Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams issue

Joetnr1

Nov 10, 2015
Los Angeles
First longer night drive in my SR+ last night. Noticed that while on AP on the freeway, the auto high beams were kicking on WAY too much for my liking, making it seem like I was flashing people well ahead of me, or even oncoming traffic. Fishing through the settings, it looks like to run AP you MUST have the auto high beams enabled, which means you need to manually disable them every time you engage AP. For someone with basic AP like myself, every lane change requires a disengaging/reengaging of AP, so this feature is a complete pain in my experience. Am I missing something here?

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...Am I missing something here?...
No. I don't think you miss anything here.

I don't like it either but your experience is consistent with how it works as designed currently unless there will be some one smarter to fix it (such as to reinstall your missing Radar back to your car...)

Joetnr1

Nov 10, 2015
Los Angeles
No. I don't think you miss anything here.

I don't like it either but your experience is consistent with how it works as designed currently unless there will be some one smarter to fix it (such as to reinstall your missing Radar back to your car...)
Ahh I didn't realize this was also specific to the vision camera system!

Bulldogge16

Apr 22, 2021
Ajax, Ontario
First longer night drive in my SR+ last night. Noticed that while on AP on the freeway, the auto high beams were kicking on WAY too much for my liking, making it seem like I was flashing people well ahead of me, or even oncoming traffic. Fishing through the settings, it looks like to run AP you MUST have the auto high beams enabled, which means you need to manually disable them every time you engage AP. For someone with basic AP like myself, every lane change requires a disengaging/reengaging of AP, so this feature is a complete pain in my experience. Am I missing something here?
The easiest way I’ve found to work around this annoyance with autopilot lane change reengagement is to use the turn signal stalk to disengage the auto auto high beams.

Reactions: mrau

Rice&Curry

May 9, 2018
San Jose
As I understand, in the absence of the radar, the car has to completely rely on vision , hence the high beam to see greater distance at night. In older cars which have radar, ( prior to the Tesla dropping the Radar ) will the behaviour be different?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I have an MS so this is just a shot in the dark 😉 have you tried turning the auto high beam off when in Park when your profile is selected?

its a tesla vision thing (so not present in model S or in non tesla vision model 3s or Ys (ones delivered prior to the swap to no radar).

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
auto high beams suck at the moment. The only time they work reliably is on bendy roads where the AI can sort of catch the oncoming car from the side and switch the lights off. On long highways they are unusable. They switch off way too late for oncoming cars as well as cars you come towards from behind....

I do get that one of the cool things with them is that you can enjoy high beams even when there is some sparse lighting (unlike traditional auto highbeams which just wont come on if there is any light at all). But I wish thered be a legacy sensitivity mode....

Atm they are unuseable.

Reactions: Tomc62 and Joetnr1

Joetnr1

Nov 10, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm hoping that it'll be addressed soon as this system is pretty backward for my personal driving tastes. I generally never use high beams on the freeway, yet 95% of my AP driving IS on the freeway.

More importantly, if the vision cameras really need that extra light to function at full potential, it just feels a bit like they weren't quite ready for primetime.

mrau

Authorized Driver
Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Mid-Michigan
I like to think of Auto High Beams as Auto Dim. I leave the setting turned on. However if I move the left stalk to the low beam setting, the lights will stay in low until I move the stalk to High beam. Once stalk is in High Beam position, then the lights will Auto Dim as it sees fit.

Might be possible to use AP by keeping car setting for Auto High Beams to On, and then just control it with your left stalk.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoG

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC