Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe this function uses the GPS to know where the car is and when to send the signal.

I have had days where somehow the satellite lock is not correct and it shows me charging a few houses (or sometimes streets) away.

Could this possibly have an affect on how well this is working for some people?

As a point of note, it has worked well for me except when I needed to wait for people to get in the car before leaving the garage. There is likely a timeout on the leaving function.

At my house, I have to pull out the garage and wait in the driveway for passengers to get in since the space for the passenger door to open is tight inside the garage. So yesterday we were heading to a friend's house when they stopped to grab something from the outside fridge and auto-close activated. Saw them darting to get out lol. I will have to remember to press the skip button next time!

I tried yesterday to program auto open/close, car never flashed the headlight. Today I decided to replace the garage door opener battery and gave it a shot, it worked, car received the signal, flashed the light. Auto open worked, auto close didn't.

Does homelink appear on phone app. for classic S?

Last edited:
No. Does it on the newer cars?
imagejpeg

I believe so. Someone posted this image in this forum.
imagejpeg

Mine worked twice for approaching the garage, but it failed both times when leaving the garage.

How did you open the garage door prior to leaving, with Homelink or physical button on garage wall?

- - - Updated - - -

I believe this function uses the GPS to know where the car is and when to send the signal.

I have had days where somehow the satellite lock is not correct and it shows me charging a few houses (or sometimes streets) away.

You've simply got to stop this pattern of stealing power from your neighbors. :)

That's my problem with the feature: When you leave, you cannot open the garage door with the Homelink button without seemingly canceling the auto close function at the same time.

A nice addition to the Homelink feature would be if the garage door automatically opens when you put the car in reverse and approach the door, just like Summon does!

I have the same issue like Kevincwelch has. I open the garage door with Homelink prior to leaving. Auto- close doesn't work for me. When I came back home the garage door was open and started to close as I approach the driveway.

I also open the garage door with Homelink from within the car and in 7.1 it will now cancel the auto close function if you do that. It says (skip) on the Homelink button. Does your's not say that?

Looks like they broke the homelink geolocation feature.

Yesterday, it tried to auto open my garage door from half a block away - which is out of range of the opener.

I have two garage doors - one opener set for auto open/close and the other isn't.

Before 7.1, a pop-up would be displayed listing both openers when near the house. Now neither is displayed.

Looks like another bug was missed during Tesla's limited testing of 7.1. They really should expand their testing community - and allow more owner to "opt in" for testing, to help them catch more of these bugs before the software is distributed. Not everyone's going to be as forgiving on these bugs as the early adopters...

I have this same problem but read thru the posts...will give it a day to get farther away and back and see what happens

I'm only using the homelink button to open. So it seems to be just broken.
Nope. He doesn't have in the video how he opened the door though.

Maybe it is the first part that is causing the problem? For me, Auto-Close does NOT work if I open the garage door with Homelink. So every time the car "turns on", it will either Auto-Open or Auto-Close, not both (for me at least). After each, it will not trigger again until I get out of the car and close the doors so the screens turn off. Then when I get back in, I can again Auto-Open or Auto-Close.

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but I've already forgotten where. For me, auto open/close won't trigger a second time unless the car has shut off. So if I get home and auto-open occurs, I can't just then I mmediately pull out the garage and it auto-closes. I have to get out of the car, close the doors, then get back in the car and it will enable auto-close when I hit the brake (Homelink was showing, but no auto-close text until I hit the brake). Similarly, if I leave and go down the street, auto-close triggers but auto-open won't I get out of the car, close the doors, and then get back in and head home.

Beyond this scenario, the only time auto-open/close hasn't worked for me is when the GPS is lost. This morning on the way home when I forgot my laptop, the Homelink didn't drop down automatically and when I did it manually, it wasn't green. In that case, I wouldn't expect auto-open to trigger.

Both open and close have been working well for me, although I've only had the occasion to use it a couple of times so far. It auto opens for me each time I'm about to pull into my driveway and auto closes for me every time I back out, before I'm fully backed out of my driveway (which is only a few car lengths long). It actually caught me by surprise the first time it opened because I've always had bad range on homelink and have always waited until I was almost right in front of the door to activate it. Somehow, it's activating from the street now and actually opening the door every time, so far. When I leave my house, I open the garage door with the opener on the wall, so haven't had an issue with the auto close.