Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting back to the original problem with auto home link. I still cannot get my garage door or gate to close when leaving, tried everything suggested on this thread. It will open the gate when leaving and open both the gate and garage door when arriving but will not close either when leaving. Reset location and tired opening the garage door from the car when in the garage. Not sure what to try at this point.

You didn't mention this but just to confirm, your car was off and in park when you opened the gate/garage before leaving correct? You only get the text/dialogue after turning on the car and putting it Reverse or Drive.

Getting back to the original problem with auto home link. I still cannot get my garage door or gate to close when leaving, tried everything suggested on this thread. It will open the gate when leaving and open both the gate and garage door when arriving but will not close either when leaving. Reset location and tired opening the garage door from the car when in the garage. Not sure what to try at this point.
Not quite a scientific approach, but I've found that if I get in the car and then hit the brake and reverse at almost the same time, I'm probably not going to get the auto-close dropdown. If I get in, touch the brake, then put on my seatbelt, sort out my phone and generally dilly-dally for a short moment, I will get the dropdown when I finally select reverse.

Now that I think I've seen a correlation, I'll watch this more closely.

I'm having zero luck with auto-close. Here's what I'm seeing and what I've done:

1. Auto-open works every time!
  2. Auto-close never works
  3. I get into the car, turn it on and put it into reverse. Garage symbol is green, the "HOME" button displays automatically, but there is no countdown. *update* Garage door opened by using the wall switch.
  4. I can press the HOME button at any time after pulling out of the garage and it closes. So there is no issue with the garage opener, range, or anything like that. The car just refuses to send the signal.
  5. I have reset the location inside the garage, and in several spots on the driveway. Makes no difference.
  6. I have reset the location while on WIFI and while not on WIFI. No difference.
  7. I've also reset the location after coming back from a drive to make sure GPS was connected. No difference.
  8. The NAV map shows the correct location of the car. The phone app shows the correct address while parked in the garage. The car knows it's home, yet won't display the auto-close countdown.
  9. Yes, I have selected "auto-close" in the home link settings.

Anyone have any ideas? This is annoying me. I can't figure out why it's not working.

Last edited:
You didn't mention this but just to confirm, your car was off and in park when you opened the gate/garage before leaving correct? You only get the text/dialogue after turning on the car and putting it Reverse or Drive.
No, I pressed the brake and then opened the garage door from the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having zero luck with auto-close. Here's what I'm seeing and what I've done:

3. I get into the car, turn it on and put it into reverse. Garage symbol is green, the "HOME" button displays automatically, but there is no countdown.
  4. I can press the HOME button at any time after pulling out of the garage and it closes. So there is no issue with the garage opener, range, or anything like that. The car just refuses to send the signal.
  5. I have reset the location inside the garage, and in several spots on the driveway. Makes no difference.
  6. I have reset the location while on WIFI and while not on WIFI. No difference.
  7. I've also reset the location after coming back from a drive to make sure GPS was connected. No difference.
  8. The NAV map shows the correct location of the car. The phone app shows the correct address while parked in the garage. The car knows it's home, yet won't display the auto-close countdown.

Anyone have any ideas? This is annoying me. I can't figure out why it's not working.
Same here.

3. I get into the car, turn it on and put it into reverse. Garage symbol is green, the "HOME" button displays automatically, but there is no countdown.

In your #3, you left out how you open the garage door- Wall button or Tesla screen? For me auto-close works if I open the door with the wall button, but it doesn't work if I open it with the Tesla screen.

No, I pressed the brake and then opened the garage door from the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here.

That's the issue. Try opening the garage from either the wall button or Homelink on your car BEFORE you press the brake. When you press your brake shift into reverse or drive (depending on whether you park nose in or backed in) then leave the garage.

A couple days ago I reported my first success at auto-close by first opening the garage door using the wall switch before entering the car, pressing on the brake and then putting it into reverse. (yes, I press the brake several seconds before putting the car in reverse). However, even though I now follow that same routine, I cannot get auto-close to reliably work again - I've got auto-close to work again once or twice out of maybe twenty attempts since then. Meanwhile auto-open always works.
So basically I'm convinced it's just randomly flakey. (or maybe you have to wave a rubber chicken before getting in the car for it to work?)
Otherwise my experience matches zwede's comments above.

A couple days ago I reported my first success at auto-close by first opening the garage door using the wall switch before entering the car, pressing on the brake and then putting it into reverse. (yes, I press the brake several seconds before putting the car in reverse). However, even though I now follow that same routine, I cannot get auto-close to reliably work again - I've got auto-close to work again once or twice out of maybe twenty attempts since then. Meanwhile auto-open always works.
So basically I'm convinced it's just randomly flakey. (or maybe you have to wave a rubber chicken before getting in the car for it to work?)
Otherwise my experience matches zwede's comments above.

Do you have your car setup to connect to your home's wifi? I don't know what else to say. It worked flawlessly for me every time.

From another thread... Maybe this plays a role? I have 3 Homelinks in my car and 3 driver profiles, but it has only been on my profile the entire time I've had 7.1.

