Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams acting up since last update not just a stalk forward flick issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know about hitting the stalk forward by mistake taking it out of auto, as I did that early on, so that isn't my problem.

The first time I drove at night after the last update, my high beams went on automatically but then didn't sense the area and stayed on high as I neared cars in front, I just thought I wasn't close enough, but I felt I was too close to have them on. Then they remained on with cars coming at me, so I flicked the stalk forward to turn auto off.

When I set them back on auto by flicking the stalk forward again, they didn't come on automatically at all. Since I was nearly home I promptly forgot about it until tonight driving down a long unfamiliar unlit back road they never came on. The second light with the A in it was displayed the whole time.

I had never used the manual mode, so I couldn't turn them on at all, not knowing that I had to turn auto high beam off to use them manually. So when I got home, I went through all of the settings again. I can't get them to turn on automatically. The second headlight with the A in it shows up, but they never turn on. Our driveway is dark enough so they normally go on high beam as soon as I turn into it.

I have turned the lights off, to just on and then to auto, I've turned auto high beam on and off and back on again.

With auto high beam off I can use them manually by pushing the stalk forward, and I can flash them so they are functioning but not automatically.

Time for a trouble report? or have I missed something.

My P3D+ does this constantly to the point I’ve practically given up on using the feature. On the opposing end though our X3 M40i is super conservative about auto-brights even after de-coding the “anti-dazzle” which allows it to create a light tunnel when approaching vehicles from behind.

hmmm i actually noticed the high beam icon with the A/"auto" in it was on for the first time ever when i was driving to work at 8AM on Monday (i.e it was light out), didn't think much of it at the time but now that you mention it...

Usual comment... have you tried rebooting? Either after loading the new firmware or after noticing an issue? Always the first thing to do and if you don’t mention it, have to assume you didn’t. :D

Seriously, many little glitches are fixed by a reboot.

Happened to me a few times so I have a habit of checking my high beams when I know headlights are on. Mine has happened even after reboots. There some glitch. I think it has to do with autopilot sometimes. I think the high beam is needed for it to see far away and turns it on sometimes without our say so.

Usual comment... have you tried rebooting? Either after loading the new firmware or after noticing an issue? Always the first thing to do and if you don’t mention it, have to assume you didn’t. :D

Seriously, many little glitches are fixed by a reboot.

LOL, I thought you were pulling my leg when I read the first sentence, I didn't know you could reboot the car. I'll give that a try. I hope we never get to the point where we get the Blue Screen of Death, although that Car & Driver episode at Christmas was pretty close to a BOD, but at least it was parked.