Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam Turning Off?

Do you need to manually activate auto high beam with stock every time you get in car?

• Yes

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Dont use auto high beam

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know how the Model 3 stalk works. On the S and X, the stalk has to be in the forward range for the high beams to be on, and it can be left in the forward range as long as one desires and doesn’t reset back on its own.

But I know the turn signals work differently on the 3, so it wouldn’t be too surprising if the headlights do too. Does the stalk have a fixed forward position, or does it spring back immediately like the turn signals?

from page 50 of https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
Indicators:
highBeam.PNG

Totally useless data point: our Ford auto headlight turns off high beams under 25 MPH or so.

Yes, my car turns off auto high-beams on its own all the time. I haven't correlated any particular other action to the auto high-beam issue. Somebody on Reddit mentioned that it may be related to Sentry events or the USB drive, but I still haven't found a solid correlation.

(My car has been doing this across multiple software versions, both V9 and V10.)

Is anyone else experiencing auto high beam turning off? I set auto high beams to auto in menu however every time i get into my car I need to push the stock towards the windshield to activate the auto high beams, is this normal?
Same issue here. Auto HB used to stay on. Now I have to manually initiate high beams (no Auto HB icon on screen and they don't come on by themselves) to get the Auto HB feature to work for that particular drive. Not a profile issue as I've checked that all profiles have Auto HB selected. Haven't flashed high beams either prior to the Auto feature being disabled.
At least this is a simple fix - pull the lever. If I had to go into the menu to turn on the auto HB feature, THAT would be a problem.

Is anyone else experiencing auto high beam turning off? I set auto high beams to auto in menu however every time i get into my car I need to push the stock towards the windshield to activate the auto high beams, is this normal?

Yes, this is how they work.
Auto-high beams is a misnomer, as they don't come ON automatically. They do turn OFF automatically, when incoming traffic is detected.

I appreciate all the user manual info but its weird, everytime I get into the car i need to push the stalk forward to turn on high beams.

The functionality is not weird, it's pretty reasonable, as there are many situations when you do NOT want to have high beams come ON automatically (fog, rain, snow, etc).

What is somewhat confusing is the name, as it implies different functionality than what is provided.
But even then, this is nothing compared to Full Self Driving feature's claims :D

a

Auto-high beams is a misnomer, as they don't come ON automatically. They do turn OFF automatically, when incoming traffic is detected.

Humm, if that is the case (no automatic transition from low to high), the maunal is wrong
Auto High Beam is enabled but high beams are not on because light is detected in front of Model 3. When light is no longer detected, high beams automatically turn back on

Reactions: UKNOWINVU2
Humm, if that is the case (no automatic transition from low to high), the maunal is wrong

I agree. This is clearly a bug. @afadeev, what i am saying is the icon to say that auto high beam disappears every time i get into the car. That said yesterday I went into the options, toggled auto beam on then off, to make sure profile saved. This morning when i got into the car auto high beam icon was on, but greyed out, as anticipated. However there was no sentry activities. Once person said they do not use sentry therefore that must not be the issue, but perhaps there is something to do with sentry.

Surely the answer is that when the headlights are next turned on, Auto High Beam must be re-enabled, which makes sense to me. You wouldn’t expect Auto High Beam to be active with the headlights off.

The far more major problem I have is that Auto High Beam doesn’t go to dipped beam quickly enough, then returns to high beam when it shouldn’t. Nearly everyone is flashing me from 400m away, as the expectation is that as soon as a car appears, you dip your lights. Auto High Beam seems to wait until the other vehicle is about 20-50m away, which is too late. Then it will frequently flash back to high beam briefly just as another vehicle approaches. It also can’t seem to identify motorcycles or cars with one headlight (quite common here, about one in ten cars has just one headlight working).

It’s especially bad when meeting cars on corners, or when following other traffic, or when driving through town - in those situations, Auto High Beam is on high beam most of the time; it should be dipped most of the time. I’m having to override it almost every time it switches to high beam.

-Alex

Last edited: