Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams don’t work on unsealed roads/unknown speed zones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting experience this evening (Australian time) - auto high beams were working fine as usual (they work really well), but not long after I started driving on an unsealed road, the high beams switched off & wouldn’t come back on again (no cars around). I rebooted but it didn’t fix. Then after 10 minutes or so I got backed to sealed road & they started working again.
I don’t know if it was the road being unsealed or that the speed zone wasn’t registered - I’m guessing the latter. But even if it was due to being an unknown speed zone, what’s the justification for low beam only lights?

Perhaps the bright reflection off the gravel road registers as oncoming lights? I like to drive with high beam when possible in the suburbs as we still have critters to avoid late at nights (the odd wallaby, possums, cats...bandicoots & koalas on occasions) and I found it kept dipping when there was street lighting ahead so that's one auto feature I've turned off tbh.