Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First longer night drive in my SR+ last night. Noticed that while on AP on the freeway, the auto high beams were kicking on WAY too much for my liking, making it seem like I was flashing people well ahead of me, or even oncoming traffic. Fishing through the settings, it looks like to run AP you MUST have the auto high beams enabled, which means you need to manually disable them every time you engage AP. For someone with basic AP like myself, every lane change requires a disengaging/reengaging of AP, so this feature is a complete pain in my experience. Am I missing something here?

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
First longer night drive in my SR+ last night. Noticed that while on AP on the freeway, the auto high beams were kicking on WAY too much for my liking, making it seem like I was flashing people well ahead of me, or even oncoming traffic. Fishing through the settings, it looks like to run AP you MUST have the auto high beams enabled, which means you need to manually disable them every time you engage AP. For someone with basic AP like myself, every lane change requires a disengaging/reengaging of AP, so this feature is a complete pain in my experience. Am I missing something here?
The easiest way I’ve found to work around this annoyance with autopilot lane change reengagement is to use the turn signal stalk to disengage the auto auto high beams.

Reactions: mrau
As I understand, in the absence of the radar, the car has to completely rely on vision , hence the high beam to see greater distance at night. In older cars which have radar, ( prior to the Tesla dropping the Radar ) will the behaviour be different?

auto high beams suck at the moment. The only time they work reliably is on bendy roads where the AI can sort of catch the oncoming car from the side and switch the lights off. On long highways they are unusable. They switch off way too late for oncoming cars as well as cars you come towards from behind....

I do get that one of the cool things with them is that you can enjoy high beams even when there is some sparse lighting (unlike traditional auto highbeams which just wont come on if there is any light at all). But I wish thered be a legacy sensitivity mode....

Atm they are unuseable.

Reactions: Tomc62 and Joetnr1
I'm hoping that it'll be addressed soon as this system is pretty backward for my personal driving tastes. I generally never use high beams on the freeway, yet 95% of my AP driving IS on the freeway.

More importantly, if the vision cameras really need that extra light to function at full potential, it just feels a bit like they weren't quite ready for primetime.

Reactions: ss71
I like to think of Auto High Beams as Auto Dim. I leave the setting turned on. However if I move the left stalk to the low beam setting, the lights will stay in low until I move the stalk to High beam. Once stalk is in High Beam position, then the lights will Auto Dim as it sees fit.

Might be possible to use AP by keeping car setting for Auto High Beams to On, and then just control it with your left stalk.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna and GeoG
I think the auto high beam is turning on far to late after approaching traffic has passed. In my opinion it should turn on immediately and when the approaching vehicle is on my side.

I think the auto high beam (headlights) are turning on to late. It takes 2-5 seconds after an approaching car has passed. I think it should turn on immediately when the approaching car is at my side. Is this and issue, or is it possible to adjust?

It has been mentioned already. There is no continuous high beam setting. There is only enforced low beam and auto-low-beam. You can see in the icons on the left side of the screen which setting you have enabled.

The only workaround if you urgently need high beam is to pull the left stalk toward you and hold it, i.e. abuse the headlight flasher.

It has been mentioned already. There is no continuous high beam setting. There is only enforced low beam and auto-low-beam. You can see in the icons on the left side of the screen which setting you have enabled.

The only workaround if you urgently need high beam is to pull the left stalk toward you and hold it, i.e. abuse the headlight flasher.
There is continuous high beam.

With auto high beam active on menu, left stalk push switches between AHB on and off

With auto high beam inactive on menu, left stalk push seitches between HB on and off. This is where you can keep HB permanently on.

Yes, you are right. I had forgotten that menu setting. Sorry for the confusion.

It requires going into the menu though, so you cannot spontaneously change to continuous high beam while driving without diverting some attention. I will ponder the thought of disabling auto-low-beam as long as it does not work well enough.

Yes, you are right. I had forgotten that menu setting. Sorry for the confusion.

It requires going into the menu though, so you cannot spontaneously change to continuous high beam while driving without diverting some attention. I will ponder the thought of disabling auto-low-beam as long as it does not work well enough.

for sure it isn't very intuitive. i had to poke around with it quite a bit until the logic finally clicked.