Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high-beam question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but you have to constantly turn them on again. It's been like that since I've owned the car, so nothing new. Basically if you don't see the grayed out high-beam with the A inside of it below the green headlight indicator, they are not enabled and you need to flick the stalk to enable them. After I enable them, maybe the next 2-3 drives it remembers that I want them enabled, but eventually they'll be off again.

Because this seems like such a basic bug that hasn't been dealt with for at least 3 years, I have to wonder if it's intentional behavior--maybe some kind of strange safety thing that I don't quite understand?

No, but you have to constantly turn them on again. It's been like that since I've owned the car, so nothing new. Basically if you don't see the grayed out high-beam with the A inside of it below the green headlight indicator, they are not enabled and you need to flick the stalk to enable them. After I enable them, maybe the next 2-3 drives it remembers that I want them enabled, but eventually they'll be off again.

Because this seems like such a basic bug that hasn't been dealt with for at least 3 years, I have to wonder if it's intentional behavior--maybe some kind of strange safety thing that I don't quite understand?

I have the opposite problem! Mine come on frequently on residential streets where they are not needed, so I disable the auto high-beams. But every so often, the car decides to turn them on again. (Maybe it's after software updates? I haven't tracked closely.)

its ultra erratic. probably the least reliable feature in the car. cant figure if will turn on if theres no car detected on the AP/FSD screen , or if its about threshold of the luminosity of the incoming car, or something else. simply impossible with human heuristics to guess at when it will or will not switch to high beams.

moderately reliable when driving on underlit country roads. useless when driving on wide freeways with lots of reflections and various cars at all distances.

its ultra erratic. probably the least reliable feature in the car. cant figure if will turn on if theres no car detected on the AP/FSD screen , or if its about threshold of the luminosity of the incoming car, or something else. simply impossible with human heuristics to guess at when it will or will not switch to high beams.

moderately reliable when driving on underlit country roads. useless when driving on wide freeways with lots of reflections and various cars at all distances.

its not AP detection. The car will switch off before it can detect a car on the AP view but its usually way too late. it also never recognizes cars from behind until they are blinded.

its not AP detection. The car will switch off before it can detect a car on the AP view but its usually way too late. it also never recognizes cars from behind until they are blinded.
i wonder if its something that can be iimproved with software. no idea where the sensor/detection and control modules are for (older) cars with beam-forming LED matrix lights, but they work very effectively with high precision, and those cars dont have the level of systems integration of tesla.

if the control logic is centralized in tesla, one hopes/imagines it can be easily updated

i wonder if its something that can be iimproved with software. no idea where the sensor/detection and control modules are for (older) cars with beam-forming LED matrix lights, but they work very effectively with high precision, and those cars dont have the level of systems integration of tesla.

if the control logic is centralized in tesla, one hopes/imagines it can be easily updated

i dont get it either. If you have a light sensor i.e. in a bmw it only puts the lights on in total darkness and the moment some lights starts appearing (whether thats a street light or car) they switch itself off. The tesla system of course is far more superior as it it keeps the lights on until a car actually gets too close - however thats not working in practice.
I wish theyd have a "traditional" mode for the auto high beams where if it detects some lights in front of you itll just switch them agressively off.....