Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tip. I have tried to increase the range of my Chamberlin opener by installing an external antennna outside my garage connected by shielded RG6 coaxial cable. Unfortunately, this resulted in the opposite effect desired with decreased range of my garage remotes and the Tesla Homelink. So it looks like my solution is to try a different garage door opener.

Fundamental issue I believe is the physical location of Tesla's internal MS Homelink transmitter isn't physically placed as optimum as it is in some other vehicles. From my experience, each of my different vehicles (Tesla, BMW, MBZ, multiple Lexus) all had different distances where their internal Homelink would and would not work with my same garage doors. You perhaps already have, but be sure to check other posts in this thread and others here on TMC for ideas how to extend the range of your garage door opener itself (alternatives vary based on your type of opener, but sometimes appear to be as simple as increasing the length of the antenna wire on your garage door opener). Since we can't change the hardware in our MS, perhaps improving your opener's range will improve your situation. It has for some. Good luck.

FWIW... Two updates ago when they introduced the chime option, my auto close when I leave went from working 100% of the time to maybe 10-20% of the time now... Before that, it worked 100% of the time both ways... Still works perfectly coming home...

Jeff

I also noticed getting into the car to leave in the morning no longer pops up the garage menu so i can manually open the door, i have to force the homelink to open the menu so i can do so. Coming home still pops the menu up correctly though.

Reactions: SlyWombat
OK, I haven't seen this reported but I've had it happen numerous times. Has anyone else with multiple Homelink devices seen this - when the auto homelink triggers, it shows the "signal" icon flashing on the wrong Homelink device? I have "House Garage" and "Pool Garage" as well as "Gate". My "House Garage" is on auto-Homelink. My "Pool Garage" is not, but both of them are geolocated very nearby. I will often, but not always, see the "Pool Garage" signal flash as if auto Homelink is opening the wrong door. Thankfully, it doesn't, but it is definitely a bug.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed it.

When I first programmed Auto-Homelink, I never had that problem. Like BertL, I have two single bay doors on a two car garage and I have Auto only on the side my S parks in. This side did not have safety sensors and they couldn't be added. I upgraded this side to a new garage door opened a few months ago. Everything works great, but now I have the bug you see almost every time. Basically, the auto side is the 2nd on my list, and it opens/closes properly, but the icon is on the 1st entry.

When I first programmed Auto-Homelink, I never had that problem. Like BertL, I have two single bay doors on a two car garage and I have Auto only on the side my S parks in. This side did not have safety sensors and they couldn't be added. I upgraded this side to a new garage door opened a few months ago. Everything works great, but now I have the bug you see almost every time. Basically, the auto side is the 2nd on my list, and it opens/closes properly, but the icon is on the 1st entry.
Have you reported it to them? I mentioned it once but keep meaning to take a photo of the screen while it's happening. Haven't done that yet.

After the recent update my homelink stopped working. Works fine for the gate that I drive straight through, but stopped working for my garage that I back up along a driveway to reach. Homelink pops up and says "50 ft" all the way up the driveway, and never opens my garage. Zero problems for an entire year before this, worked 100% every day without a single missed trigger.

2016 90D here.

After the recent update my homelink stopped working. Works fine for the gate that I drive straight through, but stopped working for my garage that I back up along a driveway to reach. Homelink pops up and says "50 ft" all the way up the driveway, and never opens my garage. Zero problems for an entire year before this, worked 100% every day without a single missed trigger.

2016 90D here.
Do you happen to also have one of the Nav issues with your car either not pointing the right way or being further off from your actual location on the display? There must be interplay between Homelink and onboard GPS, so I wonder how much of these sort of issues are Homelink vs onboard GPS or both, or perhaps another symptom of the CID being out of resources and not prioritizing activity well enough like some of us suspect can be an issue with Media Player and especially USB anomolies.

After several "near misses" where the Homelink closes the door just as I'm pulling in to the garage and the door being opened after I've already pulled away from the garage, I've disabled the "auto" functions. My situation living in a townhome is just too perplexing for the Homelink to handle. I pull in via the common back driveway perpendicular to the garage door, then when the door is open, I back into the garage.Leaving, I make a hard left to exit the garage with nose of the car pointed away from the garage door.

