Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam ceased working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Auto High Beam doesn't seem to turn on high beams anymore after one of the recent updates (haven't been out at night for a while), even on dark country road. Pushing left stalk away doesn't turn them on but only shows greyed out Auto Beam logo, indicating they are on but not available. We can still pull stalk towards us to get them to flash. Obviously we can change setting to non Auto to get around it. Anyone else seen any this?

Our Auto High Beam doesn't seem to turn on high beams anymore after one of the recent updates (haven't been out at night for a while), even on dark country road. Pushing left stalk away doesn't turn them on but only shows greyed out Auto Beam logo, indicating they are on but not available. We can still pull stalk towards us to get them to flash. Obviously we can change setting to non Auto to get around it. Any else seen any this?
That's something they could potentially fix remotely, so I would log a ticket through the app.

Reactions: paulp
They are auto-dimming, not auto-high beam. You essentially turn on the auto mode, turn on high beams (push the turn signal lever forward to get the logo), and the car will dim them as necessary. If you can see the greyed out Auto logo then they should be ready to go, but may not switch to high beam until they feel like it. If you have the Auto setting turned on but you leave the headlights on low beam they will just stay on low all the time.

"Until they feel like it" is BS.
Auto high beam will not activate from the beginning of a drive until you exceed 45kmh/25mph. No matter how dark it is. There is a speed trigger in there at start of drive presumably to accommodate car parks. Once you have exceed this speed just once in your drive, they will toggle between low and high regardless of speed, depend on darkness and oncoming traffic triggers. You can even come to a standstill and they will remain in high beam. So long as you do not end the drive by selecting park. I live out in the bush and both of our driveways are long and pitch dark at night. To get high beam, I momentarily floor it to get to 45kmh where lights switch to high beam, then I slow right back up to a sensible driveway speed of ~ 20kmh.
@evpaddie if your lights are not going to high beam on your dark road when above 45kmh try rebooting the system. My Auto high beams are working fine with latest updates installed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cafz and evpaddie
Auto high beams are useless in the city as they hardly ever turn on

I believe that this is deliberate and depends on geolocation. Places where high beam is illegal (most parts of cities), they will not go on. Street lights were out in our suburban street and I could not get high beam to work and was told that the car precludes high beam (dependent upon the nav/map data).

At least, that is what I was told.

...but then, I read this on the NSW Govt web site. Seems THEY allow high beam, even if Tesla does not!

High beam lights​

You can use your headlights on high beam if you need to see further ahead, even if there are street lights.

You must turn your headlights from high beam to low beam:

• when a vehicle coming towards you is within 200m
  • when driving 200m or less behind another vehicle.
You can also flash your high beam lights before you overtake another vehicle.

I believe that this is deliberate and depends on geolocation. Places where high beam is illegal (most parts of cities), they will not go on. Street lights were out in our suburban street and I could not get high beam to work and was told that the car precludes high beam (dependent upon the nav/map data).

At least, that is what I was told.
That is likely to be BS and suspect it just is the speed trigger at work.

I haven't had any issue manually turning on the high beams.

The auto high beams rely on vision, therefore if there is a street light on it won't turn on. Useless.

From the manual (which makes no mention of the high beams auto or otherwise being speed dependent)

Auto High Beam is enabled but high beams are not on because light is detected in front of Model 3. When light is no longer detected, high beams automatically turn back on.

Like I said the Model 3 Owners Manual made no mention of speed criteria for Auto High Beam that I could find.
Owner manual does not mention many things. Like I said easy to test. Set yourself up in a dark spot in park with Auto HD selected. Drive off and observe that high beams activate at 45kmh. As long as you stay out of park, after this they are no longer speed sensitive for the rest of the drive. The esoteric nature of this is probably why it is not mentioned in the OM.

"Auto High Beam" got turned on for me some months ago by one of the updates. It must have been on for a few months before I realised.

At no point did it ever turn high beam on for me - even driving down Lapstone Hill at 90km/h in the dark.

What id did do was if I manually turned on high beam using the stalk, it would auto-dim the high beam with approaching traffic, of if I was driving through a "slow" area. I don't know if the latter was based on my speed or the speed limit for the area but it was not possible to turn high beam on in those conditions with "Auto High Beam" on.

model 3 doesnt have auto highbeam, they just have auto-dim which currently works.... crappy.
That is incorrect. The following is extracted from the Tesla Model 3 Service manual...

1648256243679.png