Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Homelink malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto close has resulted in similar issue, not just the OP.

PSA: Backing into garage when the door is already open

Also, beware if you have another Tesla with Auto open/close of garage door enabled. My Model 3 triggered to open our garage door as I approached, not knowing that my wife (driving another Tesla) was about 1 minute away from our house, auto triggered the garage door at 80 ft away....to close (since last action was open) the opened garage door. Luckily I was almost done in slowly parking inside our tight fit garage. Did not hit anything.

Different way to trigger but similar inadvertent closing/opening of the garage door. Not trying to pin blame - just sharing for awareness.
Your wife obviously tried to kill you ;)

??? every modern garage door opener comes with light beam sensors that prevent closing while an object interrupts the beam.

I bet the light beam sensor on OPs garage door was mounted as low as mine. The Model 3 rear end will not interrupt the beam until about the rear tire crosses, in my case about the mud guard.

I might relocate these sensors higher to prevent the same from happening.

20200217_111411.jpg

Last edited:
People just don’t get there are not enough sensors and communication for this to work reliably 100%. That’s why I never use it. I don’t care if it’s worked for you for 5 years flawlessly. It will fail eventually.

It does not know EXACTLY where you are at ANY TIME nor if the door is OPENED or CLOSED (and therefore does not know if it’s sending a close or open command). It makes a bunch of assumptions that will work most of the time.

Reactions: BluestarE3
People just don’t get there are not enough sensors and communication for this to work reliably 100%. That’s why I never use it. I don’t care if it’s worked for you for 5 years flawlessly. It will fail eventually.

It does not know EXACTLY where you are at ANY TIME nor if the door is OPENED or CLOSED (and therefore does not know if it’s sending a close or open command). It makes a bunch of assumptions that will work most of the time.
Or use it and pay attention, just like you would with a button remote.

Reactions: Futuresystem
Or use it and pay attention, just like you would with a button remote.

I’m not just looking at the door the whole time (especially when I’m under it) when it could randomly fire at any time. I can’t even see the door if I’m backing in (side mirrors tipped down, restricted view in rear view mirror, I’d more likely hear it).

When I use the button I know when it’s pushed. When the car decides to push it, I have no idea.

Perhaps the best prevention would be a count down beep sequence before it fires any door command (up or down, because it could be in the wrong direction) that you can cancel.

Sort of like Navigate On AutoPilot with no confirmation. It tells you ahead and you can intervene before it does.

I do better than “pay attention”. I only push the button when I can give it my full attention and it’s in full view (including surroundings that could be headed towards it).

Last edited:
I’m not just looking at the door the whole time (especially when I’m under it) when it could randomly fire at any time.

When I use the button I know when it’s pushed. When the car decides to push it, I have no idea.

Perhaps the best prevention would be a count down beep sequence before it fires any door command (up or down, because it could be in the wrong direction) that you can cancel.

Sort of like Navigate On AutoPilot with no confirmation. It tells you ahead and you can intervene before it does.
Homelink has that.

Gives you an "Auto-open/close in ## feet" warning that counts down and you can Skip, and you can set it to beep when it activates.

Homelink has that.

Gives you an "Auto-open/close in ## feet" warning that counts down and you can Skip, and you can set it to beep when it activates.

But it doesn’t do that when opening (which could be a close command if it’s already open). That’s were OP got burned. Door was open. Car rebooted and opened again which initiated a close as he was pulling in.

But it doesn’t do that when opening (which could be a close command if it’s already open). That’s were OP got burned. Door was open. Car rebooted and opened again which initiated a close as he was pulling in.
It does on both our cars (Roadster doesn't have that functionality - natively).

Warns on opening and closing, just as I described, with the option to skip. And beeps.

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
What if your garage door unexpectedly starts closing while you're in the process of pulling in/out of your garage like happened to the OP? Even an audible beep may not give you enough time to realize what's happening for you to quickly reverse direction and avoid damage.
If you've got your garage door properly installed with the light beam across the front of the garage, then the garage door cannot close on your car (or child) ever. If you don't install the garage door safety equipment properly, or at all, then I guess neither the garage door opener nor the Homelink implementation is to blame.

If you've got your garage door properly installed with the light beam across the front of the garage, then the garage door cannot close on your car (or child) ever. If you don't install the garage door safety equipment properly, or at all, then I guess neither the garage door opener nor the Homelink implementation is to blame.
Wrong. See the picture and referenced building code posted above to understand how the light beam works.
Wrong. See the picture and referenced building code posted above to understand how the light beam works.
The beam is installed about 1" inside the door, and about 5" above the surface of the floor. It's the tire (or low bumper/air dam) that triggers the beam.
Go ahead and position your car with the front or rear bumper under the path of the door but not far enough for the light beam to be interrupted and see what happens.

Reactions: RedOctober
Anybody know if it's possible to wire in a SECOND pair of light beam safety reversing sensors that could mounted 18" from the ground? If so, it would protect the car without having to compromise code since you'd be keeping the child safety height beams.

??? every modern garage door opener comes with light beam sensors that prevent closing while an object interrupts the beam.

code requires it to be between 4-6”. That can be below the bumper (or with an SUV or truck, under the car. Only whe wheels will break the beam).

OK, then the code should take account bigger animals (inside Model 3 lol :D) being trapped under.

I suggest 2 two sets of sensors....one not higher than 6" and another set at say 1-4 feet.

Would that work?

Unfortunately for a Chaimberlin/Liftmaster opener the sensors communicate to the controller. Adding a second set will confuse the system.

I’ve thought about adding a higher sensor, then using a relay to disconnect the main sensors. That causes an error that reverses the door. But havent checked of the error conditions will cause other problems.

Anybody know if it's possible to wire in a SECOND pair of light beam safety reversing sensors that could mounted 18" from the ground? If so, it would protect the car without having to compromise code since you'd be keeping the child safety height beams.

see above.

ive also considered mirrors to put both sensors on the same side. It would be an alignment nightmare and not sure if the beam is strong enough. It would then be a bit like a bank heist movie with extra lasers.