Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change not working without input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having to add steering wheel input in order for the car to change lanes with the confirmation setting OFF in my 3/22 built model 3. If I don't add torque to the wheel the car will signal, show the intended lane...and do nothing.

Aren't the U.S. spec cars supposed to work without input? Is it possible I have hardware/firmware meant for another region?

I'm having to add steering wheel input in order for the car to change lanes with the confirmation setting OFF in my 3/22 built model 3. If I don't add torque to the wheel the car will signal, show the intended lane...and do nothing.

Aren't the U.S. spec cars supposed to work without input? Is it possible I have hardware/firmware meant for another region?
Are you on FSD or AP? Where are you driving? As mentioned above, the two are on separate software stacks and behave differently. If you’re on AP you can tell because there will be a single blue line in the middle (like in the picture above) and no red/yellow lines marking the side of the road.

The car will change lanes automatically in FSD but not in AP.

Are you on FSD or AP? Where are you driving? As mentioned above, the two are on separate software stacks and behave differently. If you’re on AP you can tell because there will be a single blue line in the middle (like in the picture above) and no red/yellow lines marking the side of the road.

The car will change lanes automatically in FSD but not in AP.
Again, not true…. I use FSD almost always and it still requires torque before it will change lanes.

Agreed. It’s maddening and annoying

Again, not true…. I use FSD almost always and it still requires torque before it will change lanes.

Not clear if you have FSD beta (the private beta that you have to qualify for with a safety score), but:

- assuming you don't, then your FSD is just standard NoA on the highway.

- assuming you do, FSD beta uses the same code as standard NoA when you are on a highway. You can see the visualization change to the classic gray lane lines and blue pathing line.

For both of the above "FSD" situations, the behavior should be the same as everyone else on the highway.

But on FSD beta, on local roads, the car changes lanes without any user confirmation or nags. That's what people were trying to explain. When tesla gets rid of the reliance of old NoA code in the FSD beta code branch (what people refer to as a single code stack, or just "single stack"), then most likely the new highway functionality will match that of current FSD beta city streets and not require any wheel torque or confirmation anymore.

There are too many unknown variables here to answer your question.
@sleepydoc is correct, it depends on what you purchased and what kind of road you're driving on.
If you just own normal AP it will not change lanes - changing lanes is an FSD feature
Having FSD beta adds an extra stack on top of the existing AP/old FSD feature set
FSD (Not beta, old AP stack) will change lanes on highway without constant wheel pressure - use that every time I'm on the highway, works well
FSD (Not beta, old AP stack) gets really picky about lane change when its not a highway, sometimes it won't allow right->left changes but will allow left.>right changes. This is usually where the torque is needed, even then it will just not do it.
FSD beta will change lanes on most roads based on the settings you have - I've found it to be lane change happy if anything.

Reactions: clydeiii

Did you purchase FSD? Only FSD purchase includes Auto Lane change today. This applies to Navigate on Autopilot as well. You can refer to the User Manual for full descriptions. You don't mention what features you purchased, but since you mention 'the confirmation setting OFF', it sounds like you may have FSD.

Is this a new behavior? I have had confirmation ON for a while now, and that works well, requiring a stalk pull or turn signal to confirm a lane change (or initiate one without the car planning one.)

just to add, after some extra testing today.
FSD beta does not need hand on wheel to change lanes on any road.
AP only seems to need it when its not sure if its a real divided highway, and then only when switching to the left lane. Switching to the right lane doesn't care if you have hands on wheel or not.
But - caveat - I have FSD beta and by definition, FSD

On city streets? Not in my experience.
Agreed. As many others have posted, FSD reverts to AP on limited access highways and behaves as such. You can tell what system it’s on by looking at the screen. If it‘s a single blue line (for navigate on AP) or two blue lines you’re on AP and you will need to confirm lane changes. If you see red and yellow lane lines it’s on FSD and will do everything. The one exception is that Navigate on AP will take some exits. I’ve found this to be hit and miss, though.