Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change almost hit car in adjacent lane - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For texting purposes, I decided to see what would happen if I activated the turn signal to do an Auto Lane Change with a car in my blind spot. To my unpleasant surprise, the car actually started changing lanes, to the point where the guy in the lane honked at me. The strange this is that the display on the dash showed that it was picking up a vehicle on the sensor, but the car changed lanes anyway.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've not had the nerve to try engaging lane change anywhere near an adjacent car. I have noticed that it started changing lanes when the car in the new lane was going faster and would have had to slow down. Bad form!

After the aborted lane change, I did notice that it's AI feature cranked up the stereo so that I wouldn't hear the other driver honk at me.o_O

Lane change and AP2 have a long way to go before becoming "defensive" and "courteous".

It would be cool if AP3 could learn a drivers "style" (dozens of little nuances) and then drive that way in AP or FSD mode.

Reactions: Shaggy and Tomnook
I tested a few lane changing scenario as well, and as expected, it cannot "see" the car in the blind spot further away. Since it is only use the ultra-sonic sensors, it also cannot see a very fast approaching car. I had to cancel my land change and take over the steering wheel and get my car back into my lane.

I would not rely on the car's sensor to make the decision for lane changing for the moment, until it start using the 2 side camera.

On the other hand, I would certainly continue using the lane changing function after I believe it is safe to change lane.

Reactions: _jal_
I tested a few lane changing scenario as well, and as expected, it cannot "see" the car in the blind spot further away. Since it is only use the ultra-sonic sensors, it also cannot see a very fast approaching car. I had to cancel my land change and take over the steering wheel and get my car back into my lane.

I would not rely on the car's sensor to make the decision for lane changing for the moment, until it start using the 2 side camera.

On the other hand, I would certainly continue using the lane changing function after I believe it is safe to change lane.

What's strange though is that in my scenario, the utrasonic sensors did pick up the car in the blind spot, yet still went to do the lane change. You'd think it would have the programming that if object is detected, do not change lanes...can't be that hard to implement.

Reactions: Tomnook
I tried (intentionally, and with great care) auto-lane change with a car slightly to the front of my blind-spot (on left, but mostly in the blind spot), and it behaved perfectly to my surprise (waited for that car to pass, then moved into a nice gap). I also tried lane-changing to the right with a car to my immediate right, and it immediately started to turn right into the car with no hesitation.

So, I would conclude that lane-change might be trying to see obstacles, but you should absolutely NOT count on it at this time (as with AP1).

Reactions: Tomnook
My first test of the lane change was yesterday. There was no car in my blind spot but it did cut off the driver in the next lane. I was expecting it to wait but it started to cut him off.

I now check when using lane change. It has worked very smoothly at high speeds. It is cool to switch lanes when only using the lane Change signal.

I decided to see what would happen if I activated the turn signal to do an Auto Lane Change with a car in my blind spot. To my unpleasant surprise, the car actually started changing lanes, to the point where the guy in the lane honked at me.

How did you come to believe that the car would detect other cars and prevent a lane change in this situation? That is not listed as a feature or expected behavior anywhere.

The auto-lane change feature (both AP2 and AP1) means solely that the car will control steering for you when you order the lane change using the turn signal lever. It does not and is not designed to make the decision on whether the lane change is safe or not. That remains your responsibility at all times, no matter what driver aid systems you have activated.

Please read the owner's manual of the car and familiarize yourself with what the car can and cannot do before you get into an accident.

How did you come to believe that the car would detect other cars and prevent a lane change in this situation? That is not listed as a feature or expected behavior anywhere.

The auto-lane change feature (both AP2 and AP1) means solely that the car will control steering for you when you order the lane change using the turn signal lever. It does not and is not designed to make the decision on whether the lane change is safe or not. That remains your responsibility at all times, no matter what driver aid systems you have activated.

Please read the owner's manual of the car and familiarize yourself with what the car can and cannot do before you get into an accident.
No kidding. The other driver was almost hit due to this guy's negligence and then he has the nerve to post about it here.

The car clearly detects other cars...it dash display shows that its picking up an obstruction with the ultra sensors.

Going from that to assuming it would not do a lane change into an obstruction was just using logic.

If you watch, there are a lot of times when cars can be quite close to you and nothing shows and obstacle in the display. The ultrasonic sensors are of limited value at highway speed. Until they turn on the whole suite of cameras, there is no way that any serious/dependable obstacle avoidance will be possible. I think that is still a ways off, and they are focusing on AP1-parity, which means no side/rear obstacle avoidance (that is reliable).

The car did what you told it to do? And that's a problem?

It is a problem because the autopilot page says:

"...automatically change lanes without requiring driver input..."

"...Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic."

And drivers believe it NOW even those features are not finished yet but drivers may test the feature while the lanes are not clear and expect the system will not collide with an obstacle next lane.

Last edited:
I haven't been so bold as to even attempt to change lanes when anyone is close to me (in the next lane). What I don't understand is why sometimes the lane change occurs pretty soon after I engage in the turn signal and other times, it takes a real long time (or doesn't do it at all)? In all cases, I don't see any cars in my way and the lane markings are clear. (I have an AP1).