Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Auto)-Installing FW Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
Below at bottom is post that I made in 5.8.4 thread in jest intending to make light fun of release anxiety. It was too subtle, so not understood, and turned into a discussion of "forced" updates, which DO NOT EXIST. Mods moved to this new thread (thank you). I've now edited this top post to explain EXACTLY how the update screen works.

If you get update notice (yellow alarm clock) and do nothing (do not click on it), it will just sit there and update will be deferred. At a later time, you may start up car and it may automatically open the update window, which is pasted below:

photo-22.JPG

You may 1) accept suggested time or change time and click "set for this time", 2) select "install now", 3) click the X at upper left corner. The first two will cause update to happen. The third will defer the update.

If you schedule update and then change your mind, just click the alarm clock again any time before the scheduled update. You'll get the following:

photo-21.JPG

If you select "postpone update", then the scheduled update is cancelled, the alarm clock goes yellow again, and you can either just wait, or reschedule/install at a later time.

I hope this puts to bed some of the confusion in the forum about "forced updates" and "automatic updates". I think that there have been situations where owners did not think to click the X, and thought their only options were install now or accept scheduled update.

******** Original post and responses below ************

Yipee, a new release! Lemme get these out of the way:

*joke** Am I the only one who hasn't gotten this #!*%# release yet? How does Tesla decide who to send it to? Why don't they like me? etc. etc. etc.

And:

**joke* No way am I accepting another bug-ridden release pushed to me by those incompetent dictators at Tesla until I see all the bugs reported and a .99 bug fix version. And, I get a personal call from the regional manager… no, wait, make that Elon Musk.

:smile:

Happy holidays, everybody!

above post was a joke re release anxiety but I guess too subtle for this group!!!!

Last edited:
*** No way am I accepting another bug-ridden release pushed to me by those incompetent dictators at Tesla until I see all the bugs reported and a .99 bug fix version. And, I get a personal call from the regional manager… no, wait, make that Elon Musk.

Unfortunately, minor releases will auto-update eventually. Even if you keep denying or delaying it, it will self-update after a while. I don't agree with that behavior at all. For example, what if my wife went into labor at 3:00am and I need to drive her to the hospital but the car is in the middle of a self-induced-auto-update?

Unfortunately, minor releases will auto-update eventually. Even if you keep denying or delaying it, it will self-update after a while. I don't agree with that behavior at all. For example, what if my wife went into labor at 3:00am and I need to drive her to the hospital but the car is in the middle of a self-induced-auto-update?

Do you have proof of this happening?

I agree with you, I would never guess that the car would auto update.

Agreed. I do not see why they would think it cool that the car is unusable for 45min. There are all kinds of customers in the world and someone is going to need their car during that time.

Just got my car 3 days ago and I got this offer to update the software last night. No way am I going to happily click accept, I work in the software business :) I will wait a week and carefully watch this forum for updates. No indications of anything bad so far, touch wood...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tomas
*** No way am I accepting another bug-ridden release pushed to me by those incompetent dictators at Tesla until I see all the bugs reported and a .99 bug fix version. And, I get a personal call from the regional manager… no, wait, make that Elon Musk.

Yobi, I hope you understood my post was humor with a bit of sarcasm, didn't you? I guess I cannot post such things anymore, because once they are taken out of context it appears I really meant it!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Not me but one of the other NJ owners did and he inquired to the queen's SC who responded back with 'car would do minor updates on its own.'

I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy… This is second false report of auto or forced update. Prove it or doesn't exist. The word of a guy that he heard something from someone at SC is meaningless.

I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy… This is second false report of auto or forced update. Prove it or doesn't exist. The word of a guy that he heard something from someone at SC is meaningless.

Simple. I get in my car this afternoon, there's a screen that shows a new software update is available, it's the default if you dismiss the screen to install the update at 3:00AM, well, if you didn't get in your car all day today, guess what? That update is going to apply itself at 3AM. Only by scheduling it later, sooner or delaying it, it won't install. The default with no user input is to install at 3AM. I didn't take a screenshot, but I'm sure someone can post it. FYI, mine is updating now, I like to do it while I'm awake so I can reboot the center screen and test the car.

Wrong. Click x at top of window to close and it is deferred. Does not update at 3 unless you accept.

No, you're wrong. If you don't get in your Model S, to decline the update, it defaults to installing at 3AM.
If you get the notification, and are not around to accept or decline it, it's installing at 3AM. No user input required.

Go look, there's a countdown clock until installation, meaning you are not around to accept or decline it, it's defaulting to a 3AM install time. Try it next time you get a notification, don't do anything, your update will install at 3AM.

Thomas is correct, at least with my car, this round. By not accepting the time, and just closing the dialog box, it has not updated my car for four successive days. It had my default install time set for 10pm, something I had chosen a couple of months ago. I had to go and confirm the time, before it would install... that or say Install Now.

Last edited:
Yipee, a new release! Lemme get these out of the way:

*** Am I the only one who hasn't gotten this #!*%# release yet? How does Tesla decide who to send it to? Why don't they like me? etc. etc. etc.

And:

:smile:

Happy holidays, everybody!
/confused

"Why am I not getting updates that I would refuse anyway?"
Perhaps Tesla is just optimizing here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to burst any bubbles out there ...

Early on, Tesla pushed out an update that was installed without owner notification in preparation for a major update. If memory serves .... 1.13.10 from 1.13.08.
My recollection is that it was from .8 to .14 but that no update since has been unprompted.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you're wrong. If you don't get in your Model S, to decline the update, it defaults to installing at 3AM.
If you get the notification, and are not around to accept or decline it, it's installing at 3AM. No user input required.

Go look, there's a countdown clock until installation, meaning you are not around to accept or decline it, it's defaulting to a 3AM install time. Try it next time you get a notification, don't do anything, your update will install at 3AM.
I clicked the X about a week ago (twice actually). My car has been unattended since then and REST logs are showing my version is unchanged.

My car sat for 48+ hours unattended and did not update. The following two days I dismissed the dialog. At the end of the fifth day, I accepted the 10pm scheduled update time (my car's default schedule). It was then updated and ready for me in the morning with confirmation and release notes displaying.

If you either a) don't open update window or b) press x, the update is deferred. If you press button to either install now or schedule for future time, it updates. That's fact over the 5 releases I've installed.

See modified post at top of this thread for step by step instructions with screenshots.

Last edited: