Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance for super-low mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reserved a Tesla. I'm also keeping my old BMW 2007 but I will drive less than 1000 miles per year. In fact I'll be parking it at a second home upstate. I've also got a '97 F150 I use for runs to the dump, which I use only 100 miles per year.

However, when I got an insurance quote for all 3 cars, I was surprised to find that the $$-cost to insure my two basically-unusued cars barely went down. So I'll be paying full price for the Tesla insurance, basically the same price for BMW, and the F150 which I hardly use at all still has a significant cost.

My wife and I only ever drive one car at a time, so having multiple cars like this doesn't increase our risk. The overall mileage we drive will stay the same.

Clearly this isn't a real-world representation of the risk that they are trying to insure against.

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will more accurately charge for this kind of usage?

I have a Durango that I use exclusivity to tow my boat. The last two years I have put less then 1800 miles on it and when I brought it up to the insurance company the deemed it "for pleasure" which only dropped my rate about 20 bucks a month.. Sad really..

Definitely check out State Farm - on top of the discount for the 7,500-or-less that @Zythryn mentioned, they have the "Drive Safe & Save" program that gives larger discounts as your mileage goes down; I think it does continue to increase the discount all the way to about 1,000 miles/year. We have to self-report your mileage every 6-months, but it's easy online. Our agent said we can combine the two discounts.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/drive-safe-save/drive-safe-save.asp