Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Settled for Intact for $2029 after calling 8 or 10 so places. Will hopefully go down if my driving habits are good (i opted for them to track my driving behaviour to get 10% off).

I'm currently with Intact and I went through this program. Not sure how they would track it for an electric car because it was a device I had to plug into my car electric component hooked up to the engine. What it tracks is how hard you accelerate, brake and time of day driving. You do this for 6+ months and then mail the device back to them. I personally recommend if you're a good driver as you it can only save you money. They will not increase your premium is my understanding, but don't quote me on it.

I think with Tesla, you can not guarantee your behaviour. forgot about 10%

I'm currently with Intact and I went through this program. Not sure how they would track it for an electric car because it was a device I had to plug into my car electric component hooked up to the engine. What it tracks is how hard you accelerate, brake and time of day driving. You do this for 6+ months and then mail the device back to them. I personally recommend if you're a good driver as you it can only save you money. They will not increase your premium is my understanding, but don't quote me on it.

The tracking is done via a Phone app now apparently. No device required. they give you 10% to start and it can increase another 15%. I'll be happy with just 5-8% and bring my premium to $1800 at this point next year.

The tracking is done via a Phone app now apparently. No device required. they give you 10% to start and it can increase another 15%. I'll be happy with just 5-8% and bring my premium to $1800 at this point next year.
I wonder if you can cheat with a phone app. Like set it up with a phone you don’t use and leave it at home most of the time and just bring it occasionally.

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
I wonder if you can cheat with a phone app. Like set it up with a phone you don’t use and leave it at home most of the time and just bring it occasionally.
Well I don't know if it runs in the background. I think you use it kind of like Google maps. So on days when I'm not in a rush, I can open the app to track my driving. Apparently you need a minimum of 1000 kms. So I'd pick and choose tracking. - Maybe ? Not sure yet..

Settled for Intact for $2029 after calling 8 or 10 so places. Will hopefully go down if my driving habits are good (i opted for them to track my driving behaviour to get 10% off).

I think with Tesla, you can not guarantee your behaviour. forgot about 10%

If your enquiring about tracking to reduce premiums check with each company to see how they do it. I believe many use an OBD-ll plug in device which won’t work with Model 3 as there is no interface.

Anyone have any updates from TD MelocheMonnex? Still doesn't seem to be in their system
Not in TD's system as of yesterday evening. They use the model S as a proxy, which in the end resulted in a reasonable rate (was quoted <$1000) -so i a. Hoping the M3 is an even better rate. I am going to wait until I have my delivery date before pressing them harder. They need the delivery date in order to set the insurance start date. So I am being patient...

Sonnet quoted Scarborough ~500/monthly. They don't want my business at all XD

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-14_11-26-24.png
    upload_2018-5-14_11-26-24.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Funny
go to kanetix.ca and run an online quote and it'll direct you to favourable rates. I got 1900 from one and $2000 from Intact.

Kanetix got me 3050/year. I talked to my home insurer and she first quoted me 2700 with Intact, now she's coming back saying it'll go up since I cannot bundle it with the house since I'm not the home owner even though my parents and I have the same address for the past ten years.

• Informative
Just an update. I asked about bundling home insurance because I figured the discount might make it a wash. Funny enough, adding home insurance dropped my auto insurance from $2029 to $1780 and then home insurance was $250 for $2030 total. Essentially costing me $1 extra for home insurance. LOL

Just got a quote of $1386 from The Personal. Keep in mind I don't live in Toronto so insurance is a bit cheaper.
This includes $2M liability, worry free option, first accident forgiveness and 5 years of depreciation coverage. Pretty much the maximum insurance you can get.

Also keep in mind that I get a phenomenal group discount due to my profession.