It's just too unreliable and one of these days I was concerned I would back the car into a closing door or everything in my garage would be stolen when I came home again. I'd say more than 25% of the time even the manual triggering doesn't work and I have to pull out the remote to open/close the door. Great idea, especially if you can link it to lights and other stuff, but not executed very well.

My dream automation consists of geolocating the incoming car, adjusting the house temperature to wake up from "away" settings, opening the garage door at the appropriate time, unlocking the entrance door, turning on the hallway lights. I've hooked the Ecobees , the Kevos and my Z-wave lights into my Smart Things hub, but they don't trigger automatically based on the location of the car. Silly, I know, but it's just a little a dream of mine.

I've had lots of trouble with Homelink in general lately. I can't say for sure if its' related to a new firmware version. The car used to be able to open our door easily 100% of the time, but now it's very hit or miss. I even installed the chamberlain extension antenna.

I've had lots of trouble with Homelink in general lately. I can't say for sure if its' related to a new firmware version. The car used to be able to open our door easily 100% of the time, but now it's very hit or miss. I even installed the chamberlain extension antenna.

I've been unable to even to program Homelink and get it to control the opener at all. I've repeatedly gone through the training process and the MS says it has successfully completed the steps but it's never actually opened or closed the garage door.

After several "near misses" where the Homelink closes the door just as I'm pulling in to the garage and the door being opened after I've already pulled away from the garage, I've disabled the "auto" functions. My situation living in a townhome is just too perplexing for the Homelink to handle. I pull in via the common back driveway perpendicular to the garage door, then when the door is open, I back into the garage.Leaving, I make a hard left to exit the garage with nose of the car pointed away from the garage door.

It's just too unreliable and one of these days I was concerned I would back the car into a closing door or everything in my garage would be stolen when I came home again. I'd say more than 25% of the time even the manual triggering doesn't work and I have to pull out the remote to open/close the door. Great idea, especially if you can link it to lights and other stuff, but not executed very well.
The implementation is nearly useless, I agree

My dream automation consists of geolocating the incoming car, adjusting the house temperature to wake up from "away" settings, opening the garage door at the appropriate time, unlocking the entrance door, turning on the hallway lights. I've hooked the Ecobees , the Kevos and my Z-wave lights into my Smart Things hub, but they don't trigger automatically based on the location of the car. Silly, I know, but it's just a little a dream of mine.

Homekit+homebridge will let you do these things based on your location. It can even get stateful info back from the garage door so it knows that it's closed.

Eve for Tesla's premium service has ITTT integration which will allow you to do a lot of that stuff already.

Eve for Tesla's premium service has ITTT integration which will allow you to do a lot of that stuff already.

I haven't been able to get the geolocation feature to work on Eve for Tesla yet. I do have a button that shows up on my web browser on the Eve homepage that I can push that initiates all the things mentioned above (garage door opens, house unlocks, Nest thermostat cuts on, etc.). I am also using Smart Things and have Eve connected to IFTTT and that triggers a routine on Smart Things that does what I want.

I have a 2 car deep garage spot and park the car deep in the garage. I had the Homelink set to automatically open the garage door when I back out. It opened the garage door and as I was backing out it thought I was out and started to close the garage door! The door hit my rear trunk and stopped. Made a scratch on my trunk. Not very happy camper! Now I have the Homelink to NOT automatically open or close the garage door. It also didn't always automatically close the garage door either as I was leaving.

I also just disabled our auto open and close, after a near missing pulling the car in to an already-open garage, from just outside of it. Thankfully the garage's sensors triggered. I have full garage control (with state) with our Alarm.com interface, it's a pity this can't be used.

Surely soon enough Autopilot 2 will be able to determine garage door state, it's one of the simplest problems they could face. I guess they already do for Summon, right?

I suppose one could put a second set of garage door sensors at car level to avoid this issue. Most garage door openers will allow you to include a second set. I'd suggest moving the existing sensors up a few feet, but I imagine that marginally increases the risk of injuring a child.