Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 7.1 update earlier today (pre-AP car) and messed with the auto homelink function as I really wanted it to work. It did for me once, on arrival. But the next 10 times it didnt. It never worked on departure.

When things didnt work I tried resetting the homelink position in a few different places on the driveway but it didnt help. What was odd is I set the position and the homelink icon went green indicating I was near the location then I drove away (down the street 1/2 mile) and back and it stayed white (didnt recognize location). In the past it always went green when close to the door. Its like the location-awareness of homelink got worse in the 7.1 update.

What could possibly be a contributing factor is I have 3 doors programmed and they're all on the same garage (3 car garage) so I can open/close any of the 3 doors. I only have 1 set to auto open/close though. I tried moving the location of the other 2 away from the Tesla one to see if that helped but it didnt seem to.

Anyone else having trouble or any ideas on this?

Mine worked fine once I realized I needed to use the homelink button to first open the garage door before backing out. It then immediately started to distance countdown and closed. Upon returning the garage also opened with a 20 countdown as well. It makes me just that much more lazy in the car but I dig it.

Looks like they broke the homelink geolocation feature.

Yesterday, it tried to auto open my garage door from half a block away - which is out of range of the opener.

I have two garage doors - one opener set for auto open/close and the other isn't.

Before 7.1, a pop-up would be displayed listing both openers when near the house. Now neither is displayed.

Looks like another bug was missed during Tesla's limited testing of 7.1. They really should expand their testing community - and allow more owner to "opt in" for testing, to help them catch more of these bugs before the software is distributed. Not everyone's going to be as forgiving on these bugs as the early adopters...

It worked for me when I returned home today so thats 2 out of 11 for auto open. Auto close is 100% fail rate. If there are some rules around it (like you have to lock your car in between so it knows some state) I really wish they'd tell us.

I don't have AP but if I did I doubt i'd use summon -- there's the whole cable thing and my garage is tight and the car is $100k. But the auto open/close is really cool/nice if it can work.

For various reasons I have now used this quite a few times and after playing with the setup have 100% success.

What worked for me is the following:

1. Remember the HOMELINK beam appears to be quite narrow but is also reasonably long range. If close to the door/gate when you trigger he car needs to be pretty much pointing at it unless there is a suitable reflecting surface.

2. Move the car to the furthest sensible position from which it will operate the door/gate at rest. This maximises the beam's spread so desensitises the directionality a little

3. Reset the position on the car's HOMELINK menu for that device to be at position

Then it worked every time for me.

Could directionality be the problem for many of us with Auto-Close? I live in the 'burbs and have a large circular driveway so I back out of my garage and then usually drive forward around the circle to exit. So my car is not pointing towards my garage once I get a few feet away from the garage - like the point when I would expect Auto-Close to trigger. Occasionally if someone is parked in the circle I have to back farther out so it may work a bit better in that instance but it sounds like I can't trust it.

For those having problem with Auto Close - is your car point towards or away from the garage at the point you would expect it to trigger?

It worked for me when I returned home today so thats 2 out of 11 for auto open. Auto close is 100% fail rate. If there are some rules around it (like you have to lock your car in between so it knows some state) I really wish they'd tell us.

I don't have AP but if I did I doubt i'd use summon -- there's the whole cable thing and my garage is tight and the car is $100k. But the auto open/close is really cool/nice if it can work.

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but I've already forgotten where. For me, auto open/close won't trigger a second time unless the car has shut off. So if I get home and auto-open occurs, I can't just then I mmediately pull out the garage and it auto-closes. I have to get out of the car, close the doors, then get back in the car and it will enable auto-close when I hit the brake (Homelink was showing, but no auto-close text until I hit the brake). Similarly, if I leave and go down the street, auto-close triggers but auto-open won't I get out of the car, close the doors, and then get back in and head home.

Could directionality be the problem for many of us with Auto-Close? I live in the 'burbs and have a large circular driveway so I back out of my garage and then usually drive forward around the circle to exit. So my car is not pointing towards my garage once I get a few feet away from the garage - like the point when I would expect Auto-Close to trigger. Occasionally if someone is parked in the circle I have to back farther out so it may work a bit better in that instance but it sounds like I can't trust it.

For those having problem with Auto Close - is your car point towards or away from the garage at the point you would expect it to trigger?

I pull in towards the garage and it triggers as I swing around then back in. When I leave I just pull out and go. Even if it was direction/signal issue it doesn't try (by showing on the UI) to change the door state. It should at least try even if the signal is pointing the wrong way. Also if I do it by hand it works every time so the signal could work if it wanted to.

This is, thus far, my favorite new feature in 7.1. The auto park/summons features are 'cool' but I'd never use them outside of demo. (Well, I would use the summons sometimes if the entry into my garage was flat...but it's not.)

Thus, I'm glad this auto open/close has worked flawlessly for me. I'm in position to see it close before I leave my driveway, so there's no anxiety of wondering if it closed. Thus far it's helped remove the anxiety I used to have wondering if I remembered to close it.

Mine was having a weird issue today after the 7.1 update as well. Couple of days ago I had added the other garage door and both doors worked fine. Then this morning my tesla garage door wouldn't respond and the auto open decided to open the other door (which is def not set to be used for auto). I had a heck of a time reprogramming my existing door (had to do the open frunk method and then it took right away) and I deleted the other garage door as I don't really need to be able to open that one. Was just annoying this morning but hopefully its worked out now. I may try re-adding the other door and see if its better this time.