Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams - am I doing something wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't turn on set to auto for some reason. Maybe because the road isn't paved and our car has trouble reading it because it has no lines painted on it? That's the only reason I can think of.
The reason is that the auto high beams are programmed to turn off below 26mph. I have no idea why they did this. Some idiot probably thinks if you are driving that slowly you are in a city with streetlights and you shouldn’t be using high beams. It is incredibly annoying for those who drive in small rural towns or drive on gravel roads or long driveways.

Reactions: LadyOnikara
I'm not sure how wide-spread this auto high beam issue is? Should we be opening support tickets with Tesla about this issue?
You can do it but they'll just tell you that it's a software bug that will be fixed in a future release and cancel the ticket.

I just disengage auto high beams on the off chance I'm using autosteer at night. I rarely use autosteer since the FSD is such a sh!tshow.

The reason is that the auto high beams are programmed to turn off below 26mph. I have no idea why they did this. Some idiot probably thinks if you are driving that slowly you are in a city with streetlights and you shouldn’t be using high beams. It is incredibly annoying for those who drive in small rural towns or drive on gravel roads or long driveways.
The AutoHighBeam function still has a non-operating threshold below 266MPH, even now in December of 2023. I have the same issue as azulejo has with driving on dirt roads at speeds below 26MPH for safety. My neighborhood keeps speeds under 25 to avoid hitting wild animals, mostly deer, which cross suddenly in front of you. We need the high beams in that environment.

Reactions: LadyOnikara
Yes, we humans are at the mercy of machines!

The sensor is the camera. Nothing is wrong with the camera. It's the software to translate those pixels into actionable results. It's the result of using Tesla Vision without proper testing first.
We are the beta testers. Pro: we get to drive a really smart EV; Con: car drives us crazy sometimes