Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my M3P a week and a half now and, so far, haven't driven it after dark. Several of the previous cars I've owned have had an auto high beam function and I've not rated any of them as really usable! The problems have always been not dipping early enough, spurious "flashing" which confuses oncoming drivers, etc.

So, what's the consensus on the auto high beam implementation in the Model 3? Good, bad or awful?

Coincidentally I was out last night for the first time where oncoming traffic wasn't consistent so got to see the auto function work.

I was impressed as mine came on and dipped early enough. I didn't ever feel it stayed on longer than necessary.

Bad, certainly not good. I never have a problem in my wifes BMW, but the headlights overall are pretty poor in comparison to the Germans.

Odd that as I find the headlights have plenty of power and compare well to my old BM M3.

You need to try driving an Ampera at night with a single filament for main and dip for a really poor design. Replacing with HIDs and later an LED lamp improved it from dangerous.

My wipers wouldn't stop recently.
There was an impending install awaiting me to park up and I also noticed the lights were on in broad daylight even when facing the sun.

Other half said the car was getting impatient and annoying me on purpose.

Is AI finally becoming sentient?

Interesting. Looks like I'm the only one with a non negative comment.

I've probably used it the least so maybe that may be why as I've only picked up the car 9 days ago.

Maybe I've got better sensors (wishful thinking on my part)

Like the windscreen wipers, its vastly improved from how it use to behave and now very useful for the roads around us that we commonly use. But its not perfect.

One thing worth considering is the rapid dropoff of the LED light pattern. The light being slow to dip appears not necessarily to be a problem to oncoming road users as the beam appears not as intense at that point in time - which is why even if it does dip late we find that we are unlikely to be flashed.

I'm still impressed how it dips the lights for cars at junctions waiting to join our carriageway.

Like almost every Tesla feature regarded as normal in other expensive cars: frustratingly half-baked. It nearly works properly, but not quite. You know they could fix it if they wanted to, but they seem to be investing all their efforts in FSD at the expense of the basics. That makes these features annoying rather than useful. Other examples for me include cruise control, voice commands and smartphone integration. It is such a shame because there is so much good about this car, and these annoyances detract greatly from what would otherwise be such a favourable experience.

I thought the adaptive headlight system on my old BMW was very good indeed.

Reactions: Stach
Auto high beam is absolute crap. So crap that I’ve turned it off because it’s not fit for purpose. Too slow to react to oncoming vehicles, too slow to turn on again afterwards.

I really don’t understand why they aren’t overridden when there’s plenty of ambient light from streetlights. Why would I need high beam in the middle of a busy town?

Particularly frustrating when driving along dark country roads is that chevron signs cause the lights to dip, just when you’re coming up to a bend and need them most.

All in all it’s another epic fail from Tesla. How I wish I still had my fabulous matrix headlights from my A6 which worked perfectly.

I think there was another thread about this not too long ago. Yep it is useless, too slow to activate, too slow to turn off, comes on when it isn't needed and turns off when it sees a sign. I think it is the same issue where tesla tried to be clever and use the cameras to do this rather than using a sensor, which doesn't work as well.

Reactions: Stach
Auto high beam is absolute crap. So crap that I’ve turned it off because it’s not fit for purpose. Too slow to react to oncoming vehicles, too slow to turn on again afterwards.

I really don’t understand why they aren’t overridden when there’s plenty of ambient light from streetlights. Why would I need high beam in the middle of a busy town?

Particularly frustrating when driving along dark country roads is that chevron signs cause the lights to dip, just when you’re coming up to a bend and need them most.

All in all it’s another epic fail from Tesla. How I wish I still had my fabulous matrix headlights from my A6 which worked perfectly.

Odd that one of the things I thought was good driving around last night is in patches where the street lights were good the high beams didn't come up. Now I'm questioning my observation skills. Will have to go out driving tonight again.

Interesting comments.

Personally I thought auto high beam was fine, but I noticed I tend the find standard headlights good enough so it rarely occurs to me to switch to high beam (auto or otherwise)

I did however notice reflection from signs (slow down for the corner signs being the main culprit) tend to cause high beam to witch off in auto mode

This is the price we pay for Tesla trying to be too clever and using one camera for everything. I do a lot of night driving and the auto high beams are going to kill someone. Too slow to come on leaving you blind for about a second. Every car seems to get this right except ours. Its not rocket science.