Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beams no longer works well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to the SC, which didn't know of the problem (which has afflicted several people here in the UK too) and the car's logs didn't show anything. However, the technician suggested cleaning the sensor (a narrow slit in the forward face of the rear-view mirror) with a cotton bud. I did that 2 days ago and since then the lights have worked perfectly. Certainly worth a try.

• Informative
Reactions: xrayvsn
Talked to the SC, which didn't know of the problem (which has afflicted several people here in the UK too) and the car's logs didn't show anything. However, the technician suggested cleaning the sensor (a narrow slit in the forward face of the rear-view mirror) with a cotton bud. I did that 2 days ago and since then the lights have worked perfectly. Certainly worth a try.

I am having the same issue. While it seemed that this function worked perfectly for me even about a month ago, now the headlights will mostly stay in low beams, and switch into high beams occasionally and sometimes only briefly. I had read elsewhere that it could be the sensor, which I had cleaned. However, I did not use a cotton swabs, but I will try that to see if it helps. I thought this was related to a recent software update, where they had just changed the sensitivity, and it may be since so many others seem to indicate a similar issue. I had my local SC check it out and they drove it at night and did not see what I was talking about. I'm not sure if they checked the logs, but they updated to the latest firmware. So last night I shot a video to show them how it was behaving. It was doing a little better about staying on high beams until I came up behind another car, and passed it. Then the low beams stayed on for a while, even though there were no other vehicles on the road.

Well, it started not to work reliably again. One of the UK technicians has been looking at this for me for some days. I told him the times of various journeys and experiments I had done and he looked at the car's logs but could find nothing untoward. He is working with his counterparts in the US, but they have not so far found an obvious cause. The difficulty is that the fault is intermittent, even on the same car; ours, for instance, was bad for some days, then became OK and then failed again. Cleaning the slit in the back of the mirror did seem to help but that might have been coincidence (though I see that it has helped others too). The other factor is that one of the cameras is also involved in this. The one thing the techs do seem sure of is that the problem is not related to firmware/software but ...... Several people wonder whether a software update made the sensor too sensitive so I will do a test for that.

If it's just the one sensor and not also the camera, perhaps you could try a piece of tinted plastic. Or even cover the sensor entirely and see if the high beams will turn on.
I've tried covering it (and the camera) but it makes no difference. Please do (everyone) report this; the more people who do so, the more attention it will get (perhaps).

It would be interesting to know whether any of the later 2.17 or the 2.18 firmware releases have made any difference to this.

Yep, they refuse to go high lots of times. I disabled auto because it was so annoying. It used to be sluggish to go high every once in a while, but now it's most times. I live in a rural area with no street lights, no driveway lights. There should be nothing fooling it into thinking there are other vehicles around.

Quite frankly, while I'm sure few others would agree, I think it is best to use high beams very conservatively, and wish there was an option for auto-off only (manual on). Today's low beams are as bright as high beams were 10 or so years ago, so really you don't even need the high beams, but it's still nice on the rare occasion you find yourself alone on a highway.

Quite frankly, while I'm sure few others would agree, I think it is best to use high beams very conservatively, and wish there was an option for auto-off only (manual on). Today's low beams are as bright as high beams were 10 or so years ago, so really you don't even need the high beams, but it's still nice on the rare occasion you find yourself alone on a highway.
it's not about the brightness the high beams are angled to give you a longer lighted view.

I'm having the same problem. My auto high beams have never worked since I got delivery in March 2016. I wish there was a way to report issues like this without having to go to a SC
You can do it from the comfort of your driver's seat.
Initiating the following voice commands will send Tesla Motors a recording of your voice message.

• “Note”
  • “Report”
  • “Bug Report”

You can do it from the comfort of your driver's seat.
Initiating the following voice commands will send Tesla Motors a recording of your voice message.

• “Note”
  • “Report”
  • “Bug Report”
in theory that is one way do it but many feel that those complaints only make it to the bit bucket. I've had somewhat better results calling into the mothership.