Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam Icon issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have Auto High Beam Enabled in my settings for my 2020 P3D but 9 times out of 10 once I push the left steering wheel stalk forward to enable the Auto High Beam Icon to appear on the screen after starting the car, when I come back after a stop or even the next day the Auto High Beam Icon is gone from the screen and I have to re-enable it by pushing the left stalk forward. If you have Auto High Beam enabled in the settings shouldn’t the Auto High Beam Icon always appear on the screen without having to re-enable it once it’s enabled? On our Model S it stays on. Have an SC appointment next week for some other things but wanted to find out if this issue I’m having is normal or not. The actual Auto High Beam functionality works great.

Auto high beam means that when you switch to high beams they will automatically turn off when another car is coming toward you.

If you turn auto high beam off in the settings then your high beams will stay on when another car is coming towards you.

The headlights will always re-set to low beams when you re-start the car so you're not the dumbass driving around with their high beams on all day ;)

Auto high beam means that when you switch to high beams they will automatically turn off when another car is coming toward you.

If you turn auto high beam off in the settings then your high beams will stay on when another car is coming towards you.

The headlights will always re-set to low beams when you re-start the car so you're not the dumbass driving around with their high beams on all day ;)
Totally get that and agree , my point is if you have auto high beam enabled in the settings the auto high beam icon should always appear on the screen even when your headlights are not on( the auto high beam icon displays on screen but is grayed out during the day when your headlights are not on and lights up when your headlights are on and the high beams activate) but my experience shows the icon doesn’t stay on the screen like it does in our Model S.

I think of it as “auto low beams”, not “auto high beams”. If your high beams are set on, this feature automatically sets them low in many situations. This feature is a way that you can be lazy about turning your headlights down, not be lazy about turning your headlights up.

One reason that the high beams “permanently” shut off when using this feature is if you flash the headlights. If your lights are set to go high automatically and you come upon a jerk that won’t turn their headlights down, so you flash your headlights (pull the stalk towards you), your headlights will exit the automatic high mode.

For me, in general, if I leave them on in one driving session, they are on in the next driving session. I can’t think of a specific case where they didn’t do this, but I’m ok with turning them on. Their algorithm doesn’t always behave like I want so I manually set the headlights to low frequently.

Reactions: mrau
my auto high beam mode retains its state. meaning i virtually never touch the light stalk and lights are fully auto and auto-high beam (without so far annoying other drivers)

this is with current software