Was having intermittent success with the garage 'auto open and close' feature. But then discovered that it is 'Profile' connected. After adding to the other profile, it has worked fine.

Do you have your car setup to connect to your home's wifi? I don't know what else to say. It worked flawlessly for me every time.

From another thread... Maybe this plays a role? I have 3 Homelinks in my car and 3 driver profiles, but it has only been on my profile the entire time I've had 7.1.
yes, I have it connected to my home wifi. I did try turning the wifi off, it didn't seem to make a difference. However I later noticed that the car automatically turns wifi back on when you put it in drive so that probably didn't prove anything.
are you suggesting NOT being connected to wifi might help?

on the other point about profiles, I hadn't seen that. perhaps I'll try creating a new profile and see if that makes a difference. thx

In terms of Homelink, often I have had to hit the button several times to get the opener to operate. This has nothing to do with the Tesla - my other remotes have the same problems. Auto open/close doesn't actually know if the signal actuated the door... if your opener works right, it will do so. When my opener acts right (operates with a single attempt), the Tesla properly actuates the door operation. Except for the Homelink anomaly, mine works perfectly.
Here's what I did to make it right:
I started at the end of my driveway and setup the connection. This way, the whole opening process actually happens at the end of my driveway, where it should happen. By the time I drive up the 75' drive... the door is already opening. It uses the GPS coordinate of my driveway apron for the "auto-open" operation.

Regarding the "close" operation... that is automatically determined by the start point of the car, parked in your garage. You get in the car, hit the Homelink button to open the door, and put the car in reverse. Right then, the car should start the 20' countdown to auto-close. GPS position for this is irrelevant. It knows you a) started the car b) opened the garage door c) are backing out of the garage so it starts the countdown.

Hope this helps.

When I had my first Garmin Nav long time ago, I always need to come out in the open before the GPS is pick-up. When S does not have your geolocation before you leave, it will have a hard time starting the auto-close. This might be the reason why it works for some and not for others. To verify that your S is getting GPS while inside your garage, can you see your geolocation from your Tesla APP on tablet or iphone?

I am hoping that S remembers your last location when you park and store it as your garage location without seeking GPS again in the morning. If that assumption is correct, maybe try resetting the location when you are in the clear for GPS (not inside a structure). To minimize variables, try using only the wall switch to open the garage.

yes, I have it connected to my home wifi. I did try turning the wifi off, it didn't seem to make a difference. However I later noticed that the car automatically turns wifi back on when you put it in drive so that probably didn't prove anything.
are you suggesting NOT being connected to wifi might help?

on the other point about profiles, I hadn't seen that. perhaps I'll try creating a new profile and see if that makes a difference. thx

I posted upthread that I think the car uses wifi to help it lock onto the GPS coordinates (or provide a substitute location until a GPS lock occurs). The only time I had auto-close issues was when I deleted my wifi entry from the car. In those few days, auto-close worked haphazardly and once my "Visited Chargers" showed me plugging in a couple doors down rather than my house. Since adding the wifi back (and prior to my temporary deletion) auto-close has worked flawlessly.

- - - Updated - - -

When I had my first Garmin Nav long time ago, I always need to come out in the open before the GPS is pick-up. When S does not have your geolocation before you leave, it will have a hard time starting the auto-close. This might be the reason why it works for some and not for others. To verify that your S is getting GPS while inside your garage, can you see your geolocation from your Tesla APP on tablet or iphone?

I am hoping that S remembers your last location when you park and store it as your garage location without seeking GPS again in the morning. If that assumption is correct, maybe try resetting the location when you are in the clear for GPS (not inside a structure). To minimize variables, try using only the wall switch to open the garage.

On 6.2, the car definitely didn't always remember its last position. There were times when I would open the app at friend's houses to warm up/cool down the car and I would look at the GPS marker. I would watch and see it move around a bit. While I think the car should bias the last known location, I'm not convinced it does.

I posted upthread that I think the car uses wifi to help it lock onto the GPS coordinates (or provide a substitute location until a GPS lock occurs). The only time I had auto-close issues was when I deleted my wifi entry from the car. In those few days, auto-close worked haphazardly and once my "Visited Chargers" showed me plugging in a couple doors down rather than my house. Since adding the wifi back (and prior to my temporary deletion) auto-close has worked flawlessly.

I have issues with auto-close and I do have wifi connected.

Having said that, I believe you are misunderstanding how AGPS works. The wifi antenna simply has to be enabled so that it scans for available networks. It need not be connected. What your iphone does is it uploads the MAC addresses of the nearby wifi networks even if it is not connected to wifi. The server receives this upload and matches the known locations for those APs and triangulates your position. This is especially useful in dense cities where GPS coverage may be hindered. Thus, I am skeptical that have the wifi connected to your home network provides useful location data by itself.

I didn't see anything to indicate Tesla was using wifi for location services. I know this because yesterday for some reason the GPS lock was WAY off. Like probably a thousand feet. Therefore neither the auto-open or auto-close triggered. The car logged into wifi and the location did not change. In fact it took about of minute of driving to get the GPS back on track this morning.