AHB works okay, but if you are going over rises, it doesn't react as quickly as I would like and I know it blinds people. Also, it doesn't seem to recognize the back lights of cars as I approach them and dim them as quickly either. (my other car will dim them much more consistently as I get close to them)

yes you nee dto turn it on IN the menu system - that tells the car that -- the user may want to activate auto high beams - so this setting allows it. (dumb). Then - when you want to activate auto high beams - you press stalk forward to activate auto (menu says - yes the user can do that) and now the auto high beams are activated 9and approved by the menu system). The high Beas will then go on and off. When you shutdown the car - the menu system setting is persistent (it stays to auto) BUT the stalk must still be activated when you want to use auto high beams - and the process starts over again. Dumb - yes. why a menu option? I believe forward dis auto activated and balk and hold is high beams steady until you release. I thought mine was busted until my son explained it to me - hes had a model 3 for 2 years.

yes you nee dto turn it on IN the menu system - that tells the car that -- the user may want to activate auto high beams - so this setting allows it. (dumb). Then - when you want to activate auto high beams - you press stalk forward to activate auto (menu says - yes the user can do that) and now the auto high beams are activated 9and approved by the menu system). The high Beas will then go on and off. When you shutdown the car - the menu system setting is persistent (it stays to auto) BUT the stalk must still be activated when you want to use auto high beams - and the process starts over again. Dumb - yes. why a menu option? I believe forward dis auto activated and balk and hold is high beams steady until you release. I thought mine was busted until my son explained it to me - hes had a model 3 for 2 years.
But then why sometime do I get in the car and they're on?

Reactions: NJEV-Don
The term "auto high beam" is misleading and sets the wrong expectation.. They are auto low beam. If you are on high beams, they will auto change to low beams when necessary. The reverse will not happen. if you are on low beams they will never auto change to high beams no matter the setting.
I understand that. The question isn't about their behavior when they're enabled, but rather the behavior of enabling them. Sometimes I get in the car, and they are enabled (as desired) without me needing to touch the stalk. Sometimes they are not. This seems to happen randomly.

I have Auto High Beam disabled, because I've gotten tired of blinding people. Still, when the car starts up, it enables Auto Headlights, then when the headlights come on the first time, they go to brights within a few seconds. I manually dim them and they will stay dim after that.
So, my startup procedure now includes cycling the headlights after I put the car in drive, so that they don't randomly blind someone later (usually one of my neighbors).

odd. Mine seem fine. Their on in the menus. They seem to auto high/low as appropriate. Sometimes a little quirky around turns. Sometimes I turn them off (by pushing the stalk) if I'm driving with traffic that causes them to alternate enough to annoy me. But I do think they revert back to on on the next drive.

odd. Mine seem fine. Their on in the menus. They seem to auto high/low as appropriate. Sometimes a little quirky around turns. Sometimes I turn them off (by pushing the stalk) if I'm driving with traffic that causes them to alternate enough to annoy me. But I do think they revert back to on on the next drive.

I've noticed the Tesla is a little slow to switch every now and then, but never so late that it feels worse to me than the average human driver.

My other non-Tesla constantly switches to avoid blinding things like speed limit signs.

I think you still have to manually switch them on by pushing the stalk forward, even when enabled in the master menu. In my experience, once I've switched them on, I get the "auto high-beam" icon on the screen and it stays on between drives, but sometimes disappears and I have to reactivate the feature. I'm not sure if it's shutting off because I moved the stalk, because it's supposed to do that, or because of a bug.
That has been exactly my experience too with auto high beams. Hopefully if it’s a bug, it will be addressed in a future software update.

The term "auto high beam" is misleading and sets the wrong expectation.. They are auto low beam. If you are on high beams, they will auto change to low beams when necessary. The reverse will not happen. if you are on low beams they will never auto change to high beams no matter the setting.

it is possible that that may be the behavior in Canada, but in the US, my M3 and MY switch between high and low beams as required. In residential neighborhoods with curving roads, they sometimes mistake a porch light for an oncoming car, but otherwise work well.

it is possible that that may be the behavior in Canada, but in the US, my M3 and MY switch between high and low beams as required. In residential neighborhoods with curving roads, they sometimes mistake a porch light for an oncoming car, but otherwise work well.
Mine too. Unless you switch to low beam with the stalk, in which case it stays on low beam (as it should).
My point was that it works properly.

Reactions: spokey
Mine too. Unless you switch to low beam with the stalk, in which case it stays on low beam (as it should).
My point was that it works properly.
agree. An occasional mistake, but maybe 99% the way I would do it and probably faster than me. It does switch back to high sometimes when I would not because I can see a car far away and either it does not see it or decides it's OK. In certain traffic situations that results in a too frequent back and forth at which point I just switch to low only on the stalk and if/when I'm back alone with the high on again.