TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Homelink issues?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tliving, Jan 9, 2016.

1. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I believe this function uses the GPS to know where the car is and when to send the signal.

I have had days where somehow the satellite lock is not correct and it shows me charging a few houses (or sometimes streets) away.

Could this possibly have an affect on how well this is working for some people?

As a point of note, it has worked well for me except when I needed to wait for people to get in the car before leaving the garage. There is likely a timeout on the leaving function.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

At my house, I have to pull out the garage and wait in the driveway for passengers to get in since the space for the passenger door to open is tight inside the garage. So yesterday we were heading to a friend's house when they stopped to grab something from the outside fridge and auto-close activated. Saw them darting to get out lol. I will have to remember to press the skip button next time!

3. tgp1019

tgp1019 Member

#23 tgp1019, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I tried yesterday to program auto open/close, car never flashed the headlight. Today I decided to replace the garage door opener battery and gave it a shot, it worked, car received the signal, flashed the light. Auto open worked, auto close didn't.

Does homelink appear on phone app. for classic S?

4. ken830

ken830 Model S 85, Model 3 Performance

No. Does it on the newer cars?

5. tgp1019

tgp1019 Member

[​IMG]
    I believe so. Someone posted this image in this forum.
    [​IMG]

6. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

Here it is, top right corner:
    IMG_0730.PNG

At least for me, the button is hit or miss; just like the entire auto close feature.

7. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

How did you open the garage door prior to leaving, with Homelink or physical button on garage wall?

- - - Updated - - -

You've simply got to stop this pattern of stealing power from your neighbors. :)

8. electrish

That's my problem with the feature: When you leave, you cannot open the garage door with the Homelink button without seemingly canceling the auto close function at the same time.

A nice addition to the Homelink feature would be if the garage door automatically opens when you put the car in reverse and approach the door, just like Summon does!

9. tgp1019

tgp1019 Member

I have the same issue like Kevincwelch has. I open the garage door with Homelink prior to leaving. Auto- close doesn't work for me. When I come back home the garage door was open and started to close as I approach the driveway.

10. electrish

I also open the garage door with Homelink from within the car and in 7.1 it will now cancel the auto close function if you do that. It says (skip) on the Homelink button. Does your's not say that?

11. tgp1019

tgp1019 Member

It does say skip on Homelink button.

12. electrish

#32 electrish, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    That disables ("skips") the auto close feature.
    Open your garage door with your wall switch and auto close should work!
    However, you may have to go through one open-and-close cycle to reset the function.

13. tgp1019

tgp1019 Member

Ok, Thanks. I will try that cycle.

14. 7racer

7racer Member

I have this same problem but read thru the posts...will give it a day to get farther away and back and see what happens

15. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I've never seen autoclose work, it doesn't count down. Autoopen works and I'm only using the homelink button to open. So it seems to be just broken.

16. Cyclone

#36 Cyclone, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Searching the interwebs, it should count down like this.

17. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

#37 AWDtsla, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Nope. He doesn't have in the video how he opened the door though.

18. Cyclone

Maybe it is the first part that is causing the problem? For me, Auto-Close does NOT work if I open the garage door with Homelink. So every time the car "turns on", it will either Auto-Open or Auto-Close, not both (for me at least). After each, it will not trigger again until I get out of the car and close the doors so the screens turn off. Then when I get back in, I can again Auto-Open or Auto-Close.

Beyond this scenario, the only time auto-open/close hasn't worked for me is when the GPS is lost. This morning on the way home when I forgot my laptop, the Homelink didn't drop down automatically and when I did it manually, it wasn't green. In that case, I wouldn't expect auto-open to trigger.

19. dalamchops

dalamchops Member

I get the countdown for auto close (20ft), but the green disappears as i drive down the driveway and have to manually close it.

20. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

Both open and close have been working well for me, although I've only had the occasion to use it a couple of times so far. It auto opens for me each time I'm about to pull into my driveway and auto closes for me every time I back out, before I'm fully backed out of my driveway (which is only a few car lengths long). It actually caught me by surprise the first time it opened because I've always had bad range on homelink and have always waited until I was almost right in front of the door to activate it. Somehow, it's activating from the street now and actually opening the door every time, so far. When I leave my house, I open the garage door with the opener on the wall, so haven't had an issue with the auto close.