Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was that to have the information from the MyQ system as to whether or not the door was open or not would probably require that Tesla pay for the rights to integrate somehow with MyQ. You responded to that post by saying MyQ could handle Homelink commands, so Tesla would not have to pay. I pointed out the irrelevancy of being able to handle Homelink commands with respect to knowing if a door was open or not, at which point you then wrote the above.

You don't have to pay. They have a public API. Plugs into other services, no charge. Wink, for example.

It's not a different question at all. It's what my original comment was in response to, and you then responded to that.

The original statement is below:

My point was that to have the information from the MyQ system as to whether or not the door was open or not would probably require that Tesla pay for the rights to integrate somehow with MyQ. You responded to that post by saying MyQ could handle Homelink commands, so Tesla would not have to pay. I pointed out the irrelevancy of being able to handle Homelink commands with respect to knowing if a door was open or not, at which point you then wrote the above.

I was responding to *your* comment:

"I could be wrong, but wouldn't Tesla have to pay Liftmaster for the rights to incorporate anything involving MyQ? My guess is that if that's the case, it just isn't / wouldn't be worth it to Tesla."

They wouldn't have to pay Liftmaster to use *anything* that is part of MyQ such as leveraging the open/close signals but I don't know if they would be allowed to query status without permission. Would be great if they allowed it. Might mean more sales for Liftmaster if they did.

I was responding to *your* comment:

"I could be wrong, but wouldn't Tesla have to pay Liftmaster for the rights to incorporate anything involving MyQ? My guess is that if that's the case, it just isn't / wouldn't be worth it to Tesla."

They wouldn't have to pay Liftmaster to use *anything* that is part of MyQ such as leveraging the open/close signals but I don't know if they would be allowed to query status without permission. Would be great if they allowed it. Might mean more sales for Liftmaster if they did.

The comment you responded to included the quote of the original comment, which involved using MyQ to tell whether or not a garage door was open.

Obviously any Liftmaster door can be opened and closed using Homelink. The wireless technology to control the door itself is not in any way proprietary. When I wrote "anything involving MyQ" that was obviously referring to the MyQ capabilities over and above the basic abilities of opening and closing a garage door via the standard methods.

As AWDtsla points out, as it turns out it is a public API, so apparently Tesla would not have to pay, and I was mistaken from the start, but all that is besides the point! :)

As AWDtsla points out, as it turns out it is a public API, so apparently Tesla would not have to pay, and I was mistaken from the start, but all that is besides the point! :)

I think Tesla will just wait until they announce the Falcon Wing Garage Door.. it'll probably be announced with the Model 3, along with all of those other things people are speculating. :rolleyes:

The comment you responded to included the quote of the original comment, which involved using MyQ to tell whether or not a garage door was open.

Obviously any Liftmaster door can be opened and closed using Homelink. The wireless technology to control the door itself is not in any way proprietary. When I wrote "anything involving MyQ" that was obviously referring to the MyQ capabilities over and above the basic abilities of opening and closing a garage door via the standard methods.

Nice try but no :wink:

Nice try but no :wink:

I have no idea what you are trying to say now.

I acknowledge that my original premise turned out to be wrong from the start, because AWDtsla pointed out a fact that I did not know, which is that the MyQ API is public. So Tesla would have access to it if they wanted it, and it would not cost Tesla anything.

But my points about our discussion are completely accurate and valid. The discussion was about specific MyQ features, not about the generic open/close features all garage door openers have that MyQ openers obviously have to have as well. They wouldn't be garage door openers without the ability to open and close a garage door. The discussion was about the specific MyQ features that are available in the Liftmaster app, and apparently via a public API that can indicate the state of the garage door.

Tried it again but ended up turning it back off. For some reason it will always open the door when I arrive but almost never close it when I leave. It already presents the drop-down with the button, so I guess I'll just have to slum it and reach up to tap the screen. :rolleyes:
Always opens on approach but only closes on departure 1 in 10 times. I'm ready for bug fix.

Always opens on approach but only closes on departure 1 in 10 times. I'm ready for bug fix.
I’ve had this problem with my Model S since day one. Now I have a Model X and also have the same problem. I’m thinking maybe it has to do with lack of GPS tracking when in the garage. But I’ve also pulled my car out and sat in front of the garage for a while and still have the problem.

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread so excuse me if it has been discussed already...but mine often times counts the distance up as I get closer and never opens the garage. For example as I pull in my driveway toward my garage, it will say 30' 40' 50'.

Anybody else have this happen? It works correctly about 25% of the time. It always seems to close correctly (automatically).

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread so excuse me if it has been discussed already...but mine often times counts the distance up as I get closer and never opens the garage. For example as I pull in my driveway toward my garage, it will say 30' 40' 50'.

Anybody else have this happen? It works correctly about 25% of the time. It always seems to close correctly (automatically).
That sounds like it has the wrong GPS location for your garage. Try resetting it after making sure your car's position shows accurately on the map.

It should be noted that 8.0 now produces a sound (kind of like the parking chimes) when the homelink signal is transmitted. It took me a few times to understand what the new noise was associated with, but there is now an audible indication (along with the visual indicator) that the signal was sent.

Every time I pull up to my drive from the left side, the garage door opens but immediately stops. I have to click on homelink twice to get it to open all the way. When I pull up from the right side, it opens up on one try. Any idea on what could cause this? I reset the location multiple times and reprogrammed homelink.

Every time I pull up to my drive from the left side, the garage door opens but immediately stops. I have to click on homelink twice to get it to open all the way. When I pull up from the right side, it opens up on one try. Any idea on what could cause this? I reset the location multiple times and reprogrammed homelink.
Mine does the same exact thing but intermittently.