Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam making Autosteer unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto high beam is an engineering debacle. Since 28.2 autosteer is now unusable at night. Driving on a divided highway it flashes lights on and off at 30 second intervals even when the closest vehicle is a kilometre down the road.
On vehicles manufactured after April 2022 (at least Model Y, probably others), engaging Autosteer automatically turns on the Auto High Beam. Unfortunately, during low traffic situations on the highway at night, this makes Autosteer completely unusable. We all know the reliability of High Beams and they turn on whenever they think there's no car in front of me, except there often is one not too far away, so other drivers get blinded and understandably angry.

Does anyone with a car made after April 2022 have this problem as well, and did you find a solution? It is not possible to disable Auto High Beams when on Autopilot so not sure what can be done, but it is terribly frustrating not to be able to use Autosteer at night because of this.

View attachment 819527
This is also a problem on vehicles made prior to April 2022. On my 2021 model 3 (28.2) auto high beams make autosteer unusable at night. Driving on a divided highway it flashes lights on and off at 30 second intervals even when the closest vehicle is a kilometre down the road.

anecdotally through recent posts, people have been reporting that auto high beams have been significantly improved in the last few FSDb releases. I tried them once and they did seem to work well, but it was a short night drive. Plus I've been disabling it for so long I don't remember how bad it used to be.

So, are there zero efforts to improve this. so-called "single stack" is coming "soon" for well over a year. And does that even fix anything?
The problem has been fixed for the most part. That's probably why there have been no posts on this thread in more than two months. I won't say that it's perfect, but it is so much improved that I no longer worry about it at all. It works very well now. And I was one of the people complaining loudly about it just a few months ago. It went from completely unusable to quite good in some recent release. I can't say exactly when the change happened, and i don't remember seeing anything in any release notes, but it is basically fixed now.

It’s a marked improvement - always on now and enjoy them. I’d say they are on par with any system out there.

Still, can do better - slow speed will not turn on and neighborhood driving picks up cars in driveways as active vehicles. Soooo close.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
My auto high beams always turn on when other cars are nearby. It ruins the night driving experience because it constantly flashes higher then lower when cars are definitely in the “blinding range”.

Meanwhile, my 2020 GMC auto high beams work much better and can “see” cars a mile away it seems and turns them off in a mostly appropriate manner.

A stock rental Skoda that I just got in Poland had projector high beams that form the beam around on coming and followed traffic. It was weird at first but man was that super cool. Meanwhile my Tesla constantly flashes street signs, on off on off on off...

A stock rental Skoda that I just got in Poland had projector high beams that form the beam around on coming and followed traffic. It was weird at first but man was that super cool. Meanwhile my Tesla constantly flashes street signs, on off on off on off...

That matrix behavior has not been made fully legal in the US - but that is what Tesla matrix should do eventually.

I have not seen that on/off/on/off behavior for a few updates now. They work pretty well and I leave mine on all the time.

Reactions: fobo and Dewg
anecdotally through recent posts, people have been reporting that auto high beams have been significantly improved in the last few FSDb releases. I tried them once and they did seem to work well, but it was a short night drive. Plus I've been disabling it for so long I don't remember how bad it used to be.
nope. I am on 2022.44.25.1 and auto high beams are still laughably bad. Goes on, on a well lit freeway.

Last edited: