Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam ceased working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is incorrect. The following is extracted from the Tesla Model 3 Service manual...

View attachment 785909
Yes its the way they call it but it doesnt behave like other manufacturers auto high beam.

In a Tesla you have to switch them on then it says A-beam on the dash. The car will then dim/switch them on/off as necessary.
It is not like other cars where the high beams are just automatic.

"Until they feel like it" is BS.
Auto high beam will not activate from the beginning of a drive until you exceed 45kmh/25mph. No matter how dark it is. There is a speed trigger in there at start of drive presumably to accommodate car parks. Once you have exceed this speed just once in your drive, they will toggle between low and high regardless of speed, depend on darkness and oncoming traffic triggers. You can even come to a standstill and they will remain in high beam. So long as you do not end the drive by selecting park. I live out in the bush and both of our driveways are long and pitch dark at night. To get high beam, I momentarily floor it to get to 45kmh where lights switch to high beam, then I slow right back up to a sensible driveway speed of ~ 20kmh.
@evpaddie if your lights are not going to high beam on your dark road when above 45kmh try rebooting the system. My Auto high beams are working fine with latest updates installed.
Leaving aside the farce of what you say you do, my car's high beams have only ever come on when I manually hold the stalk to high - then they go back to low beam when released.

I tried this morning, in the dark but with streetlights. I was successfully able to engage high beams in the garage, in the driveway and on my local suburban roads that are lit. Worked fine and no holding of stalk required. This is different from what I experienced last time I tried High Beam in my suburb some months ago and many software revisions ago (would not go on unless I held the stalk permanently). They are set to auto-headlights on with auto high beam off. I'm happy with that. The lights come on automatically when it is dim and I have control over high beam. I am on 2022.4.5.18

I do a lot of night driving in my Model S and leave them on auto most of the time. I have noticed that they will dip in streets with lighting and when there are no street lights they dip when they see headlights on the opposite side of the road or red tail lights in the distance.

That is incorrect. The following is extracted from the Tesla Model 3 Service manual...

View attachment 785909
Show me where that says it will turn High Beam on automatically, rather than auto-dim.

As I said above, I (accidentally) had Auto High Beam on for months and it never turned high beam on for me. Not once. If I did manually turn high beam on, it would dim when it detected another car. It would also not actually turn the high beam on if I was in an area it deemed inappropriate, but the high beam icon would come on but it was greyed.

Show me where that says it will turn High Beam on automatically, rather than auto-dim.

As I said above, I (accidentally) had Auto High Beam on for months and it never turned high beam on for me. Not once. If I did manually turn high beam on, it would dim when it detected another car. It would also not actually turn the high beam on if I was in an area it deemed inappropriate, but the high beam icon would come on but it was greyed.

Thats literally what I said. Technically its splitting hairs but the model 3 uses autodim not auto high beam.
In i.e. a BMW you select autohighbeams in the menu and then it uses a light sensor and will turn on the highbeam when its dark. this also means that when you drive around and theres any lightsource present i.e. street lightning or sometimes gardenlights/windows etc it will not turn on. But you dont ever have to touch the stalk.

In a Model 3 you enable autohighbeams but it doesnt actually come on. You drive around and then turn on high beams when you want them to and then the car will autodim when it detects a car coming towards you.
I am not convinced at all the software even tries to detect light via the camera unless its extremely bright. Like, if you drive on a rural highway and theres 2 dots coming towards you straight ahead any crappy software would think that this is light and switch it off. Whereas the car wait until the car is close enough to actually identify it as a car. I find that bizarre. On the flip side when you get close to a big reflective screensign it will suddenly try and detect light and switch them off.

And we KNOW that it is easier to detect light via the camera than what some people describe here. If you watch footage in sentry mode/dashcam mode and look at light far away it has a haloring/glare etc but the car will not dim. I personally couldnt care less if its a car or a streetlight. Both means the headlights can autodim..............................................

Reactions: doggy1
I think it’s all part of the bigger problem of techheads trying to solve problems that don’t exist.
Arguably reasonable if the tech actually works, but in 90% of the things in our cars it doesn’t 100% of the time. In many cases not even 66% of the time. Then you get interminable updates that try and fix things, and updates that try and fix the bugs that the last update unfixed and so on. Added to this is the way that little changes are brought in along the way so that things work slightly differently this morning.
Personally I like a switch to put on the lights and dim them. I like a knob to turn the temperature up and down. I like a stalk to switch the wipers on and off. I like a stalk to indicate turns. And so on.
I expect incoming fire here - but I’m not necessarily against automation: it’s just that it has to work 100% of the time and be as convenient and accurate as manual operation without making a dog’s breakfast of updates, release notes and the like.
So much of the stuff that’s in the cars now just isn’t helpful, but is more like an inconvenience.

