Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beams no longer works well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This feature worked surprisingly well for about 6 months but now it almost always auto-dims the high beams even with no other cars around. Was this a software change affecting others or is it just me?

I find it strange since it uses the front camera from what I understand and autopilot works just fine.

Reactions: RAW84
I noticed this driving home the other night. It kept the lights on low beam most of the way even though no other cars on a deserted mountain road. Occasionally it would flicker to high beam for a fraction of a second.
It used to work almost perfectly.
I have rebooted recently.

Is this a feature you have to enable? I had this on my last car and liked it but I don't think I've ever seen them come on automatically since I've owned the car.
The feature is actually "auto dimming of high beams". You turn on high beams with the left side stalk and if you've enabled it in the controls, it will automatically dim the high beams for an oncoming car or when you come up behind another car.
It used to work very well, always dimming when appropriate and rarely dimming with false input (such as roadside reflectors).
Now, it really doesn't work at all. It keeps the lights dimmed all the time with only an occasional flicker of high beam.
I do hope they fix it since I have found it to be very useful in the past.

This feature worked surprisingly well for about 6 months but now it almost always auto-dims the high beams even with no other cars around. Was this a software change affecting others or is it just me?

I find it strange since it uses the front camera from what I understand and autopilot works just fine.

I've noticed the same. I live at the end of a dark street next to a lake. In the past (last month) the high beams would come on as soon as I turned onto my street and stay on until I arrived home. Now they flick on for less than a second several time while driving down that same street. One thing I noticed was that there was a full moon and the night sky was relatively bright. I'll have to check whether this has changed now that it is near the new moon.

I have noticed this behavior as well (MS 11/2015): Auto-high beams flicker on briefly, then go back to low for long stretches while on a street where it used to work fine. It's not completely consistent - sometimes it works normally. Rebooting doesn't fix it. I suspect it started in one of the more recent updates, but I can't be sure.

Auto high beams is the one auto feature of the Tesla Model S that I just can't stand. It was constantly either not turning the high beams on in places where it would make sense to, or more often, turning high beams on in inappropriate places, often switching them back off fairly quickly, randomly flashing other drivers and neighborhood houses. It's just terrible. And it's really not needed either. Most of the time the low beams are fine, and it's easy to turn the high beams on and off in the rare times you can actually use them.

I have noticed this behavior as well (MS 11/2015): Auto-high beams flicker on briefly, then go back to low for long stretches while on a street where it used to work fine. It's not completely consistent - sometimes it works normally. Rebooting doesn't fix it. I suspect it started in one of the more recent updates, but I can't be sure.

Same here. Thought I was imagining it.