Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change feature no longer works.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tuesday I was driving on the interstate between Joplin and Springfield, Missouri on autopilot and about 30 miles into the trip the auto lane change function ceased functioning. Autopilot continued to function. Oddly enough it started diving for exit ramps again about the same time, which it has been very good about not doing since 7.1.
When signaling for a lane change on autopilot, it refuses to work but if I nudge the wheel even slightly while the turn signal is on it will disengage autopilot. I rebooted the console and the cluster and the behavior remains the same.
When I pull into my garage I can see that all of the ultrasonic sensors are firing.
Two days later and the lane change function is still non functioning.
I had the SC pull logs and nothing showed up. They contacted Freemont and they searched more deeply and found nothing.
The SC will take a look at the car next week to try to figure it out.

I've always found that to be intermittent. For me, it seems to work maybe half the time.

I assume you checked and made sure that auto lane change is turned on? It goes with the driver profile, so something to be aware of.

That was indeed the problem. When I created the new profile it kept everything on EXCEPT automatic lane change. Thank you!

This happened to me (fortunately I realized what happened), and yes it is intentional behavior. You don't want that setting to default to ON for a new driver profile. A new driver might not be aware of it, and you don't want a car changing lanes without the driver realizing that it's going to change lanes...so it's off by default in new profiles.

I thought the auto-lane change default setting is OFF. User needs to turn it ON. I don't think it is a bug.
"Bug" is one of those tricky words in the software industry.

It's definitely an "issue" IMO that when you have a profile with AutoLaneChange ON active and create a new profile the new profile "clone" does not include that feature setting but uses the default of OFF.

I've experienced random short term failures. both during the day and at night. It sometimes can last for miles sometimes it resolves itself quickly, sometimes it will allow lane changes to the right but not the left and sometimes the opposite and sometimes it won't work in either direction. remember it is a BETA and there will be flaws that pop up from time to time. nonetheless I am thrilled with the AP having driven on a 2k+ mile road trip using the AP the majority of the time driven.

"Bug" is one of those tricky words in the software industry.

It's definitely an "issue" IMO that when you have a profile with AutoLaneChange ON active and create a new profile the new profile "clone" does not include that feature setting but uses the default of OFF.
Todd explained it very well just one post before you, and I agree with him. "Bug" has a negative connotation in general discussion. If it is intended then it is not a "Bug". I agree that "issue" is a better term if someone is not pleased with the feature. Tesla decides on what is more appropriate for the majority, and if I don't like it then I have an issue with that feature. For example, I have an "issue" with the NA version of auto lane change, as I prefer the EU implementation.

A better approach would be, when a profile is cloned, to display the disclaimer and allow the user to turn it on right there. That's getting a bit in the weeds though--they have bigger fish to fry. Maybe someday...

This one bit me, too... Creating a new profile will turn auto-lane-change off for that new profile.

When I created a new driver profile on our Model X and then clicked "save", I made the assumption that the existing settings would be saved and that none would be reset. I was wrong. That behavior is odd, because it doesn't appear to reset everything else (mirrors, seats, etc.) back to defaults, but it does for driver assistance.

My Model X thread shows my bewilderment, then the utter stupidity I felt when I went into the settings screen and saw it had been changed.

Glad I found this thread - my auto lane change was "broken" suddenly with exactly the same symptoms as mentioned here: when you trigger the turn signal in AP it won't lane change but will very easily disengage if you nudge the wheel. I had tried making a Snow profile and then erased it but apparently this impacted settings in my default profile too for reasons that I cannot figure out. Auto Lane Change and Lane Departure Warning were both turned off and the sensitivity for the forward collision warning was changed to the default from where I'd moved it.