Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Highbeams Improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that the auto high beams have significantly improved with the latest update? My lights would blind people before they dipped down to low beam but it seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate now after the update. It's transitioning to low beam well before a car is in front of me or next to me when there is oncoming traffic. Very happy to see this change.

My only issue with the auto high beams is that it cannot be overridden. Just after sundown, when it’s dark enough that I need to turn on the high beams but apparently enough light to affect the car, I can’t turn on the highs unless I turn off the auto high beams. I can momentarily blink the highs by pulling the stalk toward me, but pushing it away does nothing, so I have to disable auto high beams at sundown to put the lights on high. Just received the latest update today, haven’t tried it yet to see if it helps.

My issue is when oncoming traffic goes over bumps or something and their lights “flash” a little auto high beams will turn off and then a second or two later turn on and then the car is close enough that they’ll turn off. I figure I look like a moron flashing my highs in no discernible pattern. Leaving them on too long to actually be flashing in the sense of “please turn your lights on/highs off” because they’ll be on for a two or three seconds solid and probably blinding them, but not long enough to be like “oh, maybe he’s looking for a street sign or something and needed more light..”

I’ve tried using them on divided highways (interstates) thinking they would just remain off when a pack of cars came by but then would flash on again for the two or three minutes before another pack of cars go by... but instead if there are five or six cars coming they’ll flash on and off five or six times in like a 20 to 30 second period because those cars are JUST far enough apart that the system thinks it can switch back to highs...

There needs to be a third setting where they’ll be activated if they see like 30+ seconds of no cars or something. Likely to turn on when on coming traffic is very light or spread out, but stay off when it’s a steady stream of cars every 5 to 10 seconds between each other...

Reactions: Radpeds1
That is very interesting because I don't seem to have a problem at all. The auto high beams seem dip to low beam and high beam reliably now even with oncoming traffic. My previous Audi's and BMW's have done better when coming around a turn but before the update, they were very late to react. I'm very interested to know if anyone else has seen improved behavior.

Has anyone else noticed that the auto high beams have significantly improved with the latest update? My lights would blind people before they dipped down to low beam but it seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate now after the update. It's transitioning to low beam well before a car is in front of me or next to me when there is oncoming traffic. Very happy to see this change.

Yes, to be honest, I noticed it working only after this update.

I have no problem with my highbeams turning off so as not to blind oncoming drivers.my problem is I would like to adjust the sensitivity so that my highbeams come on even though I have street lighting I would like to be able to see if there is a deer running across the road because where I live we have many especially this time of year. Does anyone know if we are able to adjust the sensitivity of the high beams