TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mark Camara, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Mark Camara

Mark Camara New Member

Any recommended Auto insurance companies that wont continue to raise rates on my Tesla despite zero accidents and limited miles. Geico and Allstate just continue to increase rates on this car

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I use Allied and was surprised at how low the rate was. Higher than my Acura, of course, but reasonable for NoCA.

3. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Interested to see messages from USAA member re insurance rates, particularly for renewals by longer-term owners.

4. PatD

PatD Member

#4 PatD, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    I'll be switching from Allstate to USAA when I take delivery this week. Quote I have from Allstate was around $3500/year for the Tesla and my 2004 MDX. USAA has me at $1530/year. That's with comparable or better coverage (And I have some high limits and low deductibles - comp is a $0 deductible, for example.)

Allstate currently has me at $1550 for my 2006 TL and 2004 MDX. So my insurance goes down by getting rid of my TL and going to a new Tesla and switching to USAA. Can only hope it sticks!

Do a search on here for USAA - lots of good comments.

5. megawhizz

megawhizz Member

Have had progressive for about 8mo, no increases so far.

6. zro ltr

zro ltr Member

I've had my car for just shy of four months. I have USAA. According to their website, once my policy renews, I'll be paying $824 for six months for full coverage on the S85 and my wife's '13 Sonic. For perspective, it was $327 for her car alone. Some people's insurance is going up after the first six months. Mine will go down down a few dollars.

7. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I'll put in my rates. I just switched from State Farm to Liberty Mutual. This is in Chicagoland.

This is YEARLY full coverage
    P85D $1361.00
    2013 Infiniti JX35 $898
    2008 Infiniti M35 $823
    2010 Infiniti G37 $774

250/500
    $100 comp deductible
    $500 collision Deductible

8. AlbertOnMars

AlbertOnMars Member

I am shopping for insurance right now as well, as I am about to purchase an S85. Currently have a 2013 Focus ST, and my insurance is $440 for 6 months with full coverage and $1K deductibles. Was quoted today:

$717 6/months $1000 deductible
    $854 6/months $500 deductible

Interestingly, with both cars the price drops to $609 with $1K deductible. But I'll be selling the ST once I have the Model S. This is with State Farm. Will be shopping around a bit, and I'm curious what other people are paying.

9. JMG

JMG Member

Feel free to PM me, I'm an agent in TX licensed with several companies and had to do a little research on who would write the Model S and what premiums are. I'm moving my own coverage so I can get the OEM Parts endorsement (no aftermarket parts) as well as the New Vehicle Replacement endorsement.

10. AlbertOnMars

AlbertOnMars Member

Done, thanks!

11. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

That sounds like my liberty mutual. I forgot to mention that mine includes new vehicle replacement first year and oem parts. After first year it is 1 year newer and less miles replacement

12. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

2012 TESLA MODEL S 4D ELEC PERFORMANCE

Premium $ 388.02 per 6 months

$1000 deductible. This is before multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts.

13. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I think you're essentially just handing money to the insurance company paying for an OEM Parts endorsement on this car right now. There are effectively no aftermarket for parts for this car. The only source of parts is Tesla. That's even true for windshields right now.

14. JMG

JMG Member

Regardless, the cost of the endorsement is worth it to me to avoid any conflicts at the time of repair. With Tesla producing 50k cars a year, who knows if in a couple of years whether aftermarket parts will be available or not. Without taking that endorsement it seems you are going on the hope that there aren't any aftermarket parts available. Part of insurance is peace of mind.

And Fezzik, it sounds familiar because Safeco is Liberty Mutual's agent distribution channel. Liberty Mutual is direct (no agent) as far as I know.

15. neko

neko Member

General Casualty. $1050 per year. That's with a $1000 deductible on collision.

16. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

There ya go. LM was the only one I could find that was reasonable with this new car replacement. ALso they offered GAP ins even if you did not finance through them like state farm wanted.

17. Law&Disorder

Law&Disorder Member

I'm currently with LM and they wanted $1,600 more a year to insure a P85D over my current insured 2013 BMW M5. I got on the phone with my broker this morning. Waiting to see what she comes up with.