Reactions: evpaddie
the incoming fire will be that the autodim future doesnt work properly. it detects cars far too late.
I am just happy that I can turn high beam on or off manually, when I want to do so and do not have to hold a stalk in. My previous car had headlights that steered as you went around a corner. I found that much more use than an autodim or auto high feature. From what I see on the roads, lots of drivers fail to dip in time and perhaps they are also driving cars that are supposed to do it? Certainly, over the years, the coming of automated headlight systems does not seem to have particularly reduced the on-road problems. However, I have not tried the Tesla autodim because of the stalk issue.

@evpaddie I think I have a solution for you.

Park the car in a dark place (e.g. your garage).
Make sure your lights are set to Auto
Make sure Auto High Beam is on
If is dark and you're sitting in the car, the lights should be on.
Turn on high beam by pushing the left stalk (note that high beam may not actually come on but you should get a grey icon on the screen to indicate it is on)
Leave it like that.

I believe the car will remember that high beam is turned on and so it will be on except when it shouldn't be. i.e. it will turn on when it is dark (headlights are on), when you are going the appropriate speed (or in the appropriate speed zone) and there is no traffic detected.

That's what you want, right?

Last edited:
@evpaddie I think I have a solution for you.

Park the car in a dark place (e.g. your garage).
Make sure your lights are set to Auto
Make sure Auto High Beam is on
If is dark and you're sitting in the car, the lights should be on.
Turn on high beam by pushing the left stalk (note that high beam may not actually come on but you should get a grey icon on the screen to indicate it is on)
Leave it like that.

I believe the car will remember that high beam is turned on and so it will be on except when it shouldn't be. i.e. it will turn on when it is dark (headlights are on), when you are going the appropriate speed (or in the appropriate speed zone) and there is no traffic detected.

That's what you want, right?
Yes, that's what we want. We have tried what you prescribe while driving to no avail. I have also tried in our garage and yes we get the grey icon. We'll give it another try. Lucky we do very little night driving.

It's so long since I gave up trying to understand the vagaries that I forget!
I will try it again tonight.
(Model S - LR)
OK: I've been out and - I know I'm a few bulbs short of a box nowadays, how appropriate - I'm more confused than before!
I read through my copy of the 2020 user manual's "Lights" section - when I get in the car the lights' setting page ain't like the diagram - strike one.
So I bring up the owners' manual in the car - and of course it's different. However, I can't read the manual AND have the settings page up at the same time, so it's difficult relating one to the other given the slow download of the manual. - strike two.
The in-car user manual doesn't seem to have an explanation of the light's settings page, or at least doesn't have the diagram that the 2020 manual has and that's different.
The settings from left to right are OFF, parking lights, a diagram of what appears to be dipped headlights, "AUTO" and lastly, and new, an icon of lights with "A" inside.
On a drive around in the dark it appears that, as I have always found, in "Auto" the only way to get full beam is to pull the stalk and keep it pulled. Pushing it has no effect.
But then I found that the right hand icon with the "A" inside seems to be default selected when in "Auto": by deselecting it the full beam/dipped beam is available manually on the stalk just as I would expect.
A right old mess caused by being too clever by half, IMO.

On a drive around in the dark it appears that, as I have always found, in "Auto" the only way to get full beam is to pull the stalk and keep it pulled. Pushing it has no effect.
But then I found that the right hand icon with the "A" inside seems to be default selected when in "Auto": by deselecting it the full beam/dipped beam is available manually on the stalk just as I would expect.
A right old mess caused by being too clever by half, IMO.
Yes, I think that is the behaviour of "Auto High Beam". With it on, you can override by puling on the stalk. Pushing should toggle the high beam on (but it may not actually turn high beam on until you are in a situation where it wants you to have it on).

I must say these descriptions of automatic high beam behaviour were almost identical to my experience with my Audi A3 etron. I gave up on it in the end, mainly because it and the Tesla system don’t dip the lights early enough for me. I mainly talking about when you see the orange lights on a truck’s roof line and you know the driver is copping an eyeful of bright light - well before their headlights become visible and the car works out it needs to go to low beam.

Reactions: Wol747