Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam making Autosteer unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 build with matrix lights. I have not found drivers ever flash at me and I find the automatic control acceptable. Then again I'm driving around SoCal and there is always significant enough traffic that the highs are rarely on when there are other cars around.

That's kinda-true. If there is enough traffic on the opposite side of the highway that auto-high-beams never engage, yeah they work ok (by not doing anything).

They are pretty miserable in most other conditions - frequently blinding oncoming traffic.

Happily one press on the left stalk disables the auto feature, and now you have manual high beams, which is what I wanted in the first place.

Happily one press on the left stalk disables the auto feature, and now you have manual high beams, which is what I wanted in the first place.
I keep reading this but either my car is different or I'm too stupid to catch on. I still get stuck in a mode with autosteer active where I cannot activate high beams (unless I continuously hold the stalk towards me!). Most of my night driving is in the country with minimal traffic but plenty of deer. I need high beams for all the advance notice I can get.

I keep reading this but either my car is different or I'm too stupid to catch on. I still get stuck in a mode with autosteer active where I cannot activate high beams (unless I continuously hold the stalk towards me!). Most of my night driving is in the country with minimal traffic but plenty of deer. I need high beams for all the advance notice I can get.

Engage Auto Pilot. This will enable auto-high-beams as default. Push the left stalk away from you one time. You are now in manual-high-beam mode with your lights on low-beam until you decide otherwise (or until you re-engage AP which will start the adventure over again)

• Disagree
Reactions: nvx1977
Engage Auto Pilot. This will enable auto-high-beams as default. Push the left stalk away from you one time. You are now in manual-high-beam mode with your lights on low-beam until you decide otherwise (or until you re-engage AP which will start the adventure over again)

You are missing the point. Typically there are 2 modes of manual autobeam usage: pull toward you and hold for as long as you need them, OR, push the stalk away from you, and they stay on forever until you pull back on the stalk.

People are saying that with auto high beam, you no longer have the option to push forward on the stalk to lock the high beams on.

I can do that and the gray headlight symbol with an A in it goes away. Then the low beams are on but I cannot switch to high beams. Really messed up. So much for "supervised autonomy"!

your only recourse for activating high beams manually (if you disable auto high beams) is to pull the stalk toward you and hold it. Works if you just need the high beams for a short period, or if you're anticipating some oncoming traffic. But for long stretches, you have no manual option anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
your only recourse for activating high beams manually (if you disable auto high beams) is to pull the stalk toward you and hold it. Works if you just need the high beams for a short period, or if you're anticipating some oncoming traffic. But for long stretches, you have no manual option anymore.

I can see this trouble for a rural use case where manual extended use of highbeams is desired. In my well lit city situation, I just don't want the high beams doing anything at all, so disabling them with one press upon AP engagement works.

I can see this trouble for a rural use case where manual extended use of highbeams is desired. In my well lit city situation, I just don't want the high beams doing anything at all, so disabling them with one press upon AP engagement works.

I am with you. I generally don't need or prefer high beams unless I actually can't see something. I rarely use it. But clearly lots of people are not happy that a pretty standard manual high beam function is gone with this auto-high-beam setup.

Wait, what?
So the issue with auto high beams is that they don't turn off for oncoming cars - I've got that.
How does that prevent you from treating the auto high beam like a manual version.
See a car? Turn them off, just like manual high beams, just push the stalk forward.
Long stretch of road? - turn on auto high beams then off again as needed.
Short stretch? Pull back just like a regular car.
Manual version hasn't gone - the auto doesn't magically stop them acting like manual high beams, other than they sometime dip later than you'd like. But that won't be a problem because you just turn them off when needed, just like manual.
The only "recourse" is to use them like a manual version.
I don't see the problem here.

Reactions: Dewg
Wait, what?
So the issue with auto high beams is that they don't turn off for oncoming cars - I've got that.
How does that prevent you from treating the auto high beam like a manual version.
See a car? Turn them off, just like manual high beams, just push the stalk forward.
Long stretch of road? - turn on auto high beams then off again as needed.
Short stretch? Pull back just like a regular car.
Manual version hasn't gone - the auto doesn't magically stop them acting like manual high beams, other than they sometime dip later than you'd like. But that won't be a problem because you just turn them off when needed, just like manual.
The only "recourse" is to use them like a manual version.
I don't see the problem here.
Because you can't force them on. It's either off or auto while in autopilot. The car tends to over react to road signs and whatnot, so you just get constant flashing of the high beams when you want them to just stay on.

Because you can't force them on. It's either off or auto while in autopilot. The car tends to over react to road signs and whatnot, so you just get constant flashing of the high beams when you want them to just stay on.
OK, I get that, but how does that force somebody to drive along holding the stalk back for a long drive.
Never using auto high beams just because it might occasionally dip is a little extreme.

Reactions: RTPEV