Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my auto high beams randomly started working a couple of nights ago. However, they tend to constantly go on and off even when cars are not approaching.

What has been everyone else's experience with this feature? Is this normal?

yep. same here. I drive quite a bit very early in the morning, with very little traffic on the interstate and after 26,000 miles they activate at times that appear random. I just put it into the bucket with the rest of the 1/2 implemented items in the MS and move on. Happy to have the car and LOVE having AP.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Zybd1201
I haven't used mine a ton, but we were driving through rural areas the other night and they worked absolutely perfectly - we were amazed. At one point we were approaching a t-junction with a residential driveway just ahead. The reflectors on the back of the car that was parked in that driveway triggered the high beams to disengage momentarily from a couple hundred feet away. No clue how they do it, but they're good!

Highly sensitized....oncoming cars, reflections, etc. I find them fairly timely or at least haven't noticed anything unusual other than odd reflection triggers from down-lights but they usually recover pretty quickly. I do like the lowering to oncoming traffic....its one thing I try to be careful about and often get too absorbed (in nothingness) to remember quickly enough.

Pretty much mostly some form of overhead light...... street lights, landscaping lights, stadium lights.......heights seem to throw off the sensor and sometimes the downlights are installed at odd angles or grandiose landscaping water features. At least the lights act in unison. :)

On my recent trip they would not turn on automatically at all.

I have them selected to be auto but I could only get them on if I manually turned them on. I guess I will call my service center and see what they suggest. I have a refresh.

Thanks Erik

• Informative
On my recent trip they would not turn on automatically at all.

I have them selected to be auto but I could only get them on if I manually turned them on. I guess I will call my service center and see what they suggest. I have a refresh.

Thanks Erik
It has to be almost complete dark for the car to auto activate the high beams. I had them activated on my loaner and worked perfectly. If it detects any source of light it will shut automatically.

It has to be almost complete dark for the car to auto activate the high beams. I had them activated on my loaner and worked perfectly. If it detects any source of light it will shut automatically.

Yes, I am aware. The road I was on was completely dark. When I traveled the same road in my Ford fusion hybrid it would turn on and then off when a car was approaching. I will call the service center to see if they have any ideas.

I'm certainly not complaining about it. Just a little quirk I have noticed. It shouldn't be a very complicated fix.

Thanks Erik

Here is the description of the Autopilot package directly from Tesla:
Autopilot Convenience Features add
  • Automatic steering and summon
  • Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Automatic lane centering and changing
  • Parking space detection
  • Self parallel parking
  • Automatic high/low beam headlights

Personally it would make more sense to have the auto high/low beams in the premium package to me. I do have autopilot, but still no high beams. I need to make time to call them or stop by. Maybe 8.0 will fix it!?!?!

Thanks Erik

I do know that there are /were some software issues around the DRL's in Australia, in that only the lower half lit up in some cars, not all. This was being worked on in California. Our DRL's are permanently lit and we have no Independant control of them. Maybe the same ( software issues) applies to the auto high beams.
In my 2014 sig with full autopilot mine work exceptionally well, except in two peculiar circumstances. At dusk in a national park with plenty of ambient daylight but no direct sun, my headlights will come on and also the high beams. Neither can actually be seen from the car since there is too much daylight remaining, and the other is in my 300 yard long pitch dark driveway, my headlights are on but the high beams take about 50% of the length of the driveway to come on. Go figure!

One odd thing I've noticed about the auto high beams is that when you pull the stalk to turn them off (back to manual), it flashes the high beams. Anyone know if there is a way around this? Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong?

One odd thing I've noticed about the auto high beams is that when you pull the stalk to turn them off (back to manual), it flashes the high beams. Anyone know if there is a way around this? Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong?
I think you are just pulling the stalk too far towards you. When it is in the low beam position, pulling the stalk towards you turns on the high beams until you release the stalk.

Reactions: Saghost