Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my recent trip they would not turn on automatically at all.

I have them selected to be auto but I could only get them on if I manually turned them on. I guess I will call my service center and see what they suggest. I have a refresh.

Thanks Erik
The headlights automatically DIM when set to auto. That is, when you have the stalk pushed forward to the high beam position, they will autmtically switch to low beam when a car is coming. They do NOT automatically go to high beam when you have the stalk pulls towards you for the low beam setting.

• Informative
Reactions: DÆrik
The real question is why does the stalk have to be forward...it should allow for auto high beams in the closer position. In fact, some cars have the forward position as a momentary contact that springs back into the normal place. (High beam function latches on/ off). Tesla has an odd combination of awesome new tech, and poorly carried over design from 20+ years ago. Software fix could correct it tomorrow!

Reactions: alexdav
The real question is why does the stalk have to be forward...it should allow for auto high beams in the closer position. In fact, some cars have the forward position as a momentary contact that springs back into the normal place. (High beam function latches on/ off). Tesla has an odd combination of awesome new tech, and poorly carried over design from 20+ years ago. Software fix could correct it tomorrow!

I'd love to see this. That's the main reason I don't run with auto-highbeams -- because it makes the turn stalk feel weird when it's that far back.

Reactions: bradhs
One odd thing I've noticed about the auto high beams is that when you pull the stalk to turn them off (back to manual), it flashes the high beams. Anyone know if there is a way around this? Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong?

As thimel was saying, the stalk has three positions in that axis - forward, which is auto-high beams and stays activated until moved, a middle position for low beams, and a spring loaded flash to pass toggle that will flash the high beams regardless of the auto high computer input. As soon as you release it after pulling, it goes back to the middle position.

The headlights automatically DIM when set to auto. That is, when you have the stalk pushed forward to the high beam position, they will autmtically switch to low beam when a car is coming. They do NOT automatically go to high beam when you have the stalk pulls towards you for the low beam setting.

I will have to try this out. I know I accidentally switched my high beams on during the day. I was inside the car so I am unsure if they were actually on though.

So do you leave yours forward all the time or do you just push it forward when night driving?

Thanks Erik

I will have to try this out. I know I accidentally switched my high beams on during the day. I was inside the car so I am unsure if they were actually on though.

So do you leave yours forward all the time or do you just push it forward when night driving?

Thanks Erik

I leave mine forward at all times. Which takes getting used to because the stalk is in a different position when you go to activate the turn signal.

So, make sure the Auto High Beam is turned on in the Settings then when you push the stalk forward it is in Auto Mode. You'll know it's in Auto Mode if a little grey high beam indicator lights up on the instrument cluster. If it ever starts "acting up" in Auto mode you can quickly pull the stalk back towards you and not blind someone.

Mike

Thanks Erik
I only push it forward when I am driving in a dark area without street lights. This is a small fraction of my might time driving. I'm mostly on the freeway or suburban streets where night beams aren't useful.

As thimel was saying, the stalk has three positions in that axis - forward, which is auto-high beams and stays activated until moved, a middle position for low beams, and a spring loaded flash to pass toggle that will flash the high beams regardless of the auto high computer input. As soon as you release it after pulling, it goes back to the middle position.

Seems like this was the issue; I think I was pulling the stalk too far back. Thanks for the replies!