Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not been out in the dark really since I got it 2 months ago so will wait and see, isn't sounding optimistic though :)

First auto head lights I had were on a BMW M4 in 2015, these actually were fantastic "adaptive LED", they detected the oncoming vehicle and only dipped the part of the head light that was hitting the vehicle.

If you've never used them you won't understand, but highly impressive over the winter months.

This is from a youtube video, the car has a slot dipped where the car in front is, and any passing cars it will dip that side while keeping the other side lit

1629495832412.png

I've never bothered having mine on.

When the manual solution is just a quick push/pull of the stalk then I don't see the point in automating it. It's hardly a ballache is it?
But the point is that it’s supposed to work. It’s a feature of the car. The reality though is that the auto lights are complete crap - same with the windscreen wipers.

Can someone with the new 2021 headlights comment if they are any better.
I have the new 2021 model 3 with updated headlights. And from reading all the comments I can clearly say that no they aren’t any better ( maybe more brighter) but the auto beam is a total disaster, never works how it should and is not to be compared to adaptive LED like the ones from BMW. The auto windshield wipers are also useless, never turns on when needed.

I had a BMW M3 with adaptive LED headlights and the intelligent dipping was fantastic.

I drove my M3P 70 miles back from London in the dark a few days ago and it was an awful experience with no street lighting.

The auto main beam dipping prevented me from using headlights (when the road was clear), unless I pulled the stalk forward in flash mode.

Also, my dipped lights were far too low, so driving down narrow country roads was a real challenge as I couldn't use main beam; I later disabled the auto dipping.

I now need to raise the dip beam height, not sure how high to set it, as it seems to have changed its settings by itself.

The Tesla M3P main beam is very